Pavilion Digest: July 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Phil Nichols

Cake on the Edge of Forever...

Postby Phil Nichols » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:37 am

Name: Phil Nichols
Source: unca20091007.htm
The things some trekkies will do when they get hungry. Here is the Guardian of Forever. In. Cake. Form.

http://tinyurl.com/mw94zw

Phil Nichols

Cake on the Edge of Forever...

Postby Phil Nichols » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:37 am

Name: Phil Nichols
Source: unca20091009.htm
The things some trekkies will do when they get hungry. Here is the Guardian of Forever. In. Cake. Form.

http://tinyurl.com/mw94zw

William Sherman

Ask Not.....

Postby William Sherman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:59 am

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

As to the health care debate raging currently here in the Pavilion: Ask not what your country can do for you,...because it wants you dead and out of the way, in order to make room for a cheaper, less intelligent model.

My thought for the day.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

William Sherman

Ask Not.....

Postby William Sherman » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:59 am

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

As to the health care debate raging currently here in the Pavilion: Ask not what your country can do for you,...because it wants you dead and out of the way, in order to make room for a cheaper, less intelligent model.

My thought for the day.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

Samuel John Klein

Health Care; Russian Town Finally Get Tough With ET abductor

Postby Samuel John Klein » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:01 am

Name: Samuel John Klein
Exactly how much despair I feel in the quality of our formerly-great nation can be summed up in the way I feel when someone like Jon Stewart gets some crum-bum like Bill Kristol to accidentally speak what he believes, which is what he's believed all along, which you can I and everyone who comes by a place like this knows: They think that they are better than us, and they think that the best we should hope for is to slave like drones and then die impoverished, to carry them on our backs.

Harlan's fiction actually prepared my brain for times like this. I am properly cynical. Of course, the problem with being s cynic these days is, no matter how hard you try you can't keep up. I'm sure something even more appalling (that everyone will just shrug your shoulders about, because what're ya gonna do?) is just around the corner.

But what I really checked in here for is to share the following. The photo at the end of this link appears to be in a town somewhere in Russia, where a local juristiction has apparently enacted a sanction against UFO abductions from 9PM (21oo) to 6AM (06oo).

I'm glad someone had the stones to take action:

http://www.tema.ru/jj/UFO_sign_at_road.jpg

The site is a Russian website about something, somehow. I donno. I don't speak Russian.

Samuel John Klein

Health Care; Russian Town Finally Get Tough With ET abductor

Postby Samuel John Klein » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:01 am

Name: Samuel John Klein
Exactly how much despair I feel in the quality of our formerly-great nation can be summed up in the way I feel when someone like Jon Stewart gets some crum-bum like Bill Kristol to accidentally speak what he believes, which is what he's believed all along, which you can I and everyone who comes by a place like this knows: They think that they are better than us, and they think that the best we should hope for is to slave like drones and then die impoverished, to carry them on our backs.

Harlan's fiction actually prepared my brain for times like this. I am properly cynical. Of course, the problem with being s cynic these days is, no matter how hard you try you can't keep up. I'm sure something even more appalling (that everyone will just shrug your shoulders about, because what're ya gonna do?) is just around the corner.

But what I really checked in here for is to share the following. The photo at the end of this link appears to be in a town somewhere in Russia, where a local juristiction has apparently enacted a sanction against UFO abductions from 9PM (21oo) to 6AM (06oo).

I'm glad someone had the stones to take action:

http://www.tema.ru/jj/UFO_sign_at_road.jpg

The site is a Russian website about something, somehow. I donno. I don't speak Russian.

Amy Kostyn-Jenkins

Not Harlan-Related, but worthwhile

Postby Amy Kostyn-Jenkins » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:12 am

Name: Amy Kostyn-Jenkins
Support Eddie Izzard in his 1,000-mile run for charity. Donate: http://www.comicrelief.com/donate/eddie

or buy: http://tinyurl.com/mgtnwb

This is helping Comic Relief, which still goes on in the UK, though we've abandoned it in the US. They fund projects worldwide and do lovely things. Go to their website to find out more and/or to donate. Do help.

back to my usual lurking,
Amy

Amy Kostyn-Jenkins

Not Harlan-Related, but worthwhile

Postby Amy Kostyn-Jenkins » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:12 am

Name: Amy Kostyn-Jenkins
Support Eddie Izzard in his 1,000-mile run for charity. Donate: http://www.comicrelief.com/donate/eddie

or buy: http://tinyurl.com/mgtnwb

This is helping Comic Relief, which still goes on in the UK, though we've abandoned it in the US. They fund projects worldwide and do lovely things. Go to their website to find out more and/or to donate. Do help.

back to my usual lurking,
Amy

BrianSiano

Eddie Izzard's run

Postby BrianSiano » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:28 am

Name: Brian Siano
And the best part about Eddie Izzard running a thousand miles?

