Pavilion Digest: July 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

William Sherman

Happy Independence Day!

Postby William Sherman » Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:31 am

Name: William Sherman
Source: unca20090706.htm
Mr. Ellison et al.:

Happy Independence Day!

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

Alan

BEGGING YOUR PARDON, D.T.S.

Postby Alan » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:46 am

Name: alan
The notion of an ILLEGAL WAR is riding the waves of craziness.If you remember Politico's of both Party's were getting publicly pissed Prez.Bush was taking so long to react after 9-11.It was debated in the HOUSE and voted upon and the Prez. was given full authority until DEMS. realized those that think THEIR way of the World is the only correct way of the World were going to challenge their Party standing with mass misinformation and Air America with constant threats to change Candidates. The REPS.
were pissed Prez.Bush didn't go full Nuclear.And you might ask what the incentive for DEMS. to Vote a THIRD time allowing Military might?I don't remember the lady DEM.Senator whos Husband
was selected to supply the Cargo vessels to supply said War but He spread enough Green Backs around Congress to assure passage.
Sec.State Powell was fucked,Prez.Clinton had fucked up the DIA so bad with misconduct the Agencies were under staffed and didn't give a shit anymore.Now enters England for intel help,what they supplied was certified and even classified by former Prez.Clinton's NSC staff as believable.Now enters my earlier IDIOT comment on Prez.Bush.We expect better.That is a legal cover letter to your charge,if on Afghanistan you were meaning ILLEGAL WAR?

Barney Dannelke

07/04/09

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:09 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
John Adams - God Save the American States

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?s ... AIT&ref=mf

Brian Phillips

Harlan Ellison may Chase-ten me for this, but...

Postby Brian Phillips » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:19 am

Name: Brian Phillips
...I believe it's usually spelled "Charley", not "Charlie", when referring to Mr. Chase.

I saw a short tribute to him over thirty years ago, and one of the guests said that he had learned a lot from watching Chase. I have always enjoyed black and white and silent films (though I have not traveled in such rarefied circles as Rob. Is "Don't-be-likin'" a species of fungus?), but I might have been unwittingly forced to do so.

My father saw no point in getting a color TV, reasoning that they were unreliable, and cable TV was darned near unpatriotic in his eyes, so everything was in black and white and most our TV's had handles. Since everything I watched was in B&W (which, oddly, does not stand for "Bountry and Western"), what was older and newer was not as clearly defined. The silent films merely tan at the wrong speed, due to an inabilty to compensate for older technology, a difference which thankfully seems to have vanished. "The Crowd" would have lost some of it's dramatic impact if people were moving unnaturally fast on screen.

TCM (Trequency Camplitude Modulation, I think) does a fine job showing silent films. I don't know how much Chase, Larry Semon or Harry Langdon gets shown, though. Thanks to everyone that brought back a memory of Charley Chase simulating a fight by attaching a shoe and shoe tree to a nail and swinging it back and forth. It really looked as if he was being kicked in the head.

One of the better uses of silent footage in recent times was in the American version of "Men Behaving Badly". Not only was the show pretty funny, the title sequence featured a collage of mostly silent film footage of men being slapped and the episodes featured silent footage with a voice-over to set up the next act of the show.

Brian Phillips

john zeock

replies

Postby john zeock » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:19 am

Name: john zeock
Thanks to Bob Ingersoll- my suspicion would be that the Kneales either don't know or just want to leave well enough alone. For anyone who loved Nigel his widow, Judith Kerr, is a fine writer as well as his son, Matthew. To DTS- I think you make a great point that all the faults people found in the last Heinlein works were there in the great Heinlein, just not so much. I wonder if his health crises all had something to contribute to that, shutting off some interior editor. I've always found a link to Heinlein and Hemingway and Hemingway's decline started when he longer was searching for that "one true sentence." The Hemingway of 1952 couldn't have written HILLS LIKE WHITE ELEPHANTS if you held a gun to his head. ( not a great choice of phrase, I admit...) Happy 4th to all, JZ.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:40 am

Name: Steve Barber

ALAN - I believe the illegality referenced by Dorman refers more towards the Bush Administration's apparent lying to Congress and the American people. Evidence is compelling that they deliberately slanted and at times withheld crucial information -- an illegal act. Which would mean that, if true, the invasion of Iraq (not Afghanistan) was an illegal war.

