THE CHILI MAVENS

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: THE CHILI MAVENS

Postby Moderator » Sun May 19, 2013 11:28 am

Ezra Lb. wrote:Not to worry. I appreciate the recipe and will try it since I do loves me some chili. What do you think would happen if I substituted a pinch of habanero or jalapeno for the cayenne?

It would be even hotter, obviously. Try it first with double the cayenne and then plan accordingly. Could be an interesting change, tho.

(We tried it with double the chili powder and it unfortunately overwhelmed any kind of subtlety in the flavoring. It lost the nuances, IMHO.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun May 19, 2013 12:52 pm

Cayenne sticks in the mouth too long. Negative fire is the devil's only friend.

Habanero tabasco, great stuff.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun May 19, 2013 2:16 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Cayenne sticks in the mouth too long. Negative fire is the devil's only friend.

Habanero tabasco, great stuff.

I love Tabasco. Never really tried it until the ad, some years ago, of the Cajun in the swamps peppering his pizza with it. Mosquito lands, feeds, departs and explodes. Yes.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Sun May 19, 2013 8:03 pm

Alrighty, I did acquire that Ibarra box. There are six individually wrapped disks in the hexagonal-shaped box. A little bit of this stuff will go a long way.

Picked up another 25 Habanero peppers, paprika and a one pound bag of Chile Arbols. There is now a surplus of chocolate and peppers to give folks during the holidays.

The concoction looks to take shape this week, with a final recipe posted towards Saturday.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon May 20, 2013 11:29 am

Just a suggestion, but you could use the rest of the Ibarra to make a killer hot chocolate.

Just disolve two triangles of it in a mixture of four ounces of milk and the same amount of heavy cream. Or if you really want decadence skip the milk and do a full cup of cream.

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Tue May 21, 2013 8:18 pm

IBARRA CHOCOLATE

I haven't had any ultra-decadent hot chocolate ever, so I think I'll have to try something like that, Lori. I see Ibarra's listed "cinnamon flavor," which you suggest will make a unique play on everything else in the habanero sauce.

Most likely I'll put a bigger dent in that first disk by attempting to make another cup or two of Ellison Café Diabolique. The Hornbook (which contains that recipe) is in another room, but if I recall correctly, instant coffee is preferred. I've heard good things about Taster's Choice, so that may be the coffee component for the beverage -- and I know I have a relatively new Spice Islands cardamom jar around. I did buy some Ovaltine (malt variety) a few weeks ago but it's not doing much for me. Maybe my taste buds have matured.

That looks to be a tasty recipe, Steve. I'm hungry. Thanks mucho grande, pardner.

The cheese I'm looking for is actually a Spanish one called Manchego. Sheep cheese. Still trying to hunt that down again. Seems like it would make a nice topping over some chili.

one more thing ... vinegar is a vital component of most hot sauces. Any suggestions? I've been into fish 'n' chips vinegar lately, but that may not float with a SouthWest themed hot sauce. Salsa Kutbil-ik de Chile Habanero (which inspired this project) doesn't contain vinegar, but it does have acetic acid. Thinkin' that adds a proper tanginess there.

... oh, and just one more thing. I saw some daytime tv today! Yowza. Haven't done that in years. Rachel Ray and Dr. Oz were on the tube talkin' food while I was in a Jiffy Lube. She suggested a smidge of mint against fresh cilantro as a unique pairing. May have to try that.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue May 21, 2013 8:57 pm

Ya may wanna stick with milk until ya get the right ratio of chocolate to liquid figured out. A bit less expensive that way.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu May 23, 2013 10:04 am

Lori will be our chili mama.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Thu May 23, 2013 2:33 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Lori will be our chili mama.

Thanks. I've always had this strange ability to "taste". things before putting them in my mouth. I get it wrong once in awhile, but oh well.

I blame it on all the Bobby Flay stuffs I watch on the Food Network.

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Thu May 23, 2013 5:36 pm

FUSION GLOPS

Had me some kale and lentils lately -- mixed in some egg noodles. Gettin' tired of egg noodles but for me it was kale for the first time. I liked it. Noticed HE's mention of butter and garlic and meatballs 5-22-13.

I like jambalayas and stews 'n' stuff that you can dump on a bed of brown rice or noodles. I often add a drizzle of tahini over these steaming bowls. Steve's recipe calling for celery reminded me that it's good with ground beef chili.

Typo in my last post. Should have read Rachael Ray.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 24, 2013 11:26 am

My sex fantasies about Rachael Ray are sick. lol

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri May 24, 2013 2:49 pm

FrankChurch wrote:My sex fantasies about Rachael Ray are sick. lol

Frank, this is a prime example of the deliberately offensive hit and run non-sequiturs which bug everyone on the boards.

Please.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed May 29, 2013 6:27 pm

http://tinyurl.com/nvu5mxh

A link to a really interesting article on the science behind the Chill.

Duane

Postby Duane » Thu May 30, 2013 6:33 pm

My favorite chili recipe:
FAJITA CHILI
Add the following into a slow cooker:
2x16 oz cans cooked pinto beans
2x12 oz cans beef stock
1/2 lb strip steak cut fajita style, or ground turkey
Roma or hothouse tomatoes, Romaine Lettuce, and
Red/Green bell peppers sliced fajita style
chopped green onion
1-2 habaneros (If one wants to go the "ass cannon" route. Feel free to leave them out)
1-2 packets fajita mix

Discovered it by accident when I bought fajita spice mix instead of the chili mix.

I cook it for several hours, then make wet style burritos with it. Very healthy.

Duane

Postby Duane » Thu May 30, 2013 6:34 pm

Oh, and Lori, speaking of Dutch processed cocoa, I buy it by the kilo and use it to make hot cocoa!

Return to “General”