Pavilion Digest: July 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:03 am

Name: Rob
Source: unca20091007.htm
Lessee now. Mix Bitter Lemon with 1/2 shot Vodka, 1/2 shot Parfait D'Amour, and 3 shots of Drano.

Pour into the shaker.

Yeah. This should do nicely.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:03 am

Name: Rob
Source: unca20091009.htm
Lessee now. Mix Bitter Lemon with 1/2 shot Vodka, 1/2 shot Parfait D'Amour, and 3 shots of Drano.

Pour into the shaker.

Yeah. This should do nicely.

Sara Slaymaker

Were we truly in Harlan's Dining Room...

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:05 am

Name: Sara Slaymaker
...and this may well be the closest I'LL ever get...were we, I say, sitting around the table, I imagine it would go something like this:

Harlan would, with every right, turn to "Jim Davis" and "Rich" and others of their ilk, and say, quietly, forcefully, and with great dignity, "Leave my house. NOW. And please do not darken my door again."

Then he would turn to the rest of us, gently smack some upside the head, and say "Knock it off."

Anyone want another cup of tea?

Sara Slaymaker

Were we truly in Harlan's Dining Room...

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:05 am

Name: Sara Slaymaker
...and this may well be the closest I'LL ever get...were we, I say, sitting around the table, I imagine it would go something like this:

Harlan would, with every right, turn to "Jim Davis" and "Rich" and others of their ilk, and say, quietly, forcefully, and with great dignity, "Leave my house. NOW. And please do not darken my door again."

Then he would turn to the rest of us, gently smack some upside the head, and say "Knock it off."

Anyone want another cup of tea?

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:15 am

Name: Chuck Messer
Have no fear, Semi-Writer! Things will chill down and the discourse here will return to normal. The shitstorm will end and I see calm sailing on the near horizon.

As long as it's not an event horizon, it'll be okay.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to my old home town of Evergreen, Colorado for a visit. I think I'll take Bear Creek Canyon Road. Beautiful, nice and twisty-turny, an old-fashioned mountain highway. Have a pleasant Sunday, all!

Chuck

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:15 am

Name: Chuck Messer
Have no fear, Semi-Writer! Things will chill down and the discourse here will return to normal. The shitstorm will end and I see calm sailing on the near horizon.

As long as it's not an event horizon, it'll be okay.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to my old home town of Evergreen, Colorado for a visit. I think I'll take Bear Creek Canyon Road. Beautiful, nice and twisty-turny, an old-fashioned mountain highway. Have a pleasant Sunday, all!

Chuck

john zeock

Death At A Funeral

Postby john zeock » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:27 am

Name: john zeock
Has anyone out there seen this ? I had the damnedest reaction to it. I've had movies where I didn't think they were funny or I just couldn't watch them anymore (those are usually with Ben Stiller ) but this was a movie that I watched till the end while all the time being terribly annoyed at everything. It wasn't the subject matter-bad taste has never bothered me. It might have been the pitch that the performances were set at or the fact that almost every character is unlikable from the start and the few likable characters are the most set upon. Can't put my finger on it. Oh, saw the 2005 live Quatermass Experiment. Enjoyable if not necessarily effective. Intersting when David Tennant's character enters and is greeted with ," Good to see you back, Doctor..." So,would love to hear anyone who's seen DAAF.

john zeock

Death At A Funeral

Postby john zeock » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:27 am

Name: john zeock
Has anyone out there seen this ? I had the damnedest reaction to it. I've had movies where I didn't think they were funny or I just couldn't watch them anymore (those are usually with Ben Stiller ) but this was a movie that I watched till the end while all the time being terribly annoyed at everything. It wasn't the subject matter-bad taste has never bothered me. It might have been the pitch that the performances were set at or the fact that almost every character is unlikable from the start and the few likable characters are the most set upon. Can't put my finger on it. Oh, saw the 2005 live Quatermass Experiment. Enjoyable if not necessarily effective. Intersting when David Tennant's character enters and is greeted with ," Good to see you back, Doctor..." So,would love to hear anyone who's seen DAAF.

