Peluquero Redux

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: Peluquero Redux

Postby Moderator » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:56 am

Up against the wall. THe desire is still to release the CD next Tuesday (apparently this is some sort of music tradition), but we're not even shooting the cover until Saturday.

Tonight the final mastering takes place. Cris, Ryan and I have been separately reviewing the first reference tracks and comparing notes. (First Refs are done post-mastering before a Master is actually cut. Mastering is the process of fine-tuning the sound of the recording -- removing any muddiness to the sound, making things crisper. Adjusting volumes so you're not turning the player up and down with every track. That sort of thing.) We're all agreed on three basic changes, and Cris gets final call on all things. She's back at John Vestman Mastering who is, as I've noted, one of the best mastering engineers outside Hollywood/Nashville/NYC proper, and certainly a match for most of them inside those areas (at about half the cost). He owes Cris some money anyway for a few projects she's done for him, so this works out perfectly. He's also just a really nice person -- as are everyone she works with, really.

But to that point.

I won't go into details but we've had some backstage drama that put a damper on the recordings for Cris. This was all worked out nicely last night with a direct phone call between Cris and the unhappy party, but it had been weighing on Cris for a couple of weeks. (A certain naivete and improper expectations with one of the musicians.) All talked out and no hard feelings. The person involved hasn't worked on other peoples' projects before and assumed that they would have a lot more control over their sound and mix on the final CD. It escalated when a solo got cut and replaced. This happens all the time with recordings, but this person didn't have the experience to know that. Again, when it was explained they "got it" and all is well. Cris' band are a terrific and tight lot, so she spent a lot of time agonzing over the hurt feelings -- but the project is the project and she couldn't let it affect what she wanted in the final mix. First (and last) time this has ever happened in her five times at bat.

Stay tuned. This is really, really a special CD. Not just marketing talking, I'm really proud of this one.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:30 pm

I have a friend back in Atlanta who aside from being a first call Jazz guitarist also runs his own studio. I've had the opportunity to watch him produce several times over the years and I am in awe. I don't think the average music consumer realizes the work involved in getting it right.

Good luck to your lady and you too.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:42 pm

I used to have a wonderful double-entendre t-shirt given to me by the owner of the studio:

"How long can it take? It's only a three minute song."

Of course the joke is that a three minute song takes days and weeks to produce, sometimes longer.

Welll...one of the jokes, anyway.

:lol:
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:57 am

I've said before, I think - I dunno, and really, my mind is about as swiss-cheesed as Dr. Sam Beckett's at this point - but from the technical side of things, I think the production on Cris' last album was absolutely sublime. So much of the major label product the last few years has sounded rushed, sloppy, badly mixed (or mixed to favor eventual compression). This Moment To Be Free is rich, warm, balanced - it's a beautiful recording of wonderful work, and the end result is a truly marvelous product all the way around.

And thus, I'm waiting anxiously for the on-sale. I may need some extra stocking stuffers this year.

And an aside on length or process:

Steve - maybe that's a big part of the piracy problem: the internet has made everything so instant that we've got a generation that can't fathom the actual sweat equity that goes into a three minute song, or a 24 page comic, or a 3,000 word short story. There's an idea for an awareness program: a week where downloads take the equivalent time that was invested in creating and perfecting the work to begin with.

Yeah, I know. I have a better chance of catching Santa Claus in four weeks. But it'd open a couple eyes, I'd wager. Kids today don't know - they're born plugged in.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:41 am

Doug - Wow. Two comments.

A) Why, oh why, can't you work for the Washington Post (or the Houston Chronicle)? I'll pass this along to the missus. She's bound to smile, which will make my day.

and

B) Brilliant idea on the downloads. At least the concept. I think you're absolutely right about the lack of knowledge as to what goes into these things. No, there's no way anyone will do it, but it's a great idea.

swp

Postby swp » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:49 am

FinderDoug wrote:There's an idea for an awareness program: a week where downloads take the equivalent time that was invested in creating and perfecting the work to begin with.

We used to have that, it was called 300 baud dial-up access. 8)
swp

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:19 pm

swp wrote:
FinderDoug wrote:There's an idea for an awareness program: a week where downloads take the equivalent time that was invested in creating and perfecting the work to begin with.

We used to have that, it was called 300 baud dial-up access. 8)

That;s funny. I thought the exact same thing -- including the 300 baud dial-up/fax rate.

Damn technologists...

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:20 pm

Steve - I calls 'em like I sees 'em. Or hears 'em. Some days, I seriously consider returning to vinyl and all that analog richness.

As for press - one of those wouldn't have had me (very competitive inside the beltway), and the other had a purge of people last year (to the degree that I believe they have no one regularly covering local sports teams below college level. At all.) Would I only love to do some entertainment writing for hire? Certainly. I think George and Ira nailed that dream with "nice work if you can get it". Not so much in terms of income for paying off school loans and curing my existing debt.

Now, if I could actually get my creative cats herded, I might someday be a blogging force for good and Harry Knowles my way into my own. Or finish a novel. Or a couple more stories. Or that longer-form memoir of my Aunt Elaine. Or that documentary about The Bayou in DC that rattles around my head like Marley's ghost. Right now, I'm just all over the map. Zero creative focus.

I think it's Total Lifestyle Change-lash.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:43 pm

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:41 am

Congratulations. I can't actually find it on Amazon or iTunes yet, nor listen to anything on the home page, but I'm sure it's only a matter of days.

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:54 am

Hold on, the samples may work - I have a sound problem with my computer today. Updated some drivers yesterday.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:30 am

Hey Jan -- They may not be loaded yet. We sent them the proper files, but apparently they haven't put them online.

You can hear samples from the songs at http://www.crisbarbermusic.com. Go to the MP3/Downloads link.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:12 pm

Hey Steve

I didn't think it was possible to make a beautiful woman look more beautiful, but you managed it and then some. When you get to SF, I wanna figure out how to pay you for a portrait that good!

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:45 pm

I've reached the point where if I don't do a quick purchase, I forget, and then a year later I remember, and half the time these days, things are out of print - so I've become very 'strike while the iron is hot'. So I did. And seldom can I say "I'm number one!"

Plus, I like to bake to Christmas music. I'm freakishly seasonal that way.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:33 pm

Back from le Doctor's office. Lots of vicodin and stuff to play with.

Diagnosis: degenerative disc, possibly two. As the doctor put it, "wear and tear".

Pain maintenance, with surgery to be determined as a result of an MRI scheduled for Tuesday.

Ugh.

Return to “Webderlanders”