Pavilion Digest: July 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

MichaelRapoport

Gwyneth

Postby MichaelRapoport » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:32 pm

Name: Michael Rapoport
Source: unca20090706.htm
I am the father of two young biracial sons (I'm white, my wife is black). One boy is a third-grader, the other is a pre-schooler in the process of learning to read.

My older son loves the "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" books, the "Spiderwick Chronicles" series, the "Magic Tree House" series and any book he can find related to Star Wars. My younger son adores the Dr. Seuss stories, currently his favorite Daddy-read-me-a-story bedtime reading. Neither boy is especially focused on "black" topics (though Seuss's "The Sneetches" is a pretty good parable for little kids about racial discrimination). On the other hand, they're both fascinated with Barack Obama, who of course is biracial, and my wife and I have lately seized on that opportunity to read them a children's biography of Obama.

Which suggests what I think is the most important thing, as I've said here before: The way to get and keep kids reading is to cater to their individual interests, and push them toward books about things they enjoy. The more interested they are in a topic, the more likely they are to read about that topic, and thus to have reading become a habit, and to keep reading about any and all subjects. If that entails, say, giving a biography of Frederick Douglass or Harriet Tubman to a black child interested in black history to encourage him to read, so be it.

The key thing is the child's own interests, whatever they are. Trying to get a kid to read about something in which he's not interested is not unlike trying to get him to eat lima beans - it doesn't matter how nutritious they are if the kid won't eat 'em.

I agree with Brian Phillips that options are important. If kids are exposed to a variety of reading material, and if you do all the other common-sense things a parent should (read to them, have books around the house, make sure they see you reading as a normal part of your day, etc.), I think they'll find their way toward becoming a reader for life.

shagin

Postby shagin » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:45 pm

Name: shagin
GWYNETH: While I can never remember titles, I would advise you to check out a children's show on PBS, "Between The Lions". This is a wonderful introduction to a number of books, both international folktales and more modern works. The show supports an anti-biased curriculum without being preachy. You can also do a search for the show's website on the web; they may have a list of books that are read on the show.

There are too many things to say on the subject of special needs in general. I've read all of the posts that touch on this subject with an interest ranging from frustration to annoyance to more than my share of chuckles.

I'm anything but PC (hell, I once referred to children with special needs as collectible trading kids: "I'll trade you two of my spastic quadroplegics for one of your spina bifidas." -- much to my co-workers' PC dismay. After the developmental pediatrician remarked that something may not have "gelled" in utero with my youngest son, I hugged my baby and said "Hear that? The doctor says you're half-baked."), but would any of you think of sincerely proclaiming "Jews are greedy" or "Blacks are stupid"?

Individuals with special needs are just that, individuals. They love, hate, grouse, and complain as much in their own way as the next person. Don't shackle them, or yourselves, by lumping them under a behavioral expectation. I've seen first hand their ability to react and interact with a depth of personality that may be slower in developing, even stunted in areas, but is certainly there.

As for whether Palin did what was "right" by not aborting Trig, I really can't say one way or another. I would ask you to check out CHOOSING NAIA by Mitchell Zuckoff, a touch over done at times but a wonderful study of the choices one family must face. Mr. Zuckoff interviews families who chose abortion, those who chose to keep their children, and presents each case with what I felt was an even hand.

There's no offense taken by any of it, and not a shred of PC. Any of youse folks who don't agree, I'll trades ya a recent autism diagnosis for a Williams Syndrome kid.

shagin

William Sherman

Postby William Sherman » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:31 am

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison:

Finally procured my DVD copy of "Dreams" last Wednesday. Friday night, my reading group watched all the features, including the movie: a sitting ovation. Most enjoyed the readings and the "pizza interview" with Neil Gaiman. Your anecdote about your service in the Army--how you typed letters home for your illiterate "comrades" after twenty-mile marches--again floored me the most. Number two: your reading of "Prince Myshkin". Wonderful.

All send belated birthday wishes. From myself, belated congratulations on the sale of your recent story. Will look for it, in some early, "legitimate" form, at WorldCon in Montreal.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

BrianSiano

Heads Up on Frank Baum Thtuff

Postby BrianSiano » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:18 am

Name: Brian Siano
The Smithsonian magazine has a nice piece about L. Frank Baum, creator of Oz, at http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-cult ... tain.html#

john zeock

Fritz

Postby john zeock » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:20 am

Name: john zeock
Jonathan Strahan and Charles Brown are putting together a BEST OF FRITZ LEIBER for Night Shade Books and at http://www.locusmag.com have a list of possible titles. They would like input as to reader's choices from the list and suggestions for any titles they might have missed. They are looking to put Fritz's work back in print and would like to put out about 125,000 words to give you some idea as to length.