Le

Postby Le » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:30 am

Name: Le
Wow, I found this terrific computer animation of the "Ticktockman" getting hit running then getting hit by a bunch of jelly beans by the Harlequin over and over again, in one continuous loop It's based on Don Ivan Punchatz's artwork that is found in THE ILLUSTRATED HARLAN ELLISON:

http://tinyurl.com/m3w4w8

I just carefully giftwrapped the signed, limited edition copy of SLIPPAGE, which I am presenting to my best friend. I am going to see him in beautiful Northern California tomorrow, and I can't wait to see his face when it unwraps it.

Le

Postby Le » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:30 am

Wow, I found this terrific computer animation of the "Ticktockman" getting hit running then getting hit by a bunch of jelly beans by the Harlequin over and over again, in one continuous loop It's based on Don Ivan Punchatz's artwork that is found in THE ILLUSTRATED HARLAN ELLISON:

http://tinyurl.com/m3w4w8

I just carefully giftwrapped the signed, limited edition copy of SLIPPAGE, which I am presenting to my best friend. I am going to see him in beautiful Northern California tomorrow, and I can't wait to see his face when it unwraps it.

Le

Correction

Postby Le » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:38 am

That last part should read, "when HE unwraps it." My best friend IS human!

Le

Correction

Postby Le » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:38 am

That last part should read, "when HE unwraps it." My best friend IS human!

shagin

Postby shagin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:45 am

Name: shagin
ZACK: While I'm not of a mind to test out the structural strength of those poor Texas hoodlums, the thought of nibbling on a manatee was intriguing. Are they edible? That's something I've never considered nor read about. Interesting to research.

And while I'm pondering that, Zack ol' buddy, ol' friend, ol' chum, I have another comic for you. Well, for you, Harlan, or anyone else who's interested in a dab of whimsy, a smidge of mad science, a few dark corners, and some kick-ass storytelling.

GUNNERKRIGG COURT by Tom Siddell is well worth the read, folks. It is a web comic that has produce at least one paper collection and Neil Gaiman gave it a nod saying that GK reminded him of early material from BONES. The story is a blend of fantasy, etheric science, humor, drama, and a millieu with a depth and character all its own. There are no "good-guys" or "bad-guys", no cut and dry anything including the main character, Antimony.

The storytelling doesn't slap you in the face so much as it steeps in the back of your imagination until you reach a "aha!" moment and realize that Mr. Siddell doesn't leave hanging threads merely threads he plans to loop to another part of the weave. The art is quirky with only vague hints of manga (and I mean vague). Yes, the archives are substantial but think of the time invested in the archives as time well spent reading a good book. I limited myself to half a chapter a sitting, usually, or I wouldn't have accomplished anything until I was completely caught up.

A friend turned me on to the comic, for which I eternally bless and curse his name.

Get goin', Zack!

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/index2.php

BARNEY: Thank you for the links. They were both informative and worth reading.

shagin

shagin

Postby shagin » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:45 am

Name: shagin
ZACK: While I'm not of a mind to test out the structural strength of those poor Texas hoodlums, the thought of nibbling on a manatee was intriguing. Are they edible? That's something I've never considered nor read about. Interesting to research.

And while I'm pondering that, Zack ol' buddy, ol' friend, ol' chum, I have another comic for you. Well, for you, Harlan, or anyone else who's interested in a dab of whimsy, a smidge of mad science, a few dark corners, and some kick-ass storytelling.

GUNNERKRIGG COURT by Tom Siddell is well worth the read, folks. It is a web comic that has produce at least one paper collection and Neil Gaiman gave it a nod saying that GK reminded him of early material from BONES. The story is a blend of fantasy, etheric science, humor, drama, and a millieu with a depth and character all its own. There are no "good-guys" or "bad-guys", no cut and dry anything including the main character, Antimony.

The storytelling doesn't slap you in the face so much as it steeps in the back of your imagination until you reach a "aha!" moment and realize that Mr. Siddell doesn't leave hanging threads merely threads he plans to loop to another part of the weave. The art is quirky with only vague hints of manga (and I mean vague). Yes, the archives are substantial but think of the time invested in the archives as time well spent reading a good book. I limited myself to half a chapter a sitting, usually, or I wouldn't have accomplished anything until I was completely caught up.

A friend turned me on to the comic, for which I eternally bless and curse his name.

Get goin', Zack!

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/index2.php

BARNEY: Thank you for the links. They were both informative and worth reading.

shagin

William Sherman

Words By Which I Try To Live

Postby William Sherman » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:29 am

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

--- Ghandi

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”