Doug Redux

Introduce yourself here. One post per person. Use replies to those to discuss someone.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Re: Doug Redux

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:03 pm

Dougie, did you ever listen to the new Prince album?

Jan

Postby Jan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:29 am

Poor Doug, weighed down by expectations - tries to be everything for everyone.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:24 am

Frank - To be honest, I thought there was a solid single disc's worth of material scattered among the filler. But this is the same issue I've had with Prince for years. It's a lot like eating Maryland crab - a worthwhile exercise, but the crab really makes you work for it.

Jan - Not even close, but thanks for playing. I'm sure someone has a lovely box of Fiddle Faddle for your efforts.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:13 am

That Maryland crab comment was classic. Good one Dougie.

What songs do you like, dislike? I think there is one classic song: $ Love that oldschool jazz feel there.

Loattttttttttttttttttttth No Candy 4 U. ickkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:35 pm

If I were going to sequence an album strictly from what's provided:

1) Wall of Berlin (love the change in the time signature that kicks it up to straight-on rock, making it a suitable opener)
2) $ (keeps the preceding segue intact and everything is better with Maceo)
3) (There'll Never B) Another Like Me (nice take on his traditional dance cut funk style)
4) 4ever (power ballad time, and I like the uncluttered arrangement on this - straightforward and playful)
5) Boom (strictly on the strength of it being different than the rest and on the guitar, which has been poorly showcased in the last few years - including on the track "Guitar" IMO)
6) U're Gonna C Me (strongest ballad of the bunch and the melody grabs me)
7) Ol' School Company ("fat cats on wall street / They got a bailout / While somebody else got 2 wait
700 billion but my old neighborhood /Ain't nothing changed but the date" - nuff said)
8 ) Chocolate Box (Insipid? Yup. But he's so seldom suggestive anymore, the nostalgia helps sell it)
9) Colonized Mind (Hits me where things like The Truth and Avalanche did; and really, Frankie, this lyric reminds me of your delivery style.)
10) Dreamer (end strong; nice Hendrix/Band of Gypsys vibe here, and the abrupt cut works)

As for my omits - they're either that meandering pseudo soft instrujazzrock style that made the C-Note album a terrific coaster, they're lightweight or familiar ("Love Like Jazz", "Valentina", "Better With Time" - some of the harmonies sound like they go out of whack), or they're half-assed ("Feel Good...", "No More Candy 4 U" and the utterly terible cover of "Crimson and Clover" that becomes a mash-up with "Wild Thing").

Are my choices perfect? Hell no. But they do eliminate a lot of fluff while trying to come up with a cohesive whole. And I'm still fighting with the excessive length of "Ol' Skool Company".

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Wow, interesting. I really liked Crimson and Clover. Most Prince org folks seem to like it as well.

Love Like Jazz is quite good. You may need to listen to it again. Find a fireplace, get your sweety on the bear skin rug, ya know.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:51 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Find a fireplace, get your sweaty on the bear skin rug, ya know.

That's our Frank, getting his sweaty on on a PETA-approved bear skin rug so he can be our music critic. Gotta love the man. Otherwise, someone hand me that can of petrol. :P

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:52 pm

I really liked Crimson and Clover. Most Prince org folks seem to like it as well.

I just believe he's capable of better, as demonstrated in the past - whether it's a studio take on The Stylistics, his "Red House", his "Honky Tonk Women" - I'd have preferred a full-on funk assault cover of "Love Rollercoaster" to "Crimson and Clover". Left me 'eh'.

Love Like Jazz is quite good. You may need to listen to it again.

It's gotten a couple of spins; still not killing for me; but songs come and go from my lists, so you never know.

Find a fireplace, get your sweety on the bear skin rug, ya know.

Sorry, Frank - "Adore" has Prince's slot on that mixed disc.

Otherwise, someone hand me that can of petrol.

Got a match if you need one. Maybe a gross of them. :D

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:09 am

We need to get off petrol. Shame on our virgin Muslim.

