Pavilion Digest: July 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

BrianSiano

I agree with Rick.

Postby BrianSiano » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:39 am

Name: Brian Siano
Source: unca20091007.htm
I was kind of surprised at Harlan's note about the chief complainer. Suggesting that others go and have at it with her struck me as being sorta out of character for our host.

So Rick's right, even before we ask ourselves what kind of grief _he'd_ have to endure once the minions start crossing the Net to each others' strongholds.

I did go over there to soak up the flavor of the argument. I figure, if I had anything to say, I'd do it over at my LJ space (http://briansiano.livejournal.com, of ya wanna know). If I want to pick a fight, I'll keep it from here.

So how about a change of subject? I've been catching up on _Mad Men_ on DVD and Blu-ray, after getting hooked on the second season this past year. Any thoughts on this amazing piece of work?

BrianSiano

I agree with Rick.

Postby BrianSiano » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:39 am

Name: Brian Siano
Source: unca20091009.htm
I was kind of surprised at Harlan's note about the chief complainer. Suggesting that others go and have at it with her struck me as being sorta out of character for our host.

So Rick's right, even before we ask ourselves what kind of grief _he'd_ have to endure once the minions start crossing the Net to each others' strongholds.

I did go over there to soak up the flavor of the argument. I figure, if I had anything to say, I'd do it over at my LJ space (http://briansiano.livejournal.com, of ya wanna know). If I want to pick a fight, I'll keep it from here.

So how about a change of subject? I've been catching up on _Mad Men_ on DVD and Blu-ray, after getting hooked on the second season this past year. Any thoughts on this amazing piece of work?

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:12 am

Name: Alan Coil
KOS!

Well sussed, well writ. Makes sense.

But I guess it's easier to believe a conspiracy theory.

A couple days ago, I thought I had something to say here, but had already made my post for that day. Now I have forgotten what it was. Anybody here a mind reader?

Or is it that I am getting old?

Or is it possibly hypothyroidism, symptoms of which include decreased energy, weight gain, low motivation, forgetfulness, and a host of other things?

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:12 am

Name: Alan Coil
KOS!

Well sussed, well writ. Makes sense.

But I guess it's easier to believe a conspiracy theory.

A couple days ago, I thought I had something to say here, but had already made my post for that day. Now I have forgotten what it was. Anybody here a mind reader?

Or is it that I am getting old?

Or is it possibly hypothyroidism, symptoms of which include decreased energy, weight gain, low motivation, forgetfulness, and a host of other things?

Le

For the Poe fans

Postby Le » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:15 am

Name: Le
I *adore* "The Cask of Amontillado," a masterpiece of irony... one of the greatest stories ever written.

I read a great scholarly article by Dr. Elena Baraban on it the other night, and pass the link to it here with the hope that other Poe fans will find it interesting. Dr. Baraban persuasively argues that Montresor was not insane, nor contrite, and she gives her theory as to why Montresor murdered Fortunato (and her theory reminded me a great deal of Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece BARRY LYNDON):
http://rmmla.wsu.edu/ereview/58.2/articles/baraban.asp

That scholarly book entitled RABELAIS AND HIS WORLD, which she discusses in her article, sounds very interesting. I am going to check it out from the library....

Le

For the Poe fans

Postby Le » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:15 am

Name: Le
I *adore* "The Cask of Amontillado," a masterpiece of irony... one of the greatest stories ever written.

I read a great scholarly article by Dr. Elena Baraban on it the other night, and pass the link to it here with the hope that other Poe fans will find it interesting. Dr. Baraban persuasively argues that Montresor was not insane, nor contrite, and she gives her theory as to why Montresor murdered Fortunato (and her theory reminded me a great deal of Stanley Kubrick's masterpiece BARRY LYNDON):
http://rmmla.wsu.edu/ereview/58.2/articles/baraban.asp

That scholarly book entitled RABELAIS AND HIS WORLD, which she discusses in her article, sounds very interesting. I am going to check it out from the library....