Adam-Troy

Various

Postby Adam-Troy » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:05 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Were I in the situation, I would rather get the assignment to adapt ASTEROIDS as a movie than some novels I know: the very nebulousness of the concept would give me an awful lot of elbow room as a storyteller. Think: spaceship story. Think: you need one action set-piece with the vessel defending itself from asteroid debris. Think: you would then need to fill up the rest. And you could fill it up with anything. It could even end up being a good movie. Of course, what will most likely happen is the studio insisting on an asteroid-blasting scene every seven minutes, and any pretense of a story going out the window.

My Dad's improvement is accelerating. Last night on the phone, he was downright articulate. He has some distance still to travel, but time will tell how far and how much. Let us hope the physical therapy goes as well.

An oldie but a goodie that will brighten your day considerably. This TV report on an otherwise routine dog-bites-man story suddenly turns **beyond awesome**, and I do mean, **beyond awesome**, about a minute and a half in when the distraught lady who owns the dog starts to wax eloquent about her pooch's unnerving history. Watch this and you will be quoting her at odd moments for weeks to come. You need to see this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSYgikHR ... r_embedded

Richard Cohen

Postby Richard Cohen » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:28 am

Name: Richard Cohen
About 35 years after getting a copy of "What Makes Sammy Run" I just read it and found it great. You Pavilion folks here who, having savored Harlan's Hollywood-related fiction and non-fiction might presumably find Shulberg's famous book of interest, to you I say: read it, if you haven't already done so, don't let decades go by as I did. (hang head, clear throat, move on)

The spur for me was the DVD release of a rediscovered TV adaptation from 1959. I wanted to read the book before watching that. A mistake, in a sense, since it couldn't match the novel. Once I did see the program I was less than thrilled. All the Jewish stuff out; lion's share of the environmental-determinant stuff out; strong-woman character largely adulterated. Still, it's interesting, has its good points, and maybe it'll improve on a second viewing.

In the DVD interview Shulberg tells how, when he wanted time off from Communist Party duties (e.g. anti-Nazi activities; writer's guild work) in order to write the novel, his party boss John Howard Lawson told him that would be OK only if the party oversaw the writing. Naturally Shulberg balked and that incident, together with growing doubts over mistreatment of writers in Soviet Russia, caused him to leave the party. He wrote "Sammy" and got a positive review in a communist paper, which favor he says was later reversed by directive -- merely, it would seem, from vengeful spite. A Richard Schickel review (http://articles.latimes.com/2006/dec/03 ... -schickel3) of a biography of Lawson criticizes the book for only briefly mentioning an attempt Lawson made to prevent "Sammy" being published. This may be a confused reference (the reviewer's?) to Lawson's party-oversight demand, I don't know. The review is generally unfavorable to the biography and Schickel is none too fond of Lawson, describing the well-known moment of his defying HUAC as "braying his...contempt." Does a right-wing attitude distort the review? I've yet to read the book being critiqued, but that "braying" and a few other things make me wonder. A few years back there was a local review of the PBS film on Kazan and Miller and its Oh-well-the-Blacklist-wasn't-so-Bad attitude pretty much kept that critic from addressing the film itself. For both the attitude and the dereliction I've never been able to read that guy since.

Well, I've strayed.

Briefly then, Ellisonians: read "What makes Sammy Run." I think you'll find it worthwhile.

Richard

steveperry

What? Me PC?

Postby steveperry » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:49 am

Name: Steve Perry
I'm not one of those politically-correct people. When the Stutterers of America came out against Porky Pig, I just shook my head in amazement and pointed at James Earl Jones. But I don't stutter, and am not close to anybody who does.

"Crippled" or "blind" are much more accurate terms than "differently abled."

Still, and all, it depends on whose ox is being gored, doesn't it?

In (relatively) polite society, we have come to frown upon certain terms: Nigger, sand-nigger, kike, wop, spade, gook, taco-bender, raghead, Christ-killer, beaner, hook-nose ... the list is long and ugly and hurtful, and unless you are one of 'em, generally considered declasse usage among the upwardly civil.

We're not talking about fish versus sea-kittens here, but about people.

(I can call myself a redneck-cracker, Oakie, coon-ass, hillbilly, because them's my roots. Steve Barnes can bandy the N-word about, but if I call him "Niggah!" best I be smiling when I do so.)

All of which is to say that of my grandsons, of whom there are five, one is on the autistic spectrum and one is Down's, so I'm pretty much done with using "retard" as a noun. Perhaps now I'm a little more sensitive to the term than people who use the term unthinkingly -- as I used to use it.

The autistic grandson has poor social skills, but reads four grade levels above his, can remember the license plate of a car he noticed passing last week, and can beat you at any computer game he plays. He is differently abled.