Well, Adore is a classic, as is Condition of the Heart or the Beautiful Ones, which makes angels weep. Until Prince leaves that disgusting cult we can only expect what we get.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:00 pm

Dougie, don't know if you know about this, but the Prince podcast is sometimes pretty good. They discuss prince albums, films, news. Kinda fun:

http://freedomtrainonline.com/forum/ind ... pic=1424.0

Some of the podcasts are free, some cost money. The one about Sheila E and the Vault album are free.

The guys that review the albums are great guys. At least give them a shot.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:56 pm

Dougie Fresh, check out the Peach and Black podcast, which is a bunch of Australian Prince fans do some good reviewing:

http://peachandblack.podbean.com/

Scroll down to the Batman album soundtrack, which is pretty dead on, at least to me. They are very funny guys, witty, really know their music, unlike some idiots who are fans basically because Prince is a celebrity, not a musical genius.

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:24 pm

Doug, how did your trip to the Saturn V go today?
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:24 pm

The Saturn V is a magnificent piece of hardware. Of the four full-sized examples left, Johnson Space Center's is special, as the only specimen made up of components intended to fly.

It was impressive when I first saw it in 1992. It was (and is) the centerpiece of the Rocket Park; split into its three stages on its side, just walking around it under the blue summer sky was an evocation of everything Ray Bradbury instilled in me. The Mercury Redstone is cool - mankind on a firecracker; as is the Little Joe II, more of a stage with an Apollo capsule atop that looks like it could be a prop from a SF TV series; but the Saturn V - when you get up close, it's immediately inconceivable that sane men would sit atop that much fuel knowing they're going to ignite it.

Back in the day at Johnson Space Center's Rocket Park, is sat in the open, where the salt air off Galveston Bay and the Gulf of Mexico had its way with it. A few years ago, NASA undertook a complete restoration; the rocket is gorgeous, though the Command Module - a Block 2 flight-ready capsule designated CM-115a (and intended for the never-flown Apollo 20 mission) - remains a dirty brown. As part of a long term preservation strategy, they also built a large rectangular hanger around it. The hanger robs the visitor of some of the joy of circling it from varying distances, drinking it in with the landscape, the other rockets, seeing it all in one long, lingering gaze.

But the enclosure also gives a much greater sense of relative size. It's easy for that much rocket to be swallowed up when you can see beyond it to the distant horizon. Penned it, it seems an even larger beast, somehow stronger than before.

I shot a mosaic down one side of the Saturn V back in 1992 - I pan to scan the pieces in and marry them up at some point; but I did a best-as-I-could new mosaic in digital this time - the wall's a limiter with the fixed lens I had, but we'll see how it comes together (Crater Lake worked well, but that's a different kettle of fish.) Really needs a wide-angle lens with the space confinement - which is just another excuse to go back.

For the curious, two resources of note - the first is a great historical photographic overview of the Saturn V at JCS from arrival into the 1980s; the other, a handy online guide to where our space hardware is currently located.

http://www.accur8.com/To_The_Moon/Apoll ... aturnV.htm
http://americanspacecraft.com/

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:19 pm

For the interested or curious who may not have already heard, the forthcoming issue of Minneapolis' own Tales of the Unanticipated - #30 - includes my story "Tacklesmooches". On sale April 1 (no foolin'), but the magazine is running a special pre-order discount - $12.50 ( a buck fiddy off the cover price) until then, through their website, www.totu-ink.com.

If you click on the link on the main page to the issue, you can even sample the first page of the story online.

AND if you're feeling like a FinderDoug two-fer, issue 27 (with my ode to Poe toasting, "Mister Eddie") is back-issueliscious for $7.75.

As a total aside, I had grasshoppers for lunch. They in no way taste like chicken.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:57 am

Doug, would you know of any stores in the Minneapolis area that would carry that magazine, such as Dreamhaven?
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Return to “Webderlanders”