When he's done, he'll finally be able to fit into that vintage Christian Dior he's had _forever_.

BrianSiano

Eddie Izzard's run

Postby BrianSiano » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:28 am

Name: Brian Siano
And the best part about Eddie Izzard running a thousand miles?

When he's done, he'll finally be able to fit into that vintage Christian Dior he's had _forever_.

Site Admin

Socialized Medicine and the Damned LA Freeways

Postby Moderator » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:18 am

Name: Steve Barber
I grew up under Navy medicine. Not the greatest I can imagine, but certainly far superior to the insurance company games I'm forced to play every few months. (And I work for a very large company with a relatively generous benefits package. I know quite a few people who have little or no coverage because of cost.)

To me it is incomprehensible that Congress and Conservative radio are outright lying to the American public about the benefits. (AARP itself is crying foul about a provision about which the GOP claims Obama wants to euthanize the elderly! I kid you not. Word for word.)

This is a clear case of members of Congress working directly against the interests of the American people. Cynical, cruel and downright dishonest.

Speaking of offensive:

We had a wonderful dinner in Santa Monica with some Webderland-related friends last night. As we were leaving -- and apologies to those of you who don't know Los Angeles topography, the rest of this may make no sense -- we were caught by the shutdown of the ramp from the 10 East to the 405 South (towards Long Beach).

The nearest opportunity to double back came several miles down the freeway, so we decided to just keep going and catch the 110 South in downtown LA. Should've been just slightly longer than our normal drive, but better than doubling back on city streets.

We got to the 110, and were greeted by a large CalTrans sign that said "100 Freeway offramps closed. Use Detour". The detour, at midnight, would have taken us through some rough neighborhoods, so we grumbled a bit and decided to hit the 710 (Long Beach) freeway for the final leg.

No problem with the transition to the 710 S, but a few miles down CalTrans narrowed the lanes to one (causing tremendous congestion), completely bypassing not only the Del Amo offramp, but the entire transition to the 405 -- north AND south.

In short, "you can't get there from here".

I LOVE the LA Freeways. World's largest "free parking" lots.

Site Admin

Socialized Medicine and the Damned LA Freeways

Postby Moderator » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:18 am

I grew up under Navy medicine. Not the greatest I can imagine, but certainly far superior to the insurance company games I'm forced to play every few months. (And I work for a very large company with a relatively generous benefits package. I know quite a few people who have little or no coverage because of cost.)

To me it is incomprehensible that Congress and Conservative radio are outright lying to the American public about the benefits. (AARP itself is crying foul about a provision about which the GOP claims Obama wants to euthanize the elderly! I kid you not. Word for word.)

This is a clear case of members of Congress working directly against the interests of the American people. Cynical, cruel and downright dishonest.

Speaking of offensive:

We had a wonderful dinner in Santa Monica with some Webderland-related friends last night. As we were leaving -- and apologies to those of you who don't know Los Angeles topography, the rest of this may make no sense -- we were caught by the shutdown of the ramp from the 10 East to the 405 South (towards Long Beach).

The nearest opportunity to double back came several miles down the freeway, so we decided to just keep going and catch the 110 South in downtown LA. Should've been just slightly longer than our normal drive, but better than doubling back on city streets.

We got to the 110, and were greeted by a large CalTrans sign that said "100 Freeway offramps closed. Use Detour". The detour, at midnight, would have taken us through some rough neighborhoods, so we grumbled a bit and decided to hit the 710 (Long Beach) freeway for the final leg.

No problem with the transition to the 710 S, but a few miles down CalTrans narrowed the lanes to one (causing tremendous congestion), completely bypassing not only the Del Amo offramp, but the entire transition to the 405 -- north AND south.

In short, "you can't get there from here".

I LOVE the LA Freeways. World's largest "free parking" lots.

Site Admin

Clarification

Postby Moderator » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:34 am

AARP is angrily stating that Conservative radio and some Congresspeople are LYING over that provision -- not over the provision itself, which they support. (As does the AMA)

Site Admin

Clarification

Postby Moderator » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:34 am

AARP is angrily stating that Conservative radio and some Congresspeople are LYING over that provision -- not over the provision itself, which they support. (As does the AMA)

Mary

Photography and other matters

Postby Mary » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:35 am

Name: Mary
Steve: I have every faith that photography is still alive and kicking. I visited your website, by the way...you're a Monet, sir! The way you frame your shots...it's poetry! (Next time Frank picks on you, just let me know... :D )

Reading that story about that woman who loves her point and shoot prompted me to add this...I have another annoying thing that people do to me after looking at my shots, "Those are great pictures...you have a great camera!"

Okay, it takes a person to hold the camera, see if the light is good, check the angles, frame the shot and push the button...the camera doesn't do this on it's own, people! Give a girl some credit here! Grrr!!!

Now I'm off to get my hair done...until tomorrow folks!

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”