Pavilion Digest: July 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

K. M. Kirby

Palin's Loose and Hot to Trot

Postby K. M. Kirby » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:04 pm

Name: K. M. Kirby
Source: unca20090706.htm
Gov'nor Sanford, I believe the ball is now in your court.

W. Powell

Postby W. Powell » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:51 pm

Name: W. Powell
I'm still holding out for the revelation that Sarah Palin and Mark Sanford are actually badly disguised space aliens attempting to sow discord and confusion among the people of earth as a prelude to full scale colonization.

The obvious incompetence and hypocrisy they regularly display in public is a key part of the faade, of course.

Phil Nichols

That '77 F&SF Freas cover...

Postby Phil Nichols » Sun Jul 05, 2009 1:14 am

Name: Phil Nichols
...can be viewed here:

http://www.sfcovers.net/Magazines/FSF/FSF_0314.jpg

john zeock

Lest We Forget

Postby john zeock » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:49 am

Name: john zeock
Anna Karen Morrow,94. Molly Sugden,86.

steveperry

Thanks Phil

Postby steveperry » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:10 am

Name: Stephen
but which one is Harlan?

nyuk nyuk nyuk

James argendeli

Postby James argendeli » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:34 am

Name: James argendeli
No need for any shame-face or otherwise. I fully expected to pay for any book. Thank you and Susan for finding a copy of a book club edition. Will get the check out to you this week. Hope you are both doing wonderful and we miss you both.

Alejandro Riera

A little advance piece on Torchwood

Postby Alejandro Riera » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:38 am

Name: Alejandro Riera
Including some brief quotes from Russell T. and the confirmation that the final three DW specials will air in the US close to the UK dates:

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com ... vies-.html

Barney Dannelke

Newest (last?) Westlake

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:30 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
Since Harlan and many others on this board are huge Westlake fans I'm placing this here rather than the back room. I loved the Dortmunders the mostest although it's always a tough call. What a WONDERFUL premise to go out on for the gang.

(Dustjackety type spoilers if you hit the link.)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/044617 ... 850_snp_dp

Another recommendation from this series would be DROWNED HOPES. Or just read them in order. But DROWNED HOPES was fine.

Harlan,

I just picked up a copy of The Saint Mystery Library paperback anthology featuring LET HER KILL HERSELF by Rufus King and including (with flyleaf and back cover jacket copy while Jakes and Merril get bupkiss) your original story FIND ONE CUCKABOO by Harlan Ellison.

#128 (11) Let Her Kill Herself Feb, 1960
Cover artwork by Frank Kalin
Introduction by Leslie Charteris

Let Her Kill Herself by Rufus King
Find One Cuckaboo* by Harlan Ellison
This Above All by Leighla Whipper
Ten Lost Bombs by John Jakes
Dry Dust Judith Merril

Everything I know about this series of anthologies may be found here with a few details about your story in the 5th paragraph down;

http://www.saint.org/stlib.htm

I have no question about the story or the anthology series but I saw this on the copyright page - "By permission of the author and the author's agents, the Ann Elmo literary agency." I see this was a real agency and, just like me, was started in 1959 and is still a going concern as of 2009."

I suppose the question is, does this overlap Mills or anyone else? Were they doing mystery and another agent handling the SF for you? I just thought I would ask before putting this one up on the shelf and forgetting the question forever. I acknowledge it's not much of a question.

Hope everyone had a good 4th of July.

- Barney

Dennis Thompson

Teaching

Postby Dennis Thompson » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:20 am

Name: Dennis Thompson
I never new my wife was holy, a saint for putting up with me perhaps.
She teaches fourth grade in a very poor neighborhood. ( They serve free breakfast and lunch to most of the kids ) Last year she was awarded teacher of the year. She is appalled by how little the kids know about the world, and the English language. Every day she tries to teach them something they can use when they get out in the world. I am very proud of her.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:50 am

Name: Frank Church
Sea-kittens, sea-kittens? hehe. haha.

