Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Rick Keeney

Harlan

Postby Rick Keeney » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:56 pm

Name: Keeney
Source: unca20091007.htm
I received my Library of America catalog today. The ad copy for AMERICAN FANTASTIC TALES mentions you specifically;

"...the nightmarish post-apocalyptic savagery of Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream."

You need it?

Lemme know, it's yours.

Hi Cindy.

Only good things,
Rick

Rick Keeney

Harlan

Postby Rick Keeney » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:56 pm

Name: Keeney
Source: unca20091009.htm
I received my Library of America catalog today. The ad copy for AMERICAN FANTASTIC TALES mentions you specifically;

"...the nightmarish post-apocalyptic savagery of Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream."

You need it?

Lemme know, it's yours.

Hi Cindy.

Only good things,
Rick

Kris Nelson

Neil Gaiman, I could kiss you!

Postby Kris Nelson » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:25 pm

Name: Kris Nelson
With the deluge of half-rate Vampire material out lately (True Blood, Twilight, etc.) and the goth trend that has steadily grown over the years, Neil has put into words succinctly how I feel about such things:

"I had a long conversation with Christina Amoroso at Entertainment Weekly last month about Vampires in popular culture, from Varney the Vampire until now: she's managed somehow to make it a 400 word interview over at http://shelf-life.ew.com/2009/07/31/nei ... derground/

(And note that I'm not saying there's anything bad about vampires, quite the opposite. Just that in a world in which a dozen people immediately write to me on Twitter to point out that I've got it wrong, as they are all writing Vampire stories, in which Vampires are now everywhere, is a world in which High Vampire Season is coming to an end). You shouldn't be glutted with vampires: they should be a spice, not a food group."

Kris Nelson

Neil Gaiman, I could kiss you!

Postby Kris Nelson » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:25 pm

Name: Kris Nelson
With the deluge of half-rate Vampire material out lately (True Blood, Twilight, etc.) and the goth trend that has steadily grown over the years, Neil has put into words succinctly how I feel about such things:

"I had a long conversation with Christina Amoroso at Entertainment Weekly last month about Vampires in popular culture, from Varney the Vampire until now: she's managed somehow to make it a 400 word interview over at http://shelf-life.ew.com/2009/07/31/nei ... derground/

(And note that I'm not saying there's anything bad about vampires, quite the opposite. Just that in a world in which a dozen people immediately write to me on Twitter to point out that I've got it wrong, as they are all writing Vampire stories, in which Vampires are now everywhere, is a world in which High Vampire Season is coming to an end). You shouldn't be glutted with vampires: they should be a spice, not a food group."

Samuel John Klein

Book Arrival: Too Many Vampires; et. al. (Poor Al!)

Postby Samuel John Klein » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:13 pm

Name: Samuel John Klein
HARLAN: PAINGOD arrived today. So very nice to have this book. Thankyew.

Also, saw your interview with the fellow from the "Dark Dreamers" video series on YouTube today. That was maybe one of your best interviews. What I really enjoyed about it was, toward the end, where you started talking about the physical labor that is writing and how to do it and you stopped talking to him and started talking to the camera, which meant you started talking to the viewer. That really held my attention and drove several points home. You explain with the same force as your writing, which means I love watching interviews with you or when you speak. You're an amazingly compelling speaker, if you don't mind my saying so.

KRIS NELSON: Thank God (as you see him/her/it/cosmic muffin) that Gaiman said that. That had to be said. I know that romance writing is as evergreen as it is sometimes risible, but vampire romance has gotten althogether too-silly and too-smooshy of late. I remember, even though I'm generally impressed by Joss Whedon, never getting on board with the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" bandwagon. Something about the series just *bothered* me (but not the movie that inspired it, which was a pleasantly sarcastic collision of teen horror/teen angst/teenybopper genres). Gaiman has crystallised what bothered me about this. His words vampires need to go back underground are blunt but spoken truth. There are some good examples of the supernatural romance genre, but when its main commercial appeal becomes "tweenies", then it's (you'll excuse the expression) jumped the shark.

DAVID LOFTUS: Read your denouement of the guerilla gardening episode and you have my unending respect. I might have been there except that I am a wage slave and was stuck in traffic at the approximate time (0800-0815 PDT) you mentioned, on the way back from my own efforts in helping power the griding machine that is the American economy. Thank you for giving a fsck.

ATC: Nice one about the aquifer. In PDX we have pure, clear, Bull Run water, best in the nation, except when we have to draw from the floodplain of the Columbia, which was home to industry and thus has plumes of nasty chemicals in the ground, some of which may or may not be mummyogeinc. I'll keep everyone posted.

Sam Klein
My mistakes are my own,
Including my orthodoxy,
Which was derived from even earlier mistakes.

Samuel John Klein

Book Arrival: Too Many Vampires; et. al. (Poor Al!)

Postby Samuel John Klein » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:13 pm

Name: Samuel John Klein
HARLAN: PAINGOD arrived today. So very nice to have this book. Thankyew.

