Robert Nason's Culture Café

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: Robert Nason's Culture Café

Postby Moderator » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:10 am

Robert Nason wrote:From this point on, I will refuse to engage in political discussions in my cafe. Everyone else is free to continue them here if they wish. Or they can stroll down the street to Frank Church's News Coroner if they find the offerings there more to their liking. I'm sticking to culture.

Done and done. Political discussions in the correct threads, folks.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:15 am

Frank Church's News Coroner? Where all political discussions go to die. :lol:
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:59 am

Ezra Lb. wrote:Frank Church's News Coroner? Where all political discussions go to die. :lol:

Very good! After all, every news organization has a "morgue."
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:22 pm

Why litter my thread? Nason, will you please respond to the Kunstler video?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:14 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Why litter my thread? Nason, will you please respond to the Kunstler video?

You have control over your thread from an informational standpoint Frank. I've always told you that. Politics is something you are always discussing...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:50 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Why litter my thread? Nason, will you please respond to the Kunstler video?

I have no desire to even look at William Kunstler much less listen to him on a video. This the man who said the was "not entirely upset by the Kennedy assassinations" because he considered John and Robert Kennedy "two of the most dangerous men in the country."

I vividly remember both Kennedy assassinations. I saw my father weep during JFK's funeral. The first candidate I ever supported for president (though I was far too young to vote) was Robert Kennedy. I wore his campaign button right up until the day he was murdered by a Palestinian fanatic. I still have that button. Nothing William Kunstler has/had to say interests me in the slightest.
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:52 pm

William Kunstler was one of our great trial lawyers, but I will let that pass. The video of James Howard Kunstler, a science fiction writer and expert on sprawl.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:31 pm

Sorry -- I got my Kunstlers mixed-up.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:53 pm

You will enjoy the video. Very funny and witty.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:27 pm

Frank, where did you post that Kunstler video? I can't find it.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:59 pm

I just obtained a copy of this Charles Beaumont nonfiction book, published in 1963. It certainly must be the first, or one of the first, of the nostalgia books, a genre which didn't really hit big until the early seventies. (Jules Feiffer's wonderful THE GREAT COMIC BOOK HEROES was another early contender.) Beaumont's collection consists mainly of pieces he wrote for PLAYBOY on a variety of subjects: comics, the pulps, Charlie Chaplin, movie serials, old railroads, and so on. Beaumont, like Rod Serling, his writing colleague from THE TWILIGHT ZONE, possessed an abiding love for the popular culture of his youth, which is to say, the 1930s and 1940s. The Depression and the Second World War gave Americans quite a bit to need distraction from, and Beaumont is one of those who was already nostalgic for those not-so-long-ago distractions when he was still in his early thirties. His premature death at 37 makes his premature nostalgia even more poignant.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:04 pm

I believe this is my favorite MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000:

ImageImage

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:55 pm

robochrist wrote:Image

Is it me, or did anyone else watch these movies remember being worried this guy was bogarting the hot dogs?

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:45 pm

There have been a number of hot dog comments on this creature over the years. A silly movie and a funny MST3K episode.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:11 am

Barber wrote:Is it me, or did anyone else watch these movies remember being worried this guy was bogarting the hot dogs?

I don't know, I'm too busy looking at the girl dancing on the beach.

Return to “General”