Depression

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Chuck Messer

Re: Depression

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:29 pm

If you're like me, the problem could be physical/chemical. Not only concerning serotonin levels, but also my allergies can throw me out of whack and leave me tired and depressed. I hate that shit. I hope you have a leveling-out soon.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:16 am

Lori, the black dog got me too today. This winter sucks. I will now go back to grinning and bearing it.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:16 pm

Diane, think of the snow as fun crystals.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:37 pm

I'd like to think you were trying to be helpful, but that was trite. Not the same thing, Frank.

Diane,

This season has been rough. Life-threatening weather is horrid. Ben just walked up to me and said, "It's burning cold outside." GOddamn right.

But I looked up arboretums in the greater Chicago area on Fodor's site on your behalf, Diane. There are at least two that are free. It won't always work, but in this situation, sitting and chilling on a bench in a greenhouse may make all the difference. Especially wen we are seeing these deadly fucking sunshiny days. ANd I know that I know ad you know and Lori and everyone else knows, that sometimes nothing helps. Not even the thought that "This too shall pass." Even though it's true.

If I were Lori (and you've surely noticed that I amn't.), but if I were, I'd be headed dead on for a hike among trees as big as gods. Because we need something drastic, and nature can fit that 'something' to a T.

http://www.nps.gov/redw/index.htm

As for me and my winter frostbrain, we are planning a trip to the Como Park Arboretum, and I am taking DEMON WITH A GLASS HAND in its graphic form. Because near-perfection not only exists, it abounds.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:54 pm

Rick

You are an amazingly kind and compassionate soul. Despite all your suffering you are thinking of others.

If it weren't for a seriously limited budget, I'd be there at least three times a week. But, I'll settle for the local major park and all it's little nooks and crannies. It's something I haven't done in a long time, and you're right nature seems to be able to bring even the low of us back to some semblance of normal.

My suggestion to you. Build a blanket fort with Ben and then the two of you can sit and read together.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:41 pm

Rick Keeney wrote:
If I were Lori (and you've surely noticed that I amn't.), but if I were, I'd be headed dead on for a hike among trees as big as gods. Because we need something drastic, and nature can fit that 'something' to a T.

http://www.nps.gov/redw/index.htm

There is no doubt about this, Rick. My own therapy...necessary two or three times per year...consists of a drive through Joshua Tree or other parts of the Mojave Desert. I stop several times and walk away from the car. The silence and immensity of my surroundings is a profound thing. There is an effect of nature upon one's emotional and physical well being that cannot be replaced.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:57 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:My suggestion to you. Build a blanket fort with Ben and then the two of you can sit and read together.

Now THAT is brilliant.

Barber wrote:The silence and immensity of my surroundings is a profound thing.

Arizona, the entire state is such an immensity. It's my home, and I miss mountains. Too, the desert. Politics are absurd there, Momma Nature rules all else there.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:50 pm

Strangely enough, I'm very very grateful for the winter. The temperature numbs the senses. It distracts me. The cold on the flesh gives an outlet for the pain in the brain.

I personally find the spring the most depressing time to be depressed. The flowers and the bird-song, the lovely new scents and the kind warm winds, all the signs of re-emerging life - it torments me. It mocks me. The smells bring back too many memories, both bad ones, which return to linger, and good ones, which taunt by their inaccessibility, their transiency. I haven't felt this way in a long time. I know it will pass; it has passed before, it will pass again. I hope it will pass in time for spring. Then the pathetic fallacy will be complete.

Lori, I completely understand about sudden, causeless panic. Take a deep breath. Find something to distract yourself. Anything at all. You were there when I needed you; don't hesitate to ask if you need the favour returned.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:13 pm

Funny,

The other day, a friend of mine calls me up out of the blue, and asks if I'd want to get involved in some internet radio project. We talked for a while, and I got really excited by the possibilities, and started envisioning things. Then I realized, with a shot, that during that tiny time-span, I hadn't given then slightest thought to my recent troubles. It was clear out of my mind, and I felt my old self again. It didn't last of course - worries all started dripping back the next day (gotta love monotonous work), and certain triggers couldn't help but exacerbate.

But it was like a preview, a sneak peak. This will not last forever.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:28 pm

Thanks Rick Lori and everyone. I am currently with out a driver's license (long story, but PARKING TICKETS and a crazy village that I live in). All will be resolved soon and hopefully winter will go away early. Thanks again. And a special thanks to Rick Wyatt and Steve B. for establishing this place of refuge from the storms.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:25 pm

Steve Evil wrote:Strangely enough, I'm very very grateful for the winter. The temperature numbs the senses. It distracts me. The cold on the flesh gives an outlet for the pain in the brain.

I go into mode when I'm outside in the cold. I think the tempearture elevates my senses. (Other than touch and smell.) Shoveling a manageable snow, running to the corner store, taking a walk. It's all good. Unless I'm over-extended. Carrying a child in sub-zero is no damn good. The walk through the parking lot with a child in tow is no goddamn good. Way too fucking stressful on far too many vital systems. Add any emotional element or added degree of strain or pain and it all sucks. Carrying in groceries or an extra heavy snowfall and FUCK YOU mother nature. Also driving in the shit? Same fuck you. Feel me?

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:26 pm

*temperature

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:53 pm

yep

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:03 pm

Ok, so I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I'm depressed. I've had a gallon of coffee and half a gallon of Dr. Pepper and I'm still sleepy. This sucks.....

I cannot wait to get this done and over with some time soon. Even though I know that it's gonna happen again.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:49 pm

Live for the breaks in between. . .

These days I seem to have the opposite problem. Can't get to sleep. Which sucks 'cause I do a morning shift. Anxiety. Heart pounding, stomach clenching, hands twitching. It was really awful earlier today; not so much now, but I has been years since it was that bad.

Hoping for a calm weekend. . .

Return to “General”