Pavilion Digest: February 2007

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: February 2007

Postby admin » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:42 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of February 2007.

John Greenawalt

Has Harlan ever been impressed by a speech?

Postby John Greenawalt » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:42 am

Name: John Greenawalt
Source: unca20070202.htm
Read the famous "It is you not I" speech in "Winterset," by Maxwell Anderson.

inabif

In the buff with an Olympia SG3

Postby inabif » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:57 am

Name: Inabif
The Neatorama site provides a list of authors who plied the trade while starkers:

http://www.neatorama.com/2007/01/30/the ... -the-buff/

Shouldnt our esteemed host be added to the list? Is my memory failing or wasnt Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes written au natural?

john zeock

molly ivins

Postby john zeock » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:21 am

Name: john zeock
i mourn the death of molly ivins but something has to be said- if not for her, michael moore, jim hightower and the rest of the "al gore isn't liberal enough for me" crowd, there would be 3,000 men and women in america and untold thousands in irag still alive. i don't blame people who voted for ralph nader because they believed in him, it's the others. as always, i remain, obediently yours.

Carstonio

Postby Carstonio » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:31 am

Name: Carstonio
Brian, Molly Ivins was always one of my favorite commentators. I met her when she addressed the annual convention of the State Teachers Association here. She had the house rocking with her speech, and later I bought two of her books. Whenever I fume about the religious right, I remember this quote by Ivins: "Fundamentalists aren't evil; they're scared."

Barney Dannelke

Postby Barney Dannelke » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:59 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
*** Harlan *** I'd say thank you even if I didn't suspect you had fun rubbing that one in - so, umm, thanks.

*** John *** I'm not going to make the "don't speak ill of the dead" argument because, just as a for instance, I was forwarding a Christopher Hitchens piece about Gerald R. Ford's "legacy" just a couple of weeks ago that was not kind but seemed like a much needed corrective to some hype.

But I do think it's a specious argument to put any part of the blame for the course of recent human history on to Ms. Ivins.

Yesterday Madeline Albright was being interviewed by Wolf Blitzer and Blitzer mentioned "intelligence failures" in reference to our becoming involved in (starting) the war in Iraq. Ms. Albright quite cogently pointed out these were not intelligence failures, but rather, "decision failures", which just about stopped Wolf cold and brought a big smile to my face - and I suspect a few other viewers as well.

Not succeeding from preventing people from doing stupid and possibly evil things - whatever their motives - does not transfer any culpability to the people who tried to prevent them in the first place, even if their methods were not your preferred methods.

- Barney Dannelke

john zeock

response

Postby john zeock » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:09 am

Name: john zeock
barney- you're correct. more tomorrow.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:08 pm

Name: Rob
You know who was one HELLUVA character actor?

Victor Jory.

Just kinda discovered him after knowing his face from a few places since I can remember.

I "found" the man in an incredibly well-written Hitchcock episode, which had a gloss of Shakespearian tragedy, called Death Of A Cop - in which he plays a hard-boiled policeman who loses his son, also a cop trying to follow in his pa's footsteps.

The man played everything from the Shadow in the 1940's serial (which I've never seen) to the Native Chief in Papillon starrin' Steve McQueen.

He was so convincing in Papillon that I once believed he was a real true-to-life native indian.

He has played just about EVERY type of character you could fry up - and in an entirely different way in each performance.

Damn good actor.

Next, I'll bring you up to date on a recent yahoo wherein a 19-year-old chick nearly took my life (that was Monday night). What ELSE is new?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:43 pm

Name: Ezra
I wasn't going to comment about the death of Molly Ivins as much as it has saddened me so but john j zeock, your comment requires a response.

You are so completely wrong. Molly Ivins has been warning people who would listen about Shrub ever since his father's brief reign of ignominy.

If you insist on blaming anyone other than the bastards who got us into this mess, how about not blaming anyone who voted their conscience?

Blame instead all those worthless pieces of shit who couldn't be bothered to get up off their asses and vote at all.

I sure will miss that womanly Texas twang.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:06 pm

Name: Steve Barber
Item I thought would be of interest to the Pavilion readers:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/ne ... -headlines

Clive Cussler is accused of inflating his book sales -- which is why the producers of SAHARA lost $105M of their investment in the movie version.

It appears that the investors' math indicated that Cussler's 100M books sold equates to 100M potential moviegoers. Not sales of SAHARA, sales of ALL his books.

Therefore, if Cussler wrote 25 books (and I don't know how many he's written, but that's a realistic number), it stands to reason that that's 4M copies of each (still a staggering number). Let's assume SAHARA was an average performer, so it sold 4M copies -- of which 25% of his readers might be likely to want to see a film based upon the book. Mathematically, that means 1M people would see the film automatically, at $8 each. $8M at the boxoffice. Which means the producers have to get another 14 million people to see the movie in order to turn a decent profit.

And this guy's a billionaire???

I'd guess that this is what makes Harlan so crazy when it comes to dealing with (most) Hollywood types...

Bob Homeyer

Clive Cussler

Postby Bob Homeyer » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:26 pm

Name: Bob Homeyer
I used to love Clive Cussler's books when I was much, much younger. But he lost me at around the 7th book in his Dirk Pitt series because a) he started repeating himself and b) he resurrected a dead (albeit compelling) character with absolutely no explanation; one who perished in Deep Six and suddenly showed up in Cyclops without even a trace of a rotting smell or a hint of drowsiness.

When his work comes up in the discussions that comprise my conversational life, I recommend Raise the Titanic, Vixen 03 and Night Probe, and that's all. Although the idea he explores in Treasure, that the contents of the Library of Alexandria were spirited away and hidden prior to its destruction, cries out for better exploration by other writers.

I'm not surprised at the allegations in that article. He seems to be so taken with himself, he's slowly merged the characters of "Clive Cussler" and "Dirk Pitt", to the point where he inserts himself into the novels from time to time so he can interact more directly with his characters. John Fowles already did that 30 years ago, and better.

R.Wilder

Postby R.Wilder » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:37 pm

Name: R.Wilder
"Clive Cussler is accused of inflating his book sales -- which is why the producers of SAHARA lost $105M of their investment in the movie version.

It appears that the investors' math indicated that Cussler's 100M books sold equates to 100M potential moviegoers. Not sales of SAHARA, sales of ALL his books."

So the fact that SAHARA sucked rotten eggs with stale whiskey breath had nothing to do with its tankeroo?

shagin

Rotten eggs of the Sahara

Postby shagin » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:17 pm

Name: shagin
R. Wilder said -- "So the fact that SAHARA sucked rotten eggs with stale whiskey breath had nothing to do with its tankeroo?"

You beat me to the punch, Sir, and did so with all the taste and grace that wretched movie deserved.

paul

Postby paul » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:41 pm

Name: Paul
Faisal,
I like your movie. I like even more the entertaining and interesting collegic discourses on "the meaning of it all". I, of course, don't need any such rosetta stone. i know precisely what it's about:
It's your frustration with those damn typing tests corporations have to give everyone applying for an 'entry-level position'. I know, i know, i feel you, sir.
Ha, i don't know if you've ever really had to go through any of those processes, but that's what your movie felt like for me. And getting dumped by the faceless Ivory Tower masters when you're done. Nice feel though, as always. Well done.
Tongue firmly in cheek, but not about the compliments,
paul

Chuck Messer

ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:41 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Seven weeks.

Seven snowstorms.

It's below zero outside.

The snow from seven weeks ago hasn't melted off yet.

Deer are moving into residential areas foraging for food.

Seven weeks.

Mother Nature is a bitch.

Chuck

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”