Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Kloes

Adventure Pulp - No luck at Pulpfest

Postby Kloes » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:27 pm

Name: Lars Klores
Source: unca20091007.htm
Harlan -- Sorry, I was unable to locate the missing 3/15/30 Adventure Pulp at this weekend's Pulpfest. I will continue the search and let you know if I find one.

Kloes

Adventure Pulp - No luck at Pulpfest

Postby Kloes » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:27 pm

Name: Lars Klores
Source: unca20091009.htm
Harlan -- Sorry, I was unable to locate the missing 3/15/30 Adventure Pulp at this weekend's Pulpfest. I will continue the search and let you know if I find one.

Richard Cohen

Missing Bylines

Postby Richard Cohen » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:06 am

Name: Richard Cohen
Once upon a time I sent a feeble email to the Gale reference company complaining about
disappeared contributor credits: essays credited in the original physical versions of their
Lit.Crit. volumes had become anonymous in the online versions (accessed through the public library)
--- R. E. Briney's essay on "Henry Kuttner" in ST. JAMES GUIDE TO SCIENCE FICTION WRITERS,
for example, and Francis Nevins Jr.'s on "Cornell Woolrich" in ST. JAMES GUIDE TO CRIME
AND MYSTERY WRITERS (and presumably others).
Never had any response from Gale and, last time I checked, those particular bylines hadn't been restored.

So if there are Pavilion post-ers with facts or insights on this A)stinking policy or B)slovenly data transfer,
I'd like to read them.

Richard

Richard Cohen

Missing Bylines

Postby Richard Cohen » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:06 am

Name: Richard Cohen
Once upon a time I sent a feeble email to the Gale reference company complaining about
disappeared contributor credits: essays credited in the original physical versions of their
Lit.Crit. volumes had become anonymous in the online versions (accessed through the public library)
--- R. E. Briney's essay on "Henry Kuttner" in ST. JAMES GUIDE TO SCIENCE FICTION WRITERS,
for example, and Francis Nevins Jr.'s on "Cornell Woolrich" in ST. JAMES GUIDE TO CRIME
AND MYSTERY WRITERS (and presumably others).
Never had any response from Gale and, last time I checked, those particular bylines hadn't been restored.

So if there are Pavilion post-ers with facts or insights on this A)stinking policy or B)slovenly data transfer,
I'd like to read them.

Richard

Silvio Sosio

Postby Silvio Sosio » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:55 am

Name: Silvio Sosio
Hi Harlan (hi Jan), I've sent right now all the pdf to Steve, I hope they will be useful.
I'm really honored that one of my myths has interest about our publications, thank you.
We also publish a printed magazine, Robot, that revives an old italian magazine of the Seventies with the same name, that published "Croataon" in 1976. However, today sf publishing in Italy is another thing: we can sell one thousand copies of a magazine like that, while thirty years ago they were doing twenty times copies.
It's a shame how few of your work has been published in Italy.
Best wishes,
Silvio

Silvio Sosio

Postby Silvio Sosio » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:55 am

Name: Silvio Sosio
Hi Harlan (hi Jan), I've sent right now all the pdf to Steve, I hope they will be useful.
I'm really honored that one of my myths has interest about our publications, thank you.
We also publish a printed magazine, Robot, that revives an old italian magazine of the Seventies with the same name, that published "Croataon" in 1976. However, today sf publishing in Italy is another thing: we can sell one thousand copies of a magazine like that, while thirty years ago they were doing twenty times copies.
It's a shame how few of your work has been published in Italy.
Best wishes,
Silvio

Pogue

Pulpfest 2009

Postby Pogue » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:13 am

Name: Pogue
Ellison, I met someone who knew you at Pulpfest (Surprise. Surprise.) Ron Fortier...He told some story about some comic book that he had published that you just loved and had called him about once.

Also met Otto Penzler, with whom I believe you are acquainted. Otto had been the consultant on my Sherlock Holmes films back in the eighties when he was acting for the Conan Doyle estate. We had a similar conversation about the greying of pulp fandom, similar to the one you and I once had about Burroughs fandom. I kept looking around at all these grey old men, thinking them from my father's generation and then realizing they were from mine, mostly ten years either side of my age...Man, it was scary! I have no idea where the new blood is coming for this sort of stuff. I feel like a monk in the Dark Ages, keeping the sacred texts and knowledge safe until the Renaissance. Does all this stuff die out once geezers like us die off. Overheard: "Yeah, but can they make a kindle smell like a musty old pulp magazine."

I only spent a half day there...but the dealer room was fun. Reminded me of the old California book fairs before they became about trotting the same old tired stuff out every time, usually grotesquely overpriced, and the only deals being made were dealers selling to other dealers...nothing for your average punter.

Saw stuff I haven't seen in years.

Pogue

Pulpfest 2009

Postby Pogue » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:13 am

Name: Pogue
Ellison, I met someone who knew you at Pulpfest (Surprise. Surprise.) Ron Fortier...He told some story about some comic book that he had published that you just loved and had called him about once.

Also met Otto Penzler, with whom I believe you are acquainted. Otto had been the consultant on my Sherlock Holmes films back in the eighties when he was acting for the Conan Doyle estate. We had a similar conversation about the greying of pulp fandom, similar to the one you and I once had about Burroughs fandom. I kept looking around at all these grey old men, thinking them from my father's generation and then realizing they were from mine, mostly ten years either side of my age...Man, it was scary! I have no idea where the new blood is coming for this sort of stuff. I feel like a monk in the Dark Ages, keeping the sacred texts and knowledge safe until the Renaissance. Does all this stuff die out once geezers like us die off. Overheard: "Yeah, but can they make a kindle smell like a musty old pulp magazine."