Also, saw your interview with the fellow from the "Dark Dreamers" video series on YouTube today. That was maybe one of your best interviews. What I really enjoyed about it was, toward the end, where you started talking about the physical labor that is writing and how to do it and you stopped talking to him and started talking to the camera, which meant you started talking to the viewer. That really held my attention and drove several points home. You explain with the same force as your writing, which means I love watching interviews with you or when you speak. You're an amazingly compelling speaker, if you don't mind my saying so.

KRIS NELSON: Thank God (as you see him/her/it/cosmic muffin) that Gaiman said that. That had to be said. I know that romance writing is as evergreen as it is sometimes risible, but vampire romance has gotten althogether too-silly and too-smooshy of late. I remember, even though I'm generally impressed by Joss Whedon, never getting on board with the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" bandwagon. Something about the series just *bothered* me (but not the movie that inspired it, which was a pleasantly sarcastic collision of teen horror/teen angst/teenybopper genres). Gaiman has crystallised what bothered me about this. His words vampires need to go back underground are blunt but spoken truth. There are some good examples of the supernatural romance genre, but when its main commercial appeal becomes "tweenies", then it's (you'll excuse the expression) jumped the shark.

DAVID LOFTUS: Read your denouement of the guerilla gardening episode and you have my unending respect. I might have been there except that I am a wage slave and was stuck in traffic at the approximate time (0800-0815 PDT) you mentioned, on the way back from my own efforts in helping power the griding machine that is the American economy. Thank you for giving a fsck.

ATC: Nice one about the aquifer. In PDX we have pure, clear, Bull Run water, best in the nation, except when we have to draw from the floodplain of the Columbia, which was home to industry and thus has plumes of nasty chemicals in the ground, some of which may or may not be mummyogeinc. I'll keep everyone posted.

Sam Klein
My mistakes are my own,
Including my orthodoxy,
Which was derived from even earlier mistakes.

Tony Isabella

Thought for the Day

Postby Tony Isabella » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:40 am

Name: Tony Isabella
When one door closes, try driving a car through it.

Tony Isabella

Thought for the Day

Postby Tony Isabella » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:40 am

Name: Tony Isabella
When one door closes, try driving a car through it.

Hank Graham

Free stuff for Harlan

Postby Hank Graham » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:46 am

Name: Hank Graham
Harlan:

Would it be okay to send you a comic book, for no better reason than that I love it and I think you might to?

I ask because the comic in question is a web comic, "Digger," by Ursula Vernon, and I just scored some dead-tree versions of it at Comic Con. Since you only do the web through intermediaries, I didn't think you'd have run into this, and I want to change that.

best,
Hank

Hank Graham

Free stuff for Harlan

Postby Hank Graham » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:46 am

Harlan:

Would it be okay to send you a comic book, for no better reason than that I love it and I think you might to?

I ask because the comic in question is a web comic, "Digger," by Ursula Vernon, and I just scored some dead-tree versions of it at Comic Con. Since you only do the web through intermediaries, I didn't think you'd have run into this, and I want to change that.

best,
Hank

Hank Graham

Oops!

Postby Hank Graham » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:47 am

I meant, of course, that you might, TOO.

I do know the difference between to and too, and let he who is without typos cast the first flame.

Hank Graham

Oops!

Postby Hank Graham » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:47 am

I meant, of course, that you might, TOO.

I do know the difference between to and too, and let he who is without typos cast the first flame.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:05 am

Name: Alan Coil
Hank,

I never make tpyos.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:05 am

Name: Alan Coil
Hank,

I never make tpyos.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:59 am

Name: Ezra
Ah it pays to be pure in heart! And to haunt the used bookstores like one of Lovecraft's doomed seekers. No, I haven't stumbled upon a copy of the Necronomicon yet but I did lately secure a copy of the dreaded and unspeakable A LOVECRAFT RETROSPECTIVE, the 400 page, 13 pound, art tome bracketed by essays from Our Gracious Host and one of my other favorites, Mr Thomas Ligotti.

I received it sans slipcover but otherwise in fine condition and for barely a third of its original cover price! And it's beeee-you-tee-full! As hideous a COLOUR as has ever filtered down from OUTSIDE...

Some related news...If you're not familiar with Ligotti's work (and why the hell not?) be aware that SUTERRANEAN PRESS is planning to reissue Ligotti's earlier short story collections next year. subterraneanpress.com

Also speaking of dwellers in obscurity, any David Lindsay fans out there? VOYAGE TO ARCTURUS? Well be advised that RESONANCE BOOKWORKS is reissuing all of Lindsay's work. VOYAGE has been published under its original title NIGHTSPORE IN TORMANCE. THE SPHINX is out, to be followed shortly by THE HAUNTED WOMAN and the only one I haven't read THE VIOLET APPLE which was unfinished at Lindsay's death. www.twelvearound1.com/resonancebooklist.html

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”