The Down's boy signs "grandpa" in ASL when I go see him and is the only one who is unhappy to see me leave when I do.

Sarah Palin's use of her children is, in a word, disgusting, and if she wen nova on the tundra and up in smoke, I'd not shed a tear. But her misuse of her own offspring in no way mitigates the pain other parents feel when somebody points at their son or daughter and, with a snigger, says "Retard."

I am as guilty of shooting my mouth off before engaging my brain as anybody. I'm working on it and it's a never-ending battle. However stand-up a guy Josh is -- and I'll take your word for it -- he could work on that a little, too.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:19 am

Name: Frank Church
Gwynnie, look at this site:

http://www.aacbwi.com/

------------------

Alan, there is no hope.

--------------

Cindy, what about me? lol;

---------------

CNN finally gets it right about single payer:

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/07/06/ ... index.html

--------------

Katha Pollitt was the first to see through the fake bunting of Palinmania:

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/anotherthing/351330

Gwyneth M905

Poontangs and pooches and posterity, Oh My!

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:26 am

Name: Gwyneth M905
AT-C: Thank you! :D That was the weirdest YouTube I've seen since Diversity beat Flawless in BGT. "Doubtless, without a doubt." Jack's moved on to a new home, but all I can say is, if my 95 lb German Shepherd Dog decided to bite me in a similar fashion, well, I'd have an "edwardina" hosting more bling than JLo on a red carpet.

A good candidate for euthanasia, I think.

And great news about your dad! I know you don't know me, so I haven't been piping up, but I've been reading, and I'm glad that there's improvement.

To all who responded to my query about books:

Thank you for turning me on to "Between the Lions." It sounds like a great show and I'm definitely going on their website for some reading material suggestions.

I'd love a set of those flashcards: wow, even the mention of Sojourner Truth and Harriet Tubman brought me back to my days in grade school. I loved their biographies and, without TMI, the story of the iron that Ms. HT took in the face got me through a lot in childhood. Bravery in the face of adversity, the courage to put oneself on the line to save others, speaking up--now those are values that kids need.

We owe a lot, not only George Washington Carver, but also Charles Richard Drew, a pioneer in the field of blood transfusions. I was going to write of the irony of his death, as an account I read in childhood stated that he was refused a transfusion after an accident due to his race. However, some quick web research before writing this stated that allegation was unfounded and that he was treated well by the hospital.

I can only hope that this was true.

Jessi

Postby Jessi » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:02 am

Name: Jessi
Just thought people around here might be interested in listening to or reading about a report on NPR's Talk of the Nation about J.D. Salinger and the issues surrounding what might happen to his works when he dies. They also discuss a lawsuit regarding an unauthorized sequel to Catcher in the Rye. It seemed relevant to a lot of discussions on this board about an author's right to his/her own works and characters.

I hope this link works alright.

http://www.npr.org/templates/sthttp://w ... =106309617

Alejandro Riera

Ebert and the intelligent spectator

Postby Alejandro Riera » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:58 am

Name: Alejandro Riera
Roger responds to those readers who view his review of the new Transformers film:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/07 ... iniac.html

It echoes some of Harlan's very own sentiments about this country's historic anti-intellectualism.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

ON THE DEATH OF AN OLD FRIEND

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:24 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
John Z posted that ANNA KAREN MORROW, the actress wife of the late Jeff Morrow, had died at age 94. Anna Karen was a friend of mine, as was Jeff. I dated their brilliant daughter LISSA MEGAN MORROW for a bright and contentious period, many years ago. Here in LA, when they lived at the Shoreham Drive address. Lissa went on to write a sports-astrology column that was widely published; then we fell out of touch. Her married name is Christian. Her husband is, according to the obits, Darrell Christian.

I am more than modestly hopeful of some one or another of you, tech-savvy or web-savvy, being able to track Lissa from the above clues--I believe there is a Darrell Christian who has recently been named as an exec at some sports-news franchise, which might not be too long a stretch--and without annoying anyone who is NOT Lissa--making a contact for me to call her to express my condolences, and my constant affection for her mom.

This is a solid, and I thank any(every)one in advance for whatever Good Offices, even if it's only getting this message to Lissa. The service was yesterday, I know not where, but I only learned of dear Anna Karen's passing from John Z today.

Thank you. Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

ARGENDELI ------- YO!

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:39 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Check nonsense notwithstanding, Susan cannot post it unless and until you tell me how you (if you) want it defaced.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Alan

On The Loss of Anna Karen Morrow

Postby Alan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:52 pm

Name: alan
Sorry Harlan,I failed in locating your former Gal and the Husband.Good Luck with someone else.
Glad to be of service,sire.
alan

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”