Peluquero Redux

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

Re: Peluquero Redux

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:32 pm

What grand news Barber. I've always wanted to know a photographer who acutally made more than equipment money on their work. I'm glad to hear it!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:38 am

Lori Koonce wrote:What grand news Barber. I've always wanted to know a photographer who acutally made more than equipment money on their work. I'm glad to hear it!

Thanks Lori. It may come to nothing, but it's nice to have been considered.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:18 am

I know you are trying to keep reasonable expectations Barber, but come on somewhere in your heart of hearts you feel like I do I'm sure. I think they would be foolish not to take you on!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:21 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:I know you are trying to keep reasonable expectations Barber, but come on somewhere in your heart of hearts you feel like I do I'm sure. I think they would be foolish not to take you on!

Well, on good days my ego is in complete agreement with you...but then reality hits.

:wink: Thanks!
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:54 am

Jolly good show, Steve. In all senses

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:44 pm

After a bad day at work, I dropped off three photos for the Expo's July exhibit, made a couple of dinner reservations for our upcoming trip, and met with the guy who may end up representing my work.

Still a bad day, but at least it balanced out...

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:54 pm

Sorry to hear about the bad day Steve, you deserve better!

You havent said much about Tango lately, how is the little pupster doing?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:12 am

Hey guys -- still combating irregular Internet access/speeds, but thought I'd post a blog entry I intend to put up at the Thumbnail Traveler blog next Sunday. You'll have to wait 'til then for the pics. (Sorry Jan!)

Anyway...

It's sunrise in the Adriatic Sea, a portion of the Mediterrannean which cuts between the eastern coast of the Italian Penisula and the coast of Croatia. Just after sunrise.

I'm aboard the MSY Wind Surf, the flagship of the small Windstar fleet of sailing ships which cruise exotic ports throughout the world. Today we're slowly making our way down the Dalmatian Coast, headed for the island and town of Korcula. No one seems to know, precisely, how it is pronounced...core-chew'-la, or kor'-coo-la, or, well, you get the picture...but it promises to be a hot, humid and utterly beautiful day.

It's early. The ship's staff are putting cups and plates on the tables, assembling silverware, and generally making things hospitable for the 250 or so passengers who will come seeking their breakfast in an hour. At the moment it's just me, them, and one or two other passengers who have arisen early to sit in the early morning dawn and enjoy the view.

Only our second morning, the ship and her crew have endeared themselves to us in a way no other cruise ship has been able. The crew are not only friendly, but genuinely seem to be enjoying themselves. A smile, a laugh, a friendly good morning without being intrusive. There is a personal touch here that is lacking on the larger ships --no slam against the vast Holland America, Cunard or Royal Caribbean vessels which plow these same seas...you simply cannot get to know 2500 passengers in a week. With Windstar, it's a manageable feat because the guest count is a tenth of that. And it adds so much more to the sense of relaxation to look up at a voice to see that it's Steven or Adam or Riz or One asking the question, and they, in turn, know your name.

An example of this attentiveness occurred just a short time ago. I am sitting on the Star Deck, the uppermost of the ships six passenger levels. The Veranda, the Wind Surf's semi-buffet general seating restaurant, officially opens at 8am -- or roughly an hour from the current time. Despite this, and despite the various tasks of preparing for the meal, Kada, a thin, slightly shy gentleman with a broad smile, has asked the three interloping guests (myself included) if we would like coffee, bringing it quickly and thanking each of us for being here -- even though we MUST be getting in his way in some fashion he never let's us know we're anything but welcome guests. I cannot imagine this would happen on a ship the size of the Voyager of the Seas.

Even though we are perhaps 20% below the full load of the Wind Surf - she can handle 320 passengers - my sense is that the ship would still feel open and airy if she were at capacity. It's possible to walk through some of the larger rooms in the ship encountering only a few people or even none at all. Crowds do not exist on board the Wind Surf. We may gather together for a show or presentation, but at no time is there a sense of herding, of a cattle drive --
a feeling you can sometimes get in the formalized mealtimes of the larger vessels. We eat when we want, in the restaurants we prefer (two require reservations, but this was easily accomplished), and at table with whomever we choose (if anyone else at all). I find the cruise line's conceit of calling the Wind Surf a "yacht" to be more promotional than reality, but there's no question the guests are treated as individuals, not simply as "passengers", and my opinion is in the minority on the issue. Regardless, the experience is genuine, and size definitely an advantage for Windstar's fleet.

The Dalmatian Coast continues to drift gently by in the early morning distance. The sun is just a little bit higher than it was when I started. A cool breeze blows back from the bow of the Wind Surf as a cup of coffee, courtesy my friend Kada, beckons my attention. I'll post more about the creature comforts of this beautiful ship, but for now it's time for me to enjoy them.

More about Korcula, the Dalmatian Coast and our Italian adventures over the next few weeks...

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:46 am

Coming to the end days of our adventure. Sunday I'll begin publishing the blog and "official" photos of the journey. We're packing up to catch the high-speed train from Nice to Paris, where we met up with my parents for a few days on the town.

Stay tuned.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:01 pm

First blog post on the trip

http://thumbnailtraveler.blogspot.com/

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:33 am

Welcome back, Steverino!

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:19 am

Thankyoosir! As much fun as it was, it's good to be home.

Lori Koonce wrote:You havent said much about Tango lately, how is the little pupster doing?

Tango's doing really well these days. He reacted very well to our absence, and seems reassured by the fact we came back. His primary stress these days comes from the cat's reassertion of dominion over the house. Our male cat has decided he's done hiding out in the back, and has started to insist in being let into Tango's section of the house. Tango, in turn, isn't sure how really to react, often getting a bit jealous when the cat jumps up to cuddle. If he gets too close, Frankie ( the cat) warns him off in no uncertain terms.

We were in hysterics on Sunday when Tango was reduced to sitting by our side with the canine version of "um, the cat's loose. Did you guys know the cat is loose? the cat is loose. It's in the living room. Loose. Loose, like in free. And he's in a bad mood. Is he safe, huh, is he safe? Did you know the cat's loose? Is it gonna hurt me? The cat? Loose? Guys...?"

But otherwise a very wag-tail puppy these days.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:15 am

Frankie the cat, gotta love it. Put his picture up. Wanna see my namesake.

Tango, don't be a wuss. Runz.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:39 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:I know you are trying to keep reasonable expectations Barber, but come on somewhere in your heart of hearts you feel like I do I'm sure. I think they would be foolish not to take you on!

Your sentiment got to the right people, Lori. They are going to rep some of my "nostalgia"-themed work and expect it to do pretty well. By nostalgia they mean the shots of Union Station, Griffith Park Observatory, and other "old LA" works. Three confirmed shots and I will be setting up a web page for them to review a number of others. At first we go with private placement of signed/numbered editions, then expand as warranted.

Woohoo!

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:32 am

Mazel Tov, Steve!

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Return to “Webderlanders”