ACCIDENTAL JERKS - Last night Cris and I went to this wonderful new place in Rancho Palos Verdes too support her keyboard player's new regular gig. The place is called Think Prime, and it's an excellent steakhouse/piano lounge.

Our friend was at the piano, and her partner sat with a group of us in the center of the room. (The keyboardist and her partner are good friends of ours. They're our Disneyland Annual Passport buddies, in fact. Bought 'em together, and always go as a foursome.)

Roughly halfway through an elderly couple -- meaning perhaps in their 80s -- came in. They seemed to be on a date, and the man was clearly trying to impress the woman. Unfortunately, he spoke quite loudly, whether this was from a hearing problem or from a simple desire to be heard over the music I do not know. But it was easy to hear his comments.

His comments were rather unkind at times, ostensibly as humor I guess. The keyboardist is an attractive woman, with short bleached hair. Not Susan Powder short, but an inch or so long. At one point the man announced -- loud enough for everyone at our table to hear -- "Yeah, I figured it was a woman. Short hair, though". I could tell that her partner heard the statement. Her expression fliched for a second, but she let it go.

Then, a few minutes later: "She plays okay, but can't sing at all..." (Our friend, in fact, is a brilliant player with a veery soulful Ricky Lee Jones vocal style.) And again, I saw her partner flinch.

The last straw for me was: "They ought to get someone like Lauren" ...no connection to that name for me, and I know most of the regional jazz vocalists... "in here. She's much better."

I very quietly got up, wallked over to the man and hissed, just loud enough for his date to hear: "Sir? PLEASE, everyone in the place can hear you...and frankly you're upsetting everyone who came to HEAR her play. You need to keep it down."

Of course, *I* was now the jerk in his eyes, but it needed to be said. Five minutes later, after an uncomfortable silence at their table, they left.

Why am I posting this? Because criticizing artists is a major topic on this board, and it needs to be pointed out that sometimes that criticism crosses the line into distraction. Not for the artist, but for those around them. A valid critique is always welcome. But just sitting and bitching, without any real substance to that criticism, seems to be aimed to get some attention for yourself -- and is just plain rude.

And the second reason? If it had been Harlan asking the man to be quiet, I have no doubt it would now be on the blogs as a full-fledged assault by an enraged psychopath.

Just sayin'.

I have never made a secret of the fact I am a patriot. In a good way, not in a knuckle-under, tow-the-party-line, Patriot Act sort of way. I have the flag flying on our front patio.

Happy Fourth of July.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:42 am

Name: Steve Barber

"too support"????

Also, and as if. You betcha. Golly gee, don'tcha know...

*ahem*

"to"

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:16 am

Name: Alan Coil
Steve B. --

Susan Powter, not Powder, unless you were being an enraged psychopath.

alan in Largo --

Not to be a wiseass, but it's hard to read your posts when the space after punctuation marks is missing. Perhaps you need a new keyboard? Also ("also" is a reference to Sarah the Quitter, who loved to say also), I think we all enjoy vigorous discussions with differing opinions. Just take care that anger doesn't get in the way. Cool?

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:43 am

Name: Cindy
Josh,
What you wrote, " Trig is Palin's retarded kid." Ouch.
While I believe that Sara Palin needs to be swept from the
stage of politics and relegated or relocated to some moose hole in the Alaskan tundra-- the word "retarded" in that context is hurtful.

If those (here I use the word less controversially) " retards" who chose her to run for V.P. THINK she is fit to run for anything but milk and eggs, then we (the GOP/ America) will lose another round come 2012...either way.

She annoys the fuck out of me-- I don't know if it's her accent (which is funny coming from me--with my Texas speak) or if it's her rhetoric alone, but someone should take a giant vaudevillian hook and pull her into the abyss.

