Depression

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: Depression

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:00 am

Try just one more day. And when that's done. . .try one more. Don't think of the future as a gaping chasm, but a pothole to be jumped over. One at a time. . .

This last winter, I worked ridiculously early shifts at a warehouse. Right around that time I had another personal crisis, and it was like salt on the wounds. I'd lie awake at night, crawl out of bed before the sun rose, and arrive at that dead end job in the dark, cold and exhausted, lonely, and utterly demoralized, to face hours and hours of drudge work that offered no distraction.

I had to get out.

So I completely understand that part of it. Fortunately, I've never had to deal with medical insurance like that - though I did once lose a promising gig because the British police dragged their heals on my records check - but the employment sounds all too familiar.

If there's anything at all that offers any kind of relief, grab in and hang onto it and keep afloat. Hang in there, one hour at a time. . .

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:23 am

Chuck

Just a suggestion, one I'm not sure you are aware of or not.

Most big Pharm companies have what is euphemistically called a Customer Cares Program, which can help you either pay a bit less or nothing at all for their meds.

You may want to check and find out if the companies who make the most important meds do this and apply. The worst that will happen is that you remanin where you are/.

Tim Raven

Postby Tim Raven » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:41 pm

Chuck, Steve E. is correct, one day at a time, don’t let the days beyond that bring you to a standstill. Also, if the company is leaning on you heavily to cover shifts due to being short staffed then you may be in a position to negotiate some additional paid time off once the staffing situation is rectified. I’d have that conversation now, rather than later. Try to plan some Chuck time recreation in the near future so that you have something to look forward to; that light on the horizon can help you slog through the difficult days ahead.

And remember, moving on to something else is always an option. You are in control of your life, not others.

Don’t forget to write a poem about how this situation feels to you. I’d love to read it.

Hang in there Chuck, please stay in touch!

Tim

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Oct 08, 2014 6:48 pm

My main problem right now is fatigue. Bone-deep fatigue. I'm getting irritable and can feel the clinical depression come creeping in. Lori, I've got an order in with my insurance prescription "service", but it may take two to three weeks to fill them. I'm going to contact my physician to see if I can get some samples or something to tide me over. Maybe expedite the order. I also need my heart meds. Damn, it was so much nicer to deal with a face-to-face pharmacist than with this faceless bureaucracy.

Maybe, MAYBE I can get the 30th and 31st off this month.

In the meantime, here comes another night.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:42 am

Oh, goody. It seems I've misplaced three hundred dollars cash. It was probably when I was making change. Jesus, this sucks. Three hundred fucking dollars.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:59 am

Chuck Messer wrote:Oh, goody. It seems I've misplaced three hundred dollars cash. It was probably when I was making change. Jesus, this sucks. Three hundred fucking dollars.

"Misplaced" suggests you may be able to find it?
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:02 am

Nope. It's gone, baby, gone. Probably a screw-up when I gave change. My brain is pudding. I can't think properly.

Chuck

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:29 am

Fuck.

Chuck, you need some time off to collect. Get your head back on straight. Any chance you could get a week?
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:19 am

Chuck Messer wrote:Oh, goody. It seems I've misplaced three hundred dollars cash. It was probably when I was making change. Jesus, this sucks. Three hundred fucking dollars.

I've done that. Quite recently. Yeah. Not fun. . .

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:05 am

Our financial person, Angie, looked over the recording of the suspected transaction. I placed the customer's three hundred to one side, counted out the change and absent-mindedly put it on top of the $300 and gave the whole thing to him. Holy shit. Nobody's angry, and Angie told me not to stress about it. I also tried to help out when the automatic truck scale went wonky, so I've put in 14 hours. I think I'll get the 30th and 31st off, making a four-day weekend. That's about the best to hope for until we've got a whole crew back on the job. No hard feelings at work. I think I'll collapse into bed and sleep this off.

Oh, and yesterday morning, as if I wasn't tired enough at about 10:00 my doorbell rang and there was a guy at the door who wanted to talk to me about Our Lord God. Yeah, that was a big help. I wasn't rude, but I let him know I was sleeping.

Chuck

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:29 am

Chuck

You now have a pretty bulletproof reason for asking for some time off. If you could have taken care of your self before the incident you wouldn't have made the mistake right?

Point this out to the person in charge of the scheduling, I'm sure you will get a bit of time off.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:59 pm

Chuck
Since they know which customer, is it possible to retrieve -- at least a record of license plate or other reference?

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:20 pm

The guy's a regular. I just have to see how honest he is. I was asked to at least try.

Now, I just need to get my fuckin' meds.

Chuck

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:47 am

Is there any way the company would let him see the video they showed you? And if you have to be an ass, you could remind him that doing the right thing is better than a stint in a small claims court.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:11 pm

A warm long hug for you, Chuck. Hope things look up soon.

Return to “General”