Adventures in Eating

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

FinderDoug

Re: Adventures in Eating

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:47 pm

I don't know that we necessarily put you to shame, Steve - I suspect your international/regional samplings are easily ahead of mine (and that you and Peggy have trade-offs of international locale); but we do tend to hit multiple higher-end places per stop, or make repeat visits to certain cities that allow for a broader sample of one place.

(One of our first NYC lunch dates? 11 Madison Park. She's been spoiling me pretty much since we got together. :) )

Lori - that sounds much like a donut my honey and I had in Costa Mesa - Sidecar Doughnuts. They churned out some yum, and we had to shut ourselves down at 4: the bacon maple glazed (in fact, they have a picture of theirs on their Facebook page from June 15 - link below), a fresh gingerbread cake donut (this was around the holidays, so...), their pistachio, and a 'green eggs and ham' which was a filled-style donut, but instead of a fruit filling, it enclosed an egg, a slice of smoked ham, and a basil pesto - best breakfast sandwich that wasn't a sandwich I ever had.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:11 pm

I did another culinary "just cuz it's cool" thing today: drove fifty miles each way to a town in Wisconsin just to taste the cheese...and be able to say I ate cheese curds in the town, Ellsworth, that put them on the map (so to speak).

(http://www.ellsworthcheesecurds.com)

Plus I added Wisconsin as my 43rd state...

"Say cheese"
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:14 pm

FinderDoug wrote:I don't know that we necessarily put you to shame, Steve - I suspect your international/regional samplings are easily ahead of mine (and that you and Peggy have trade-offs of international locale); but we do tend to hit multiple higher-end places per stop, or make repeat visits to certain cities that allow for a broader sample of one place.

I would say you two are more constantly adventurous and into higher-end culinary adventures. We're more along the lines of finding the local hangouts and eateries -- though we're very happy to play the high-end as well. But find us a fun little bistro in the back streets somewhere and we can sit for hours just absorbing the culture. I know you guys do this as well, so it's a draw.

But you're also much better cooks than either Cris or me.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:18 pm

Though now that I think about it, Paul Hull and I conned you into driving all the way to Austin for steak, so...

:twisted:

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:03 pm

I will say before Peggy I was a very picky eater. The day I was the one to order the Chapulines at Hugo's was the day she discovered the monster she'd created (my baby loves adventure, but for her, grasshoppers were a bridge too far.)

Conned? I went to Austin specifically for the company. We could have eaten truck tacos, I'd have been fine with it. And I got to walk down to Easy Tiger for a pint in there as well, so it was nothing but win.

I know from your cheese run - out the door at 6:30 AM to drive to Austin to stand in line at Franklin's BBQ. Brought home a whole brisket and ate off that for days. That was a good Saturday. :) Should you get down to Houston, well - just let me know in advance. It'll take some time to whittle down the list. Bring extra time and yoga pants.

If we benefit in the cooking department, it's in no small way because I've been self-employed for fifteen months. It's easy for me to prep something that takes two hour of shopping and three hours of cooking and still be eating at a decent hour, and I've definitely had the opportunity to develop some technique.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:58 am

I like the adventure in cooking new things.

Tonight, for example: wolf fish. On the grill.

And, in case of fuck-ups, thaw out the burgers.

AndrewR

Postby AndrewR » Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:04 pm

My new favorite thing; The Steak & Bleu Quesadilla from a local gourmet food truck (Luncha Libre). Carne asada quesadilla with pico de gallo, jack and bleu cheeses. The tortilla chips are freshly made and are amazing.

I've really become a fan of the food truck revolution. So much good food and it's ideal when you're lugging around a kid.

Andrew Rogers

"Anything more than 500 yds from the car just isn't photogenic." - Brett Weston

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:56 pm

Any of you oenophiles out there familiar with South African wines? I was served a nice South African Chardonnay this afternoon. Unfortunately I was raised by teetotalers and came late to the pleasures of the grape. There are...shall we say...gaps in my education.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:00 am

60 percent of all restaurants who were on Kitchen Nightmares have closed down! This is the final season. Even Gordon Ramsey cannot save America.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:04 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Any of you oenophiles out there familiar with South African wines? I was served a nice South African Chardonnay this afternoon. Unfortunately I was raised by teetotalers and came late to the pleasures of the grape. There are...shall we say...gaps in my education.

while know SA has a vibrant wine industry, I admit it's a gap in my experience and knowledge.

Doug?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:05 pm

FrankChurch wrote:60 percent of all restaurants who were on Kitchen Nightmares have closed down! This is the final season. Even Gordon Ramsey cannot save America.

That statistic doesn't surprise me. Restaurants in general are dicey propositions, and no info is given on the whys and whens. Even Ramsay has had a few of his own close down...

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:36 am

I'm the beer half of the marriage; Peggy is MY sommelier. So I'd be useless from anything but the 50,000 foot view, and from 50,000 feet, South Africa is hills and trees. I believe in her previous marriage, there was a South African trip and some wine was shipped home. I know we don't have much (if any at the moment) South African wine in our stash.

An illustrative aside: She braised beef cheeks the other night (local market had them from fresh, local source, and they were simply too good to pass up, never mind that I probably dropped my coronary real-age to a number I've already passed), and was asking my input on what I thought would be hardy enough from out shelves to stand up to them, and she rattled off five or six red options, and I said, "You know I couldn't tell you the flavor profile of any one of those the day after I've had it, right?" I think it was a Spanish red blend, and it was a worthy match for the meal - hearty, a little tight, fruit sweetness up front, lighter on the mid-pallette, peppery finish. My shame is that I'd need to look at the bottle in the recycle bin to tell you what it was. I should start keeping tasting notes.

TO ADD: Checked. It was Spanish - a 2008 Camins del Priorat by Alvaro Palacios (Priorat is the regional origin in Spain); the wine itself is a blend of grapes from the region, consisting of 40% Garnacha, 30% Samso, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 10% Syrah. And I had to Google for everything but the vintage/winery.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:27 pm

You and Barber must be loaded.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:36 pm

FrankChurch wrote:You and Barber must be loaded.

No...just know our priorities...

I had to laugh at a website I saw recently in which a trained sommelier and a self-described beer drinker went head to head critiquing $2 Chuck.

The Sommelier was just barely better than the beer drinker in identifying the varietal, and at least two of the wines tasted were labeled "not bad at all" by both critics.

I've always felt my personal taste was far more important than the cost of the bottle.

(In truth, one of my favorite reds right now is Apothic Red, a blend costing maybe $8.99 at the nearest Ralph's.)

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:02 am

You and Barber must be loaded.
We are. We invented Post-it notes.

Return to “General”