Hey PETA, I ate some fried chicken last night. No free range for this boy. Sea Kittens. hahaha.

Speaking of sea-kittens, Sarah Palin quitting like the formless loser that she is was one grand gift to our side. Sure she takes good care of her baby, but isn't that her job?

I bet she sticks out her leg, pimping rides so that the hapless Republican party can make bank and beat the juggernaut that is Mr. Obama. Her whole career is toast. I feel so good. Internal fireworks.

--------------------

Cindy, you hit that bird with one shot. Good on you sweetie.

I know someone with a Down Syndrome child. They are the sweetest people on the planet. I would never act churlish with anybody like that, even if they spilled hot coffee on my crotch. Their gift to the world has some meaning. Irony is one obvious sobriat.

---------------

Alan, one more and you get the Forest Gump award.

Eyes Wide Open--view this:

A cartoon cat tells us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Khut8xbXK8

Alan

Forrest Gump Award;Does that come with Pia Zadora luncheon?

Postby Alan » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:15 am

Name: alan
It's suddenly dawned on me,what with only 10% of Stimulus Package having been spent;we are witnessing what the Clinton's could only talk about,the total destruction of Military Industrial Complex.By simply talking and no acting to correct the Economy we fool Europe into thinking we are doing something to help their Econs. but in fact the grand scheme seems to be hatching slowly but steadfast in blending the lowest earners in US with Middle Class by retooling Economy to Service Industry Jobs paying only Minimum Wage.It might work unless Dems. loose the House and Senate in two yrs. Unfortunately we will have lost the Job Base our Parents once knew.I hope having the first Black President was worth it.
Seacrest out.

Ed De Rueda

Fight on and get your money from Paramount

Postby Ed De Rueda » Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:48 pm

Name: Ed De Rueda
If the WGA threatened to take Paramount to court over non-payment on the misappropriation or misusage of intellectual property or more specifically certain catch phrases that are identifiable with a known "property" (ie, Star Trek), then the case would have to be "heard" by a judge and entered into the records. No business or government entity wants to have that happen, then the "books" would have to be opened. But the "Guild" would have to be aggressive in their one and only duty to their members - legal representation in union matters. And it should be to the complete satisfaction of the union member, not the union in their "claims" of representation according to their interpretation of the by-laws. Complete satisfaction is the taking the Producers to court, otherwise it might appear to be fraud in taking money - "dues" - just to go through the "motions" Keep the flags of dissension waving, Mr. C. Bird

Gwyneth M905

The Best Kids' Books?

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:44 pm

Name: Gwyneth M905
Straight out of the gate: STEVE YOU ROCK!!! Damn, you put that @$$hole in his place. How he got his head out afterward probably required a chiropractor. Kudos to you for standing up to him.

Cindy & Harlan, re: Sarah Palin and Trig. What you both said. She's an abhorrent (an Ab-Whore-Ant) mother. I remember most vividly when Bristol's pregnancy became media fodder that Obama's comment was to "keep the kids out of this." Too bad she didn't take his advice.

I'm posting in response to Nicholas Kristof's column/blog in the NYT titled "The Best Kids' Books Ever."

One of the comments posted was that the list was slanted heavily in favor of white middle class kids, stating that kids couldn't relate to books that weren't "about their world."

I was able to relate to Invisible Man and Sounder and the Boxcar Children as a child.

So I have a two parter:
1) Do kids need books about their race/socio-economic niche to be coaxed into reading? (Harry Potter would seem to indicate otherwise.)
2) What ARE some really good juvie books that fall outside of the "white middle-class" bracket?

Oh yeah, and has anyone here read Big Tiger & Christian by Fritz Muhlenweg? If so, would you recommend it?