Douglas Harrison

A SECOND ATTEMPT TO PROCURE THE 1 MARCH 1930 ISSUE

Postby Douglas Harrison » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:28 am

Name: Douglas Harrison
HARLAN:

Okay, I've ordered a copy the 1 March 1930 issue of ADVENTURE from another bookseller, this one in the UK. (It's described as slightly shaken, in good-to-very-good condition.) Needless to say, don't get you're hopes above knee height: we'll see whether the thing ships this time.

As it's Friday night in the UK, I don't expect to hear whether the magazine has shipped until Monday. If it does goes out, it should take approximately five-to-ten business days to get to the HERC address. The cost this time is less: 14.85, or about $24.50.

Regards,
D.

Douglas Harrison

A SECOND ATTEMPT TO PROCURE THE 1 MARCH 1930 ISSUE

Postby Douglas Harrison » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:28 am

Name: Douglas Harrison
HARLAN:

Okay, I've ordered a copy the 1 March 1930 issue of ADVENTURE from another bookseller, this one in the UK. (It's described as slightly shaken, in good-to-very-good condition.) Needless to say, don't get you're hopes above knee height: we'll see whether the thing ships this time.

As it's Friday night in the UK, I don't expect to hear whether the magazine has shipped until Monday. If it does goes out, it should take approximately five-to-ten business days to get to the HERC address. The cost this time is less: 14.85, or about $24.50.

Regards,
D.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:29 am

Name: Frank Church
"I am not trying to get involved in this one, mostly because it was all a very long time ago."

Ian, it's called history. We have to confront it, so as not to repeat it.

You are a good scooper of chum, so I only give you a friendly little mental nudge.

Lovenibbles.

---------------

Wyatt, are you telling us to not do what Harlan just told us to do? Or am I confused?

What's that smell.

--------------

Let's keep this basic--Nazis are bad guys and we should never use them, even when they have the map to the temple of the Sun.

Nazis bad, anti-nazis good.

-------------

Now Obama has to apologize to that thug pig bastard who questioned Gates. Gates has a sparling reputation--when he speaks golden spikes are driven into the proud clay.

Obama didn't need to do shit. Having my doubts about him.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:29 am

Name: Frank Church
"I am not trying to get involved in this one, mostly because it was all a very long time ago."

Ian, it's called history. We have to confront it, so as not to repeat it.

You are a good scooper of chum, so I only give you a friendly little mental nudge.

Lovenibbles.

---------------

Wyatt, are you telling us to not do what Harlan just told us to do? Or am I confused?

What's that smell.

--------------

Let's keep this basic--Nazis are bad guys and we should never use them, even when they have the map to the temple of the Sun.

Nazis bad, anti-nazis good.

-------------

Now Obama has to apologize to that thug pig bastard who questioned Gates. Gates has a sparling reputation--when he speaks golden spikes are driven into the proud clay.

Obama didn't need to do shit. Having my doubts about him.

David Loftus

Mythos on the Edge of Forever

Postby David Loftus » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:24 am

Name: David Loftus
JAN and HARLAN:

I enjoyed reading Republibot Three's assessments of the script and book. Glad we had our direction pointed there, and that the results pleased our patron author. I'm not a Trekkie -- haven't seen most of the original series or the various spinoffs, though I've caught most of the feature films. I'm not even sure I've ever seen the original "City on the Edge of Forever" as broadcast, but being a die-hard Ellison fan I did buy the postmortem account with scripts and read it through.

I hope Republibot Three introduces himself and joins the happy discussion here.

David Loftus

Mythos on the Edge of Forever

Postby David Loftus » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:24 am

Name: David Loftus
JAN and HARLAN:

I enjoyed reading Republibot Three's assessments of the script and book. Glad we had our direction pointed there, and that the results pleased our patron author. I'm not a Trekkie -- haven't seen most of the original series or the various spinoffs, though I've caught most of the feature films. I'm not even sure I've ever seen the original "City on the Edge of Forever" as broadcast, but being a die-hard Ellison fan I did buy the postmortem account with scripts and read it through.

