THE CHILI MAVENS

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: THE CHILI MAVENS

Postby Moderator » Thu May 30, 2013 8:28 pm

Recipe looks terrific, Duane! And lofat, too! Can hardly wait to try it.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:02 pm

* That recipe does look scrumptious, Duane. That may save ground turkey, in my book, which is often yuck.

* Lori, that Ibarra is too granulate sugar for my taste, so I'm gonna melt a Lindt or Hershey's Dark for cocoa in my disoriented Habanero sauce. Going for a 70% cocoa. Great link regarding heat peppers! Scoville Units, et al.

"More To Come," as they used to post on The Tonight Show !

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:10 pm

concentricsaturdays wrote:* That recipe does look scrumptious, Duane. That may save ground turkey, in my book, which is often yuck.

* Lori, that Ibarra is too granulate sugar for my taste, so I'm gonna melt a Lindt or Hershey's Dark for cocoa in my disoriented Habanero sauce. Going for a 70% cocoa. Great link regarding heat peppers! Scoville Units, et al.

"More To Come," as they used to post on The Tonight Show !

You may wanna consider cocoa powder then. Chocolate bars, even the dark ones have vanillia in them, which in and of it's self is a sweet spice.

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:47 pm

Thanks, Lori. I'll check it out this weekend.

Not saying that I didn't like the Ibarra, though. I found myself devouring a coupla wedges of the first disk much like Juliette Binoche's character in Blue crunching away on her lollipop!.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:47 am

Here's a veggie chili recipe from the Food section of the Wash Post.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/reci ... ble-chili/

Since I had my recent big hospital experience I've come to realize how unhealthy my lifestyle has been. It's not a diet I can recommend (I call it the ass whoopin' diet) but one result of me being laid up a long time was losing a bunch of weight because I was on a very restrictive diet due to my illness. I feel great but I know if I go back to my bad habits (eating anything and everything) I will slowly perhaps but surely gain all the weight back. So I'm finally paying attention to what goes in.

Sooo..I'm exploring the options. Any vegetarians or even vegans out there? I hardly eat any red meat or pork anyway and it wouldn't really be hard to give it up altogether. Seafood would be much more problematic. The flesh of the bird as well. Dairy products would be hard.

My next step is make an appointment with an honest to god nutritionist. I don't want to be on a diet for the rest of my life but I do need to educate myself about what I need and what's in everything. I do look at the labels (do you realize how much frigging salt is in everything?) but I realize there's a lot I don't know.

I think ultimately I'm going to have to take the plunge and start learning to be a cook. I have the typical lifestyle of the urban sophisticate which is just a jumped up way of saying I eat out a lot because it is easier and quicker. Obviously I can police what goes in a lot better if I do it myself. I do have access to fresh veggies and "unadjusted" meat so that's a start.

But for anyone like me and Barber who is thinking about health issues let me tell you losing weight does make a difference! Last year I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and faced the prospect of using a CPAP machine forever (and having to carry the bastard wherever I go) but since losing the weight I am officially clear of symptoms. Sleep better unaided than I have in years. Also I am on high blood pressure medicine (runs in the family alas). But I'm down from three pills to one, count'em, one pill. This thrills my soul and my pocketbook.

No going back. :D
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:10 am

Does your doctor let you even eat chili?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:04 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Does your doctor let you even eat chili?

Let? I can eat anything. What I want to do now is eat the good stuff.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:36 pm

EZ

This is gonna sound a little strange, but before you decide on a new diet, you may want to read Michael Pollan's books In Defense of Food and Food Rules. Both are slim volumes with a ton of useful information on a diet that is better for you and the environment's health.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:19 pm

Why strange? I need all the info I can get. Thanks!

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:34 pm

Strange because when you usually think "diet book" you think of specific diets.Ya know like Atkins or south beach...

These two books are more along the lines of general suggestions for better health.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Yeah that's just the point. I'm not looking for a "diet". I'm looking for what's healthy to eat. And what is necessary to eat to be healthy. I'll check the guy out, thanks!

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:50 pm

I'll check out those two books as well.

* I've finally gotten into kale in the leafy greens department. I'm picking up bags of it frozen, however, for the convenience factor. So now it's spinach, turnip and mustard greens and kale. This year I've returned to grapefruit. Really enjoying cutting up refrigerated white grapefruit. I hear vitamin C is good for vascular circulation.

* Highly recommend Lundberg rices. I've picked them up almost everywhere. I use grapeseed oil as the non-stick agent during the 45 -50+ minutes of steaming.

* Likin' the idea of dutch cocoa paired with the habaneros, Lori -- in the "long-in-the-making" habanero sauce cooking project.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:22 am

Mix it up in salad to hide the flavor, put it in a smoothie. Kale is one prized green. Tastes like shit, but most good things do.

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:19 am

Of course, we can't live on chili alone -- but we can try! Hence making various fusion glops ...

Today I picked up three jars of a brilliant red condiment called Moroccan Harissa from a clearance shelf. This Harissa is a spicy mix of red chili pepper, garlic, olive oil, salt and cumin.

Thinkin' I might have it on thinly buttered rye toast as a picker upper. Anyone have any other neato light snack ideas during summer?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:27 am

Fried kale is pretty good, but kinda defeats the purpose.

Ezra is absolutely right regarding the weight loss making a difference. I cannot even fathom how I let myself get dragged down into the cesspool of bad health, but I did. Still not 100% yet -- the big issue now is willing myself through a plateau and keeping focussed on the goal. These chili recipes -- particularly Duane's and others that can be made low-fat -- are a really good way to change up your eating plan and yet still remain within striking distance of "healthful". The events of the last week sent me down the rebellion path -- eating whatever and drinking martinis -- but the brakes are applied and direction heading in reverse on that.

One thing I have discovered is that by eating a carb-free diet -- difficult at first -- I actively avoid them now (except when rebelling). There's a kind of bloated feeling I get from carbs now that isn't at all pleasant. The occasional pizza still beckons, and I genuinely miss cheese and crackers, but am concentrating instead on the "bleah" feelings I get afterward. Aversion therapy: pretty good avoidance technique.

I'm planning a trip to the market later and will pick up the ingredients for Duane's dish. Looking forward to trying it out.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “General”