I only spent a half day there...but the dealer room was fun. Reminded me of the old California book fairs before they became about trotting the same old tired stuff out every time, usually grotesquely overpriced, and the only deals being made were dealers selling to other dealers...nothing for your average punter.

Saw stuff I haven't seen in years.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:50 am

Name: Steve Barber

HARLAN - I have the copies from Silvio and will print them out for you. Unfortunately, I'm on a three day jaunt out of town -- and currently on a 4 hour delay in Salt Lake. I'll have Fantascienzia magazine to you by this weekend.

(No, couldn't get a really long layover in a city where I actually might KNOW someone. DC, Houston, SFO, Vegas... BUT NOOoooooo! *sigh*)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:50 am

Name: Steve Barber

HARLAN - I have the copies from Silvio and will print them out for you. Unfortunately, I'm on a three day jaunt out of town -- and currently on a 4 hour delay in Salt Lake. I'll have Fantascienzia magazine to you by this weekend.

(No, couldn't get a really long layover in a city where I actually might KNOW someone. DC, Houston, SFO, Vegas... BUT NOOoooooo! *sigh*)

Samuel John Klein

More Books and Witticism

Postby Samuel John Klein » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:06 am

Name: Samuel John Klein
The thing about people one knows is that when they hear you're trying to acquire (or reacquire) Harlan's books is they find them for you without asking, which isn't a bad thing.

My wife found me two new ones:

"Earthman, Go Home!" A typical 60's paperback, made with typical 60s paperback stock (the binding is going, and the paper is yellowing) and the title is driven home by a line of robots bearing down on you: the alien from "Earth Vs The Flying Saucers"; a blocky fellow I don't recognize; Robby from "Forbidden Planet", and the hot-cha android from Lang's "Metropolis".

Scared me back to home plant, tell you what.

In tiny sublettering: ORIGINAL TITLE: ELLISON WONDERLAND
Published by Paperback Library, 1968, 3rd printing; cover price 60c.

The other is a great one, DEATHBIRD STORIES. Cover illustration by Jim Burns, looking like something out of a Georgia O'Keefe fever dream. Published by Collier/Macmillan in 1990, cover price $4.95 ($6.95 in Canada). I've been hoping to stumble across Deathbird for a while

The pages are still paperback grade but of a somewhat higher quality. Small type on the page with generous margins, which reminds me of how galleys in the UK are set lovely type, small, close-set and tight leading, and generous gutters and margins. The type on the cover: Albertus, the same font used by Patrick McGoohan on The Village's signs in The Prisoner.

Oh, and a word from reality, our sponsor:
SAVE DAVID LOFTUS! He's not in danger, but can be redeemed for valuable prizes.

TO HARLAN: Sent you my landmail address by way of the webmaster's email address at the bottom of this page. FYI.

Sam Klein
Someone said my Chrisopher Walken impersonation sounded like my Katharine Hepburn impersonation. Difficulty: I don't have a Katharine Hepburn imperosnation.

Samuel John Klein

More Books and Witticism

Postby Samuel John Klein » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:06 am

Name: Samuel John Klein
The thing about people one knows is that when they hear you're trying to acquire (or reacquire) Harlan's books is they find them for you without asking, which isn't a bad thing.

My wife found me two new ones:

"Earthman, Go Home!" A typical 60's paperback, made with typical 60s paperback stock (the binding is going, and the paper is yellowing) and the title is driven home by a line of robots bearing down on you: the alien from "Earth Vs The Flying Saucers"; a blocky fellow I don't recognize; Robby from "Forbidden Planet", and the hot-cha android from Lang's "Metropolis".

Scared me back to home plant, tell you what.

In tiny sublettering: ORIGINAL TITLE: ELLISON WONDERLAND
Published by Paperback Library, 1968, 3rd printing; cover price 60c.

The other is a great one, DEATHBIRD STORIES. Cover illustration by Jim Burns, looking like something out of a Georgia O'Keefe fever dream. Published by Collier/Macmillan in 1990, cover price $4.95 ($6.95 in Canada). I've been hoping to stumble across Deathbird for a while

The pages are still paperback grade but of a somewhat higher quality. Small type on the page with generous margins, which reminds me of how galleys in the UK are set lovely type, small, close-set and tight leading, and generous gutters and margins. The type on the cover: Albertus, the same font used by Patrick McGoohan on The Village's signs in The Prisoner.

Oh, and a word from reality, our sponsor:
SAVE DAVID LOFTUS! He's not in danger, but can be redeemed for valuable prizes.

TO HARLAN: Sent you my landmail address by way of the webmaster's email address at the bottom of this page. FYI.

Sam Klein
Someone said my Chrisopher Walken impersonation sounded like my Katharine Hepburn impersonation. Difficulty: I don't have a Katharine Hepburn imperosnation.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:42 am

Name: Alan Coil
Re: Ron Fortier

Mr. Jigsaw might be that comic mentioned by Pogue.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:42 am

Name: Alan Coil
Re: Ron Fortier

Mr. Jigsaw might be that comic mentioned by Pogue.

john zeock

Blocky robot

Postby john zeock » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:56 am

Name: john zeock
Looked at the cover. Before that I thought it might have been TOBOR THE GREAT (1954) but it's a generic robot, I think, which is strange considering the other 3 figures are very specific.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”