Getting older

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

diane bartels

Getting older

Postby diane bartels » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:14 pm

I have noticed that since turning 50 a couple years back, I've started calling everyone kiddo. I am worried. My nephews and niece and Kafka ok. But all of a sudden, everyone is kiddo. What's next, calling waitresses dearie? This is not fun, not fun at all

Ezra Lb.

Re: Getting older

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:35 pm

Yep kiddo getting older sucks.

Of course it beats the living hell right outta the alternative.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Tony Rabig

Postby Tony Rabig » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:41 pm

Diane,

Memorize Ezra's answer -- getting older does indeed beat the alternative by a fair country mile. By an urban mile too. By lotsa parsecs, in fact.

I'll be 63 if I make it to November, and have been using "kiddo" for quite a while now (haven't started calling waitresses "dearie," or "sweetie," or "sugar," or whatever yet -- they might not like it and I'm pretty sure it would raise my wife's eyebrows a little...). If using "kiddo" bothers you, try a few different terms. "Whippersnapper," for instance.

Bests,

--tr, who long ago embraced his inner geezer
--tr

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:00 pm

Tony Rabig wrote:Diane,

Memorize Ezra's answer -- getting older does indeed beat the alternative by a fair country mile. By an urban mile too. By lotsa parsecs, in fact.

Um. Not to pick at nits, but if you don't grow older, you'd never know there was an alternative.

Unless your name is Jeffty, of course.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:29 am

I'll be 42 in 12 days time. Even I get to call Kafka Kiddo. Its not meant to be insulting or anything, its just a term of endearment. Its a complement in many ways.

Getting older is just one of those things. But I think if you stay young at heart then you remain as young as you want to be.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:36 am

I once had a boss who was a good ten years older than me who I often referred to as Kid or Kiddo. He never objected, the label fit. It's all a state of mind (except the muscle pain).

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:09 am

Department of FWIW: A certain notable author, with whom we are all familiar, still calls me "Kiddo" with some frequency. I'm 51.

As Mark indicates, t's a matter of perspective I think.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:23 am

Diane, Harlan has kiddo copyrighted. You know he is on that issue.

I'm the complete opposite. I love getting old, believing that age is a signal of wisdom. When I was a kid I hung with the adults. I never wanted to be a kid. I always wanted to drink booze, have fun with pretty girls and drive high octane cars. Maybe that's James Bond.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:07 am

FrankChurch wrote:Diane, Harlan has kiddo copyrighted. You know he is on that issue.

I'm the complete opposite. I love getting old, believing that age is a signal of wisdom. When I was a kid I hung with the adults. I never wanted to be a kid. I always wanted to drink booze, have fun with pretty girls and drive high octane cars. Maybe that's James Bond.

That's scary. I was the same way.

I have to admit, though, that it has become a very cool thing at the gym to be continually mistaken for someone a decade younger than I am and, upon revealing my true age, being the brief focus of awe.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:02 am

Hi guys. Thanks. Kiddo is a term of affection for me. My dad used to call my mom kid. There are things that are cool about being my age. Not caring about extraneous bs. Being more self confident. It's just unlike Frank and Mark, I never wanted to grow up. I knew being a kid was enchanted. I loved college.

On the how cool is this meter, a waiter carded me a few months ago. I almost asked him to marry me. It may have just been a ploy to get the tip up. It worked.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:43 am

I have to admit, though, that it has become a very cool thing at the gym to be continually mistaken for someone a decade younger than I am and, upon revealing my true age, being the brief focus of awe.

What's the use of looking a decade younger if you're not going to lie and tell everyone you are a decade younger? :wink:
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:19 pm

It's the looks of awe, Ezra. That's worth spilling the truth.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:56 pm

Diane

At least you don't have my problem. When I was under 21, no one believed me when I told them my age. Now that I've passed that by a few decades no one will believe that either.

What's a girl to do?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:56 pm

Lori, I'm confused. Did they think you looked younger or older?

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:08 am

I don't necessarily fear getting older - I've been a grumpy old man in spirit if not flesh for years now - but I do fear getting there before I've done certain things. The clock ticks. . .

Return to “General”