There is one area, however, in which she dazzles. All her faults aside-- the woman walked the walk with regard to that baby. For everyone who
gives lip service to the idea of right to life-- she stepped up to the plate when she had Trig. I have six kids of my own and I can tell you--raising babies is sometimes tough. Lack of sleep, worry-- fear that something will go wrong, they're standard issue. But to know you're going to have a baby with issues that could certainly preclude his or her becoming a self sufficient adult, means to throw your shoulder into a yoke that will never be lifted. She did that. I am in awe of her heart and courage.

Her political persona-- not so much.

One thing about Downs Syndrome babies, while they have one chromosome too many they come up short in one area-- the ability to hate. Human beings with Downs Syndrome completely lack whatever it is in us-- that allows us to hate. In that respect, I think Ms. Palin got it right about Trig.

That's all I wanted to say. Carry on, sir.
:)
Cindy

BrianSiano

The wonders of the ailent era

Postby BrianSiano » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:58 am

Name: Brian Siano
I probably posted something like this a while back. But one reason I really love silent films is that so many were made while trying to figure out this new art form. So, the pacing's different than what we expect today. The visuals are far more expressive. Acting's both exaggerated and sublimely subtle. They're more like dreams than nearly anything made today.

And I have had a hard time convincing people, even some friends, to watch a few with me. Like, nearly impossible. I managed to introduce a friend to _The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari_ 'cause the screening had live music. She was into all things gothy and Halloween-y, so that made it easier; otherwise, the closest I got was a showing of Dreyer's _Vampyr_ on TCM, and Herzog's remake of _Nosferatu_, neither of which are silent.

Comedies are harder. I dunno, maybe people think that they don't _need_ to see the silent comedies because, well, they've sort of heard of then and seen bits and pieces and maybe they don't think they need to.

(By the way, one of Harold Lloyd's sound pictures, _The Cat's-Paw_, was written by Clarence Budington Kelland-- a name I recognized thanks to our host. And I liked it.)

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

STEVE PERRY: YOUR JOKE

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:59 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Faster payoff on the gag:

Woman with pig.

Guy: "Where'd'ja get that ugly pig?"

Pig: "She came with the leash."

Ba-BOOM!

-he

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

REPLY TO DAVID BRUCE , CLEVELAND

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:15 am

SIR: Sadly, Mr. Ellison died 11 years ago. The "Harlan Ellison" whose life and work were honored at a citywide celebration in CLEVELAND (let us say it again, so those who are asleep from the neck up will get it...CLEVELAND) about a year ago, was--in fact--a hired doppelganger. Same goes for the motion picture documentary about the late Mr. Ellison, save in that case, he was played by Brad Pitt.

Respectfully,

Administrator of the Ellison Estate and Family Trust

David Savage

Postby David Savage » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:18 am

Name: David Savage
UK comedian and Have I Got News for You panellist, Paul Merton regularly tours here with a 'Silent Clowns' show, showing silent comedies on a big screen with live accompaniment on improvisational piano by Neil Brand. Most recently the main feature has been Buster Keaton's Seven Chances. The audiences - of all ages, including young kids - reportedly always laugh loud and often.

Merton thinks that most people have an aversion to watching silent comedies simply because they haven't experienced the films as they're meant to be seen. They've only ever watched awful prints (often with crucial visual information obscured), with an inappropriate honky-tonk piano score, on small TV screens, often reducing the films "to a bewildering succession of vaguely comprehensible actions involving big men in large fake beards being kicked up the arse in a monotonous fashion." (From a BFI website interview.)

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

ERIC IN BUCKHANNON

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:22 am

Welcome, sir. Any teacher, of any sort, whomever&wherever is welcome here. I'm growing weary of repeating it (however much less than ere we reached this point), but Teaching is a Holy Chore. Hang around.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

ERIC IN BUCKHANNON

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:22 am

Welcome, sir. Any teacher, of any sort, whomever&wherever is welcome here. I'm growing weary of repeating it (however much less than ere we reached this point), but Teaching is a Holy Chore. Hang around.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”