Time Intersellar Article

General discussions of interest to readers and fans of Harlan Ellison.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

Re: Time Intersellar Article

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:31 pm

I didn't think Interstellar was stupid. (Independence Day was stupid. Red Planet was stupid.) It was obviously a very personal project for Christopher Nolan and had some interesting ideas. What undercut it for me were the plot holes and lapses in logic. That kind of stuff matters to me more than cool special effects. Nolan wrote his own script. Good directors are not automatically good writers and in this case he should have hired it out.

If we want to talk intelligent SF movies the one I've been evangelizing for all year is Spike Jonze's brilliant, moving Her. The most intelligent non-SF movie I've seen this year was Wes Anderson's The Grand Budapest Hotel. Note that by intelligent I don't mean merely cerebral. I mean well articulated, well crafted. Jonze and Anderson built fine houses that were comfortable to live in. It doesn't matter how beautiful the house you build if it doesn't hold its warmth and leaks when it rains.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

linuxguru1968

Re: Time Intersellar Article

Postby linuxguru1968 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:58 pm

I still think the quote was lifted from Harlan. I am surprised he did not see it. It was on page two of the article in large letters on the top. I don't recall if the text of the article attributed it to anyone. For me the major problem with these type of "saving the human species" themed movies is that: who the fuck thinks humanity is worth saving?

The kind of people who talk like that are generally wealthy highly educated people who really haven't struggled very much - death and dying are abstract things. Like most people, if a global catastrophe comes I don't give a fuck about the species - I am worried about Number One - me. The warm fuzzy notion of humanity escaping to some other planet doesn't comfort me one whit if I am lying in a ditch dying some where watching them slam the door shut and take off.

The time compression thing is another issue. The technological issues involved in interstellar travel are probably greater than just propulsion near the speed of light or wormholes. We will all probably be fossils in somebody's backyard before they are worked out. Doesn't give much comfort to those who are struggling right now....

Return to “General”