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:51 pm

Name: Cindy
Harlan,
I didn't mean to insult Josh in any way with my post either-- my intent was only to convey what I thought. I almost kept still-- but found it made me
feel cowardly. Not unlike the time I thought about leaving my cross necklace at home rather than wear it in your presence. This is in no way a hint or reminder for you to write your recollection of that story..no indeed! It is merely a comparison that nags to be drawn.

I know, without doubt that Josh is a singularly kick ass fellow-- for many reasons, not the least of which because you and Susan have great warmth and deep affection for him.

Thanks for what you wrote, my friend.

Yer pal,
:)
Cindy

Josh,
I'm sorry if I caused you even a moment of annoyance or displeasure. I didn't mean to be unkind...especially to
you.

Cindy

Brian Phillips

Doot-doot...doot-doot...Pyew! Pyew! and a note to Gwyneth

Postby Brian Phillips » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:45 pm

Name: Brian Phillips
Proving that the geek are trying to inherit the earth, the video game "Asteroids" is being made into a movie:

http://www.imdb.com/news/ns0000002/#ni0864278

For those of you that are only agog at the prospect of an old video game being made into a movie, this is a reallllly primitive game. It has no story line, it was in black and white.

You controlled a spaceship.
You fired at asteroids coming at you.
You shot at the occasional flying saucer.

It's not even "High Noon" in space!

Pong. Now THAT would be a movie.

To Gwyneth: As a boy of color, I was blessed with family that exposed me to literature from all over. Also, may the Lord bless Mrs. Tobia, since we are praising teachers.

My father came home with some Black History Flashcards. We went through them together and they were my first exposure to people like Sojourner Truth, Benjamin Banneker and George Washington Carver. Dad was shocked that he mentioned Carver to a co-worker (my father was a chemist for the U.S. Customs in New York) and the fellow didn't know who he was. So, he made sure I did and one of the first things he did was buy those flash cards.

Armed with an anecdote and the fire of race pride that a third-grader can muster, I walked into Elmwood Elementary School with a determination to get some Black History in our studies. It is a blessing not to know that students of a tender age don't dictate curriculum, because my teacher, Mrs. Tobia, a Caucasian woman who could have easily patted me on my head and smiled, secured a catalog of films and asked ME which ones should we order for the class to see. I requested "Black and White in Color", which we weren't able to get, but we did get "Black History: Lost, Stolen or Strayed", narrated by Bill Cosby. This was a book as well. My esteemed brother Stephen was very much interested in this book, by Otto Lindemeyer. I read what I could understand of it, because I greatly respected Steve (still do!).

What that woman did for me and for us as a class is now able to be read by the world and thankyou thankyou thankyou!

So, Gwyneth, do wake up, because I am now going to answer your question: I cannot speak for other children but I know I kvelled when I saw little boys and girls of color in books. And I still dug Donald J. Sobol's "Encylopedia Brown" and Charles Schulz's "Peanuts" even though they were populated by (mostly) White characters. So, I feel that I got a balance. I also read "Madeleine" by Ludwig Bemelmans. Not that there's anything wrong with zat.

I recommend, "Black Folktales" by Julius Lester (the Stagger Lee legend may be a bit racy for the younger set) with the beautiful illustrations of Tom Feelings.

I also recommend "Aesop's Fables". Do mention to a child that some of Aesop's fables are derived from fables told by an Ethiopian named "Lokman".

I think that it's best that a child sees options. Yes, there is "Charlotte's Web", but also, there is "The Drinking Gourd" by F.N. Monjo (not a classic, but a nice book). For me, my mother and my father read to me and had a lot of books around the house. I can still hear my father's voice saying, "Goodbye feet!" as Alice's neck stretches.

No, I cannot recite everything that happens in "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland", but I do know that my father read all of it to me over a period of weeks and if Dad liked to read, then it HAD to be cool.

And I still have that huge "Complete Works of Lewis Carroll" book that he gave me.

And it's very dear to me.

Goodbye Heboard (until I have something of worth to say)!
Brian Phillips

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”