THE PAVILION ANNEX

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: THE PAVILION ANNEX

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:15 pm

I'm sorry but the internet is a vital resource. The left would have zero power without it. Worldwide activism can only work when we connect. The cheapest, best way to connect is with the net. You also get media and reporting you would never get in the awful mainstream media, which has become a propaganda wing of the Pentagon.

All my Chomsky videos, radio interviews, weird ideas, would not exist without the net. Ironically, the same net would not exist without military funding--note Arpanet.

Harlan may not need access to this stuff, but many do. He will disagree but I think it comes down to him being a bit old fashioned.

Richard Keeney

Postby Richard Keeney » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Thanks Frankie.

Nauseous,
Rick
"It would be interesting to know what it is men are most afraid of. Taking a new step, uttering a new word is what they fear most."
--F. Dostoievsky, from CRIME AND PUNISHMENT

Richard Keeney

Postby Richard Keeney » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:28 am

possible pirates

would someone with more patience than me like to look at these two sites:

4shared.com
scribd.com

Poppy Z. Brite mentioned them on her (very cool) blog: http://docbrite.livejournal.com/. She notified them that they'd posted copyrighted material of hers without permission.

it looks like "Susan" is posted on scribd.com, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at, or if it's legal or not. So......

Would some industrious blue monkey please take a look-see?

peace,
Rick
"It would be interesting to know what it is men are most afraid of. Taking a new step, uttering a new word is what they fear most."

--F. Dostoievsky, from CRIME AND PUNISHMENT

sjarrett

Postby sjarrett » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:02 am

Richard Keeney wrote:would someone with more patience than me like to look at these two sites:

4shared.com
scribd.com

No idea about 4shared.com, but scribd.com is apparently copacetic. Here's Harlan himself on the subject, from a Pavilion post dated February 10, 2009:

Harlan wrote:Scribd.com is A-OK with me. Within days of their posting my work (last year), I and my attorneys had contacted them, and in about two days thereafter the CEO and his partner, and their excellent attorney, were sitting around the Ellison Wonderland dining room table. A deal was struck, and they were absolutely gracious, aboveboard and understanding of my concern. We reached a very satisfactory rapprochement, and Scribd.com acquired the right to post "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" legitimately and with my complete pleasure.

Steve J.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:50 am

You know folks it's absolutely none of my business but I'd be fascinated to know what "a very satisfactory rapprochement" consisted of. Any of you scriveners out there care to guess?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:04 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:You know folks it's absolutely none of my business but I'd be fascinated to know what "a very satisfactory rapprochement" consisted of.

Pay the writer.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:19 pm

I aint payin ya shit.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:26 pm

FrankChurch wrote: -----------------

My Grandpa is now in Hospice care. A bad year for us all. Hope 2010 is better.

---------------

Good luck.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:59 pm

aww

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:47 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I aint payin ya shit.

Would you like a paper or plastic bag to go with that shit, Mr. Church? Or did I misunderstand your cant? Do you need some rolling papers? :lol:

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:31 pm

Dat some good chit, mon.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:55 pm

David Loftus wrote:Dat some good chit, mon.

Sink me! I'll take your chit for gaming debts, Sir, :P and raise you a hundred that Jackson takes the mill in two rounds.
Signed,
Sir Percival Blakeney

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:44 am

Tony blankley said that Obama's policies were "radical." That just tells you how nutty the right has gone. They went from sincere to ulta-fascist. Fearful times ahead.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:34 pm

Dear Frank,
What piece of artwork is your avatar? :D I can see up your nose and it looks like your tonsils need to be removed. :lol: Not that there's anything wrong with that. I preferred the other one. :wink:

Well, it looks as though airline security is going to become even more cumbersome and tedious.

An ethics question posed by the UU group I attended yesterday with a friend.

Was it unethical for the father of the terrorist who set off the bomb on the Amsterdam flight to turn him in to the FBI?

If not, was it unethical for the FBI not to put him on the "no fly" list?

We all went to Saul's in Berkeley after the meeting and I had a kosher hot dog. Yum! :wink:
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:37 pm

Dear Frank,
I prefeered your cocker spaniel avatar, because she looked loke my Sparky Beth. Just Sayin.

Return to “General”