THE CHILI MAVENS

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: THE CHILI MAVENS

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:14 am

Moderation in all things, simple.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:53 am

Of course, we can't live on chili alone...

True, ocasionally one must have a big ole bowl of grits. :D

Had an interesting conversation yesterday with one of my people who is of South Indian ethnicity. She was born into the Brahmin caste and all her family are lifelong vegetarians. She offered to bring me some recipes that she said were not labor intensive but were very tasty. Lots of rice dishes and she mentioned lentils and black eyed peas. Curry leaves, spices, etc. I was surprised to find out that it's easier to get all the Indian ingredients here than it is when she travels back to India. Go figure.

Can I ask a question? This thread is showing "mission drift" and since I'm one of the guilty parties I'm wondering if we want to keep this thread strictly chili related? I'll bow to the will of the consensus and if so I will take my food/health comments elsewhere.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:35 am

You should check out Bourdain's show on Quebec. The food those guys were eating blew my mind. Foodie heaven.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:19 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Can I ask a question? This thread is showing "mission drift" and since I'm one of the guilty parties I'm wondering if we want to keep this thread strictly chili related? I'll bow to the will of the consensus and if so I will take my food/health comments elsewhere.

Contributing, as I have done, to that drift I have to agree. Let's restrict to chili and associated topics, and maybe start a more generalized foodie and/or diet thread.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:08 pm

Starting a healthy-foody forum is a great idea.

* Initially I thought it kind of unique to text as if Sam Elliot's cowboy from The Big Lebowski, name drop Marlon Brando, Julliette Binoche, Robert Silverberg & Ray Harryhausen, Rachael Ray & Dr. Oz and just cross reference like crazy to keep it all light and lively like a string of firecrackers, because I know you're all witty and cultured. Yet I can see what you mean, pardners, about the Drift Effect. I sort of egged it on -- and on purpose!

* Steve, I've been appreciating your posts about your diet and weight loss. Ezra, you're right. I do have an unopened Quaker Oats canister that I should engage. I do love grits. Frank, I will say there are a few foods I absolutely to not practice moderation on, as I've ruled them completely out:

1. Doritos
2. blue M&Ms
3. Gatorade of any color
4. domestic pickles (with coloring such as Yellow 5, in addition to Polysorbate 80)
5. Diet Coke

I think there are more, so I'll be mulling that over and keep my eyes peeled and/or the wheels spinning for a new forum regarding healthy eating. It should be excellent!

So ... my next post here will be chili-themed. I'm eager to jump in on the new forum, however it takes shape. Sounds like a good plan to keep THE CHILI MAVENS focused and cookin' ... on chili.

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:21 pm

CHILI-ASSOCIATED TOPICS

Oops, just a quickie: Thanks there, Steve. It does seem like we all know what chili-related themes would be. "Yes, yes" to associated topics.

For instance, my post last night, regarding Moroccan Harissa, actually doesn't fit into a chili-theme. The word "Mediterranean" is right there on the jar's label.

"I think one will find delicious spicy foods all across the world, except for ..." There must be a punch line somewhere.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:32 pm

Duane

We had your chili Sunday and it was terrific. Excellent suggestion and recipe.

We put the leftovers in the fridge and I had it again for lunch today. Even better when it's had a chance to congeal.

Nice.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:03 pm

Thanks! That's true of all great chilis, by the way.

(OT) And, according to linkedin, congrats on your new job!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Duane wrote:Thanks! That's true of all great chilis, by the way.

(OT) And, according to linkedin, congrats on your new job!

Thanks!

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:46 pm

While visiting the LA area a number of years ago, I was told of the wonderfully delicious store-bought XLNT tamales. At a family meal we had some along with a salad that featured quite a bit of fresh cilantro. The tamales weren't particularly memorable, but I've since read that they were noticeably much better in the 1960s and '70s. I've assumed a new company has come in to manufacture them and / or the ingredients have been changed.

Anyone have any info or anecdotes about XLNT tamales?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:04 am

Sadly, I don't. Never been there.

I have a helluva one about Pink's involving SEVERAL Webderlanders, but unless we assume someone ATE some chili dogs it'd be a stretch to post here.

http://mysite.verizon.net/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=560&linkpath=http://mysite.verizon.net/res7n0zi/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/harlandog.jpg.w560h372.jpg&target=tlx_picqlhj

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:23 pm

I'm incorporating pared poblano peppers and ground cumin seed into this weekend's chili. The beans element'll be kidneys and black, and I just might fry up some ground turkey and slide that in towards the end of the mix. Sure, I'll give ground turkey one more chance, as the favors in the chili's main mix will be so robust.

concentricsaturdays

Postby concentricsaturdays » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:15 pm

STRANGE FUSION CHILI

Well pardners, this weekend's chili has become a bit of a misfire. I started off just opening a can of Progresso lentil soup, figuring to doctor it up with cut up yellow squash and diced jalapeños and poblanos. Before I knew it, I got up in my mind to transform this "soup" into a chili, as if the soup was one of those "starter" cans.

I added kidney and black beans (frijoles negros) and sliced up turkey sausage into the boiling pot. The problem, I'm thinkin', was adding in a shot glass or so of leftover Dave's Hurtin' Jalapeño hot sauce from a near-empty bottle that has lemon juice in it as an ingredient. Now here's the rub: I couldn't find my container of cumin seed that I was figuring on grinding in my coffee mill and mixing into the main ingredients. What I did have, however, was a fresh bag of fennel seed. Now, I must say, I really enjoy the flavor burst of fennel seed when it's in Italian sausage. There was a bit of cumin seed, previously milled, still in the coffee grinder from my last cooking effort.

What I decided to do was drop some fennel seed into the grinder and then plopped both the re-milled cumin seed and newly-milled fennel seed into the boiling pot. I let it all simmer for about a half hour, took it off the flame, let it meld a short bit, had a few beers and decided to fire it up again and then sample it.

Something is "off." I believe it's the flavor of fennel -- shot throughout the mix, and heightened by the lemon juice. Not so good -- kinda weird tasting. I think I was getting too experimental and trying to use up leftovers, in this case the hot sauce with lemon juice in it. The unique thing about fennel seed in sausage is the containment of its flavor in sausage bite by bite, not a uniform distribution throughout a gloppy mix. I feel the cumin seed would have been fine alone, as it's a staple in many chilis.

Second thought is that lemon juice in a chili ain't doin' it for me. I like lime juice squeezed over my beef and steak tacos, but that's another story!
The fennel seed is also a product of India, so this weekend's chili, hearty as it is, has become a strange fusion concoction that I've learned a lesson from. 
Grade: C-

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:41 am

Made a nice one last weekend from, of all sources, Emeril - not my go-to for Texas chili, but I was looking for something with a lot of organic heat from peppers, and his - with jalapenos, poblanos, some chipotle and some Santa Fe chilies - before we even get into things like chili powder and other spices - fit the bill. Was a huge hit at the beer tasting pot luck it went to. (It helps that we had a couple of gifted Omaha steaks that became the meat component, plus a little bacon that cooked in.) Great heat that was distributed across the palette and hung around for a while after. AND the leftovers went on to become chili dog fixins later in the week. Win/win.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:38 pm

I may need hot chili this coming week.

Return to “General”