Peluquero Redux

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

paul

Postby paul » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:44 pm

Damn, good on you brother. I'm glad to see there is still the get-up-and-get-going spark still alive. I meet too many folk who submit to 'comfortable', and forget about 'happier'. That's why Kathy left Apple at 30k a year to pursue school and a 9$/hr job she loves. I mean, get the check, but don't be a monkey to the money. Expand horizons and good luck.
The medium is the message.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:54 am

Thanks Paul -- Again, once I've actually stopped collecting a paycheck from the company I'll explain.

On another note, though, I've added a new page to my website devoted to the NOW (No Opportunity Wasted) philosophy developed by Phil Keoghan, the host of The Amazing Race on tv. (Actually, it's more likely that he was simply the first to jot it down, since much of it is in common "self-help" literature already.)

Given the loss of our friends/family, as well as the dramatic changes in everyone's lifestyles here on the boards (I'm thinking of Peg's pending divorce, Mark's divorce/job hunt, Alex Jay's Uncle's battle with cancer, the death of my own uncle, and so many other issues we've been dealing with for the last year) that I've decided that I need to redevote myself to the "Do It Now" way o' living. I haven't really updated my list or committed myself in over a year, so it's time to restart.

(If this sounds a bit too self-helpy and/or New Agey, rest assured I haven't gone off the zen end of the pool. This is a way of organizing your thoughts and plans and making yourself commit to actually living the way you want to live and accomplishing those things work usually gets in the way of...)

http://www.barbergallery.net -- click on the "Do It Now" link on the navigation bar. I'd appreciate any feedback -- the lists themselves haven't been posted yet, but there's the rest of the page to peruse.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:57 pm

Okay, just to do a bit ' braggin'.

A local camera store, the Long Beach Historical Society, and Swan Photo Labs sponsored a year long project that I participated in.

PROJECT ONE features the work of 52 photographers, ranging from professional through beginner (I was officially classified as a "hobbyist" given it is not my full time avocation).

Each of us got the same camera -- film, black and white, 24 exposures -- for one week. The subject had to be some aspect of the city of Long Beach. My shot was the main entry to Theodore Roosevelt Elementary School, which is a marvelously mid-thirties art deco doorway.

The exhibit opened last weekend at the LBHS's gallery, and the book is close to being sold out.

A preview of the book and its layout -- thought sadly, not including my shot -- can be seen at http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/invited/139791/bf992e8d4391b9c100a8a474e08377c6.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:23 am

My shot was the main entry to Theodore Roosevelt Elementary School

I could do that.

By the way, only inferior, insecure moderators use their forums for bragging.

Whoops, feel much better now. I felt nervous and aggressive all morning.

So what was your first novel about & why was it bad?

That's a baby alligator, Steve.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:03 pm

(Yes, it was a baby alligator. Daddy was off to the right of the picture, munching on one of the trainers who intervened when I tried to pick daddy up.)

The novel, and I call it that because it was a 60,000+ word story, was based on my cousin's (at the time) out of control alcoholism, which was doing an excellent job of damaging his family and pushing away his friends.

(Severity? At one point he left a family gathering to fetch his daughter from his ex -- who left him because of the drinking -- and showed up at his exes door an hour later completely hammered, but still wanting the little girl to get into the car with him for the trip back home. He'd bought a bottle of vodka shortly after leaving his parents' house and drank the entire thing while on the road.)

My novel was a fictionalized story, but clearly very therapeutic and very angry all at the same time. I was told by a couple of publisher friends that is was a good piece that pulled you along, but I felt that the story was essentially non-commercial and that the work it needed to do -- give vent to my anger -- had been done.

(No offers to publish it were ever made.)

And thank you for looking at my NOW page...!

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:46 pm

What animal trainers wouldn't do for a tip.

Alcoholism has been done to death in literature, so you're book really had no chance, I guess.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:14 pm

In case you're all wondering why I'm suddenly back online after posting that Cris and I were headed for Vegas: we're there. I'm using my handy-dandy Verizon EVDO card to log in...

The room at the Wynn is literally fabulous. I was offered a free upgrade by the now-generously-tipped gentleman at the front desk. We are on the 37th floor, overlooking the Strip and the Wynn waterfall. A high def TV is playing classical music as they show fields of flowers. Ahhhh....

(I suddenly feel like Samantha Brown. Well more like Anthony Bourdain to be accurate, but he's not really into luxury travel.)

Dinner tonight at Picasso and tomorrow we go to the George Michael concert at the MGM.

We don't do this sort of freeform indulgence often, but damn it feels great.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:20 pm

Now get off yer frickin' computer and enjoy yerself!

Yes, that's an order!

D.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:26 pm

Douglas Harrison wrote:Now get off yer frickin' computer and enjoy yerself!

Yes, that's an order!

D.

Sir, yes, sir!

("Red Bull and vodka? Hmm? Don't mind if I do....")

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:37 pm

Belay that! Stay here!
You have duties here!

By the way, I have to disappoint you, G.M. doesn't do "Last Christmas" at his concerts.

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:38 pm

But better to be disappointed now than at the concert.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:57 am

While I am very happy that you are having fun, I will voice the question that many of us probably have after reading your posting, Mr. Barber:

GEORGE MICHAEL? Why on earth would you subject yourself to that? I may have to seriously downgrade my respect for you musical tastes, good sir....
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:20 am

markabaddon wrote:GEORGE MICHAEL? Why on earth would you subject yourself to that? I may have to seriously downgrade my respect for you musical tastes, good sir....

Downgrade away, I'm afraid. It was the best large-scale concert I've been to in years (a list which includes Billy Joel, The Police, Blue Man Group, Natalie Cole, Dave Koz/Al Jarreau and Elton John).

Blew our doors off.

Of course, that list of the concerts we've been to is probably damning in and of itself.

(If it helps our reputations, the smaller concerts have included Cris' friend Kate McGarry as well as Kurt Elling, Karrin Allyson and Bobby Caldwell.)

As much as you're dissing his music, Michael is a terrific singer and is -- in concert -- reminscent of the sort of Tony Bennett style of performers.

Could be worse. Could've been a country singer.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:08 pm

"A high def TV is playing classical music as they show fields of flowers. Ahhhh.... "

Read that and started seeing Soylent Green in my mind.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:16 pm

Alan Coil wrote:"A high def TV is playing classical music as they show fields of flowers. Ahhhh.... "

Read that and started seeing Soylent Green in my mind.

Oh, God.

Yeah.

Return to “Webderlanders”