I hope Republibot Three introduces himself and joins the happy discussion here.

Scott Clark

Obama's CrowleyGate

Postby Scott Clark » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:56 am

Name: Scott Clark
Frank said "Now Obama has to apologize to that thug pig bastard who questioned Gates. Obama didn't need to do shit. Having my doubts about him."

Obama didn't need to do shit, but I for one am glad he did. There are (at least) two sides to every story, and we may never get the whole truth out of either Crowley or Gates. As it so happens Gates' house was broken into the week before this incident, according to a news report this morning. Obama joked about having a beer with Crowley and Gates to try and put this all behind them. Now if only Obama would call the Red Sox and wake their bats out of their sleepy doldrums.

Scott

Scott Clark

Obama's CrowleyGate

Postby Scott Clark » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:56 am

Name: Scott Clark
Frank said "Now Obama has to apologize to that thug pig bastard who questioned Gates. Obama didn't need to do shit. Having my doubts about him."

Obama didn't need to do shit, but I for one am glad he did. There are (at least) two sides to every story, and we may never get the whole truth out of either Crowley or Gates. As it so happens Gates' house was broken into the week before this incident, according to a news report this morning. Obama joked about having a beer with Crowley and Gates to try and put this all behind them. Now if only Obama would call the Red Sox and wake their bats out of their sleepy doldrums.

Scott

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

OPEN LETTER TO MS. KAY TEMPEST BRADFORD

Postby Harlan Ellison » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:35 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Dear Ms. Bradford:

You have a number of good friends who also happen to be good friends of mine. They have rallied on your behalf, to contact me by phone (four today alone), to tan my bottom in regards to my, well, at best, at very minimally best, my "snarky" response to what I perceived to be yet another Total Stranger Meanspirited Internet Troll Assault. I fear there is still a tot too much "street" in me to let such perceived calumny go unanswered.

Apparently, I received inadequate information, some of which I interpreted incorrectly, some of which was simply wrong.

One of the heartrending epiphanies of the current Paradigm Shift is that the most adolescently ignorant demographic of this far-from-perfect society needs to (as my President said today) "ratchet down the noise-level." The moment one such as I goes for the okeydoke and begins to believe this "geezer" bullshit, is the moment one realizes that we like in a Momentary-Celebrity Culture, and for everyone claiming sexism, racism, elitism, et al ... there are 10,000 arrogant little twits, semi-literate, semi-humanoid, and less-than-semi-courteous, who truly believe that to have SURVIVED and STILL BE PULLING THE PLOW, is to grant them power over you. Depression and anger and suicide follow therefrom.

I am 75. I'm old, I ain't senile.

I still work, I still publish, I still have very cool thoughts and do very cool deeds, every day. I'm not quite ready yet to let monkeybrain bloggers who need Google to know who Colette or Guy de Maupassant are, predicate my existence.

Mmm. I've drifted. Your friends tell me to back off and not attempt to exact the demonic vigerish that is my wont. Several people known and unknown to me personally advise me that you are rather a cranky soul yourself, so you shouldn't be TOO 'tude about my responding in kind.

That it turns out you're not as deserving of my bestial attentions as others I've used as objects of scaphism, warms my li'l ole heart, and if any part of my reply to your various blogs here'n'there was over the line, consider this a gentlemanly apologia. I know this message will get to you, via one or another conduit, so here's my IfYouTalkTheTalk you'd better be ready to WalkTheWalk: I have no idea where you live, but if you are anywhere near where I am, please name the time and the day, and my wife, Susan, and I would be condign taking you for an excellent meal at one of the great joints I frequent.

THEN--and ONLY then--you'll be able to make your own informed judgment about me. And you won't have to poison yourself with the fanboy/fangirl gossip that substitutes for ratiocination on this electronic asswipe of a medium.

You know where to find me.

Respectfully, Harlan Ellison

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”