THE CRITTER THREAD (PETS! not "Criterion disc sets")

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Jan

Re: THE CRITTER THREAD (PETS! not "Criterion disc sets")

Postby Jan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:14 pm

Wrong again. :) The avatar is Bonnie who had three colors. She's long passed on but closely matched my personality. (Wasn't my dog though, they're all my mother's, as I like to remind her when I'm busy. (We live in the same area.))
Julie has pointy ears, and Bonnie had ears that folded in.
Julie thinks she's a human being, doesn't relate to other dogs at all, mostly ignores them. They are non-entities. Their owners are always surprised (and perhaps slightly offended) because it's rare.

But enough about them, back to the rest of you. :)

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:23 pm

Jan wrote:Wrong again. :) The avatar is Bonnie who had three colors. She's long passed on but closely matched my personality.

Intelligent, insightful and interesting? :) (And you thought I was too busy trolling YouTube for stupid commercial videos to flirt outrageously! :wink: )

Jan wrote:Julie thinks she's a human being, doesn't relate to other dogs at all, mostly ignores them. They are non-entities. Their owners are always surprised (and perhaps slightly offended) because it's rare.

But enough about them, back to the rest of you. :)

Hey, this is everyone's thread, it's all'about the pets! :) Does Julie sit at the table to eat? Hush (Mum's dog) used to do that, and bang her paw on the table until she got a plate placed in front of her.
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:49 pm

Not to add a note of angst to the thread, but Cris and I have decided we need to take Gig to the vet. He's losing weight again, which is not a good sign given his medical history. (Four years ago we nearly lost him to a genetic liver problem.)

More to come, but his appearance, while as happy and tail-wagging as ever, is distinctly gaunt these days.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:02 am

Steve, let us know how it goes, please

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:19 pm

I miss my Sister's Jack Russell. Those are some smart dogs, beyond their weirdo qualities

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:22 pm

Barber wrote:Not to add a note of angst to the thread, but Cris and I have decided we need to take Gig to the vet. He's losing weight again, which is not a good sign given his medical history. (Four years ago we nearly lost him to a genetic liver problem.)

More to come, but his appearance, while as happy and tail-wagging as ever, is distinctly gaunt these days.

Steve, I second what Diane said. Having a funky liver myself, I'll pass along something that an old nurse said to me. I'd check it out with a vet, 'cause I know that some sweet things (like chocolate) are deadly poison to dogs.

She told me that a spoonful of REAL maple syrup per day can help the liver regenerate. Something about glycogen, which the liver stores, and is contained in maple syrup is helpful. I find I can buy grade B maple syrup (the kind that is really thick, brown, and tastes REALLY maple-y) in bulk at a health food store. I know it's helped my liver regenerate, at least if my most recent MRI scans are correct.

Here's hoping that this is something that might help Gig. [fingers crossed]
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:05 pm

Thanks Diane and Gwyn.

Bit of an update: The vet checked him out yesterday and we're supposed to get blood test results today. He's lost six pounds in three months, which is less than you would expect from his appearance. This morning he didn't get out of bed (well, off the couch) for his morning pills -- which he considers a treat because it's given to him in catfood. (He loves ethnic food.) He also seemed to feel a bit hot to the touch.

Cris reported that he took his later-in-the-day pills a bit more enthusiastically, but still seemed lethargic. In addition to his regular SAM-e, vitamins and daily Pepcid, he's also on an anti-nausea med and an antibiotic. The vet also detected a couple of infected teeth -- which could lead to virtually all of the symptoms if it's causing him enough pain he's not eating his regular (hard) dog food.

We're obviously hoping for the later. His liver enzymes will tell us which direction to move in.

Keep yer fingers crossed.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:18 pm

Barber wrote:[snips] The vet also detected a couple of infected teeth -- which could lead to virtually all of the symptoms if it's causing him enough pain he's not eating his regular (hard) dog food.

We're obviously hoping for the later. His liver enzymes will tell us which direction to move in.

Keep yer fingers crossed.

I've got fingers and toes crossed for Gig. I hope it's the sore teeth, 'cause those are relatively easily healed with some doggie dentistry and antibiotics, yes? :( Poor guy. I hope all his liver enzyme tests come back with good results and that he's on the mend soon. Keep us posted, Steve. :)
STAR WARS (1977)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:11 am

Thanks Gwyn -- Whatever it was you prayed, it may have worked.

Message on the voicemail when we got home from the vet. Liver enzymes are elevated, but nowhere near his worst levels. This may be handled by some meds and a possible return to steroids -- but at the moment nobody is panicking at the vet's office. Probably can be moderated by restricting his diet and being a little more diligent with his vitamins.

Tonight, he's his usual bouncy self.

Keeping our fingers crossed.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:16 am

Steve and Cris, happy for the better news about Gig. Will continue with crossed fingers and toes, like Gwyn.
Frank, they are good dogs. Have you thought of getting one? There's nothing like a pet to come home to.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:59 am

FrankChurch wrote: Those are some smart dogs, beyond their weirdo qualities

Aye indeed. Back home, our Jake is a master manipulator. Has us all wrapped around his paw he does, gets whatever he wants. But you've never met a more affectionate dog (at least that's what he lets on. Maybe that's just part of the manipulation.)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:01 pm

Jake is a jack russell?

I'd name a dog Harlan of course..lol

Gwyneth M905

Happy Birthday, Steve & make sure Gig stays out of the truff

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:21 pm

Happy Birthday, Steve!
Posting this here to remind you to keep Gig away from those chocolate roses and double chocolate truffles..... :P :D
Hugs to you and Cris and ear scritches to Jazz, Gig, Frankie and...what's the name of your other kitteh? :roll:
Anyway, big hugs to all!!
STAR WARS (1977)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:01 am

Thanks for the scritches, Gwyn. The second cat is 'Saba', though you will never see her. Quite skittish except around Cris and me. Feline nicknames of "Sob" and "Doodlebug".

:(

Sad update: Gig is not eating. He turns his nose up at many things, including peanut butter and cat food. this limits the ways we can give him his pills. He ate some bread, and a couple of good pieces of steak from dinner, but nothing else. He's losing weight and not interested in his dog food or any of his regular treats (milkbone, etc.)

Cris has gone to the market to get him some wet dog food in the hopes that gets his attention.

The pattern is similar to what we experienced four years ago, and it may not end well.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:32 am

Hi, Steve. Happy belated birthday. And maybe this is a good time to say thank you very much for all the stuff you do here so we can have this place.
I am hoping hard that Gig feels better soon. Diane

Return to “General”