Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Samuel John Klein

"Where I Write"; Thanks For The Article Ref; Book Cover Art

Postby Samuel John Klein » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:47 pm

Name: Samuel John Klein
Source: unca20091007.htm
Hey, everyone should go look at the site "Where I Write", by Philadelphia photographer Kyle Cassidy, copy and past this into your browser thingy:

http://whereiwrite.org

It's a documentary project where he snaps well-know F & SF authors in their creative spaces. I saw Ben Bova in his office, Michael Swanwick, and Samuel R. "Chip" Delaney in his. The Delaney photo is particularly effective; it's done in a fish-eye wide-angle, ad makes it look like he's at the center of the Big Bang and it's about to go off, creating a universe of literature. Looking at it made me feel the way I felt after I finished Dhalgren.

I'm hoping he can somehow get one of Harlan. Right now there's 20 authors documented; currently my favorite one is Joe Haldeman, who writes in a sketchbook, in longhand, by lantern and candle light, in the wee hours before the dawn. Harlan definitely belongs in there.

DIMA: Thank you for putting up the link to the AlterNet article at http://www.alternet.org/story/106551/. It's kind of preaching to the choir (anyone who needs waking up will not likely be reading AlterNet) but it made me feel less alone, because at least I know now it's not just me that sees things that way.

HARLAN ELLISON: did you have input on the cover art in the 1983 Ace editions like you've had in other lines? The artwork is appropriate in tone to the insides justt like in the Pyrmaid Uniform editions but being less abstract (but still surreal) it impinges in a different way. I've seen the covers to the 1983 Aces for PAINGOD and NO DOORS, NO WINDOWS and they reflect the contents very well.

Samuel John Klein

"Where I Write"; Thanks For The Article Ref; Book Cover Art

Postby Samuel John Klein » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:47 pm

Source: unca20091009.htm
Hey, everyone should go look at the site "Where I Write", by Philadelphia photographer Kyle Cassidy, copy and past this into your browser thingy:

http://whereiwrite.org

It's a documentary project where he snaps well-know F & SF authors in their creative spaces. I saw Ben Bova in his office, Michael Swanwick, and Samuel R. "Chip" Delaney in his. The Delaney photo is particularly effective; it's done in a fish-eye wide-angle, ad makes it look like he's at the center of the Big Bang and it's about to go off, creating a universe of literature. Looking at it made me feel the way I felt after I finished Dhalgren.

I'm hoping he can somehow get one of Harlan. Right now there's 20 authors documented; currently my favorite one is Joe Haldeman, who writes in a sketchbook, in longhand, by lantern and candle light, in the wee hours before the dawn. Harlan definitely belongs in there.

DIMA: Thank you for putting up the link to the AlterNet article at http://www.alternet.org/story/106551/. It's kind of preaching to the choir (anyone who needs waking up will not likely be reading AlterNet) but it made me feel less alone, because at least I know now it's not just me that sees things that way.

HARLAN ELLISON: did you have input on the cover art in the 1983 Ace editions like you've had in other lines? The artwork is appropriate in tone to the insides justt like in the Pyrmaid Uniform editions but being less abstract (but still surreal) it impinges in a different way. I've seen the covers to the 1983 Aces for PAINGOD and NO DOORS, NO WINDOWS and they reflect the contents very well.

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:58 pm

Name: Cindy
Andrew,
I am saddened by the loss of your childhood friend. There is no way to soften such a hard hit with words. I have a childhood friend, Becky--forty years we've been best friends. I feel certain that your friend knows how much you care about him.

There is an old woman here in Mason, her name is Gerda Kothmann. She told me after her husband died she was heartbroken. She said they had been very close. One night, not too long after he passed away she told me that she woke up and
saw him standing by the foot of their bed. She said he just stood there smiling at her. She said just seeing him one last time gave her great comfort, but she was afraid to tell anyone for a long time for fear that someone would think she was losing her mind. After several months she confided in a friend, another elderly woman in town-- whom I know as well. She said her friend said the same thing happened to her after her husband died. She didn't want to tell anyone either because she was afraid they wouldn't believe her. Both women are Lutheran and go to my church. The Church doesn't believe that people can come back and check on those they love-- but we do... me and these 90 year old ladies.
:)
Cindy

Steve Barber,
I loved your snapshot of travelers over American skies. You know you have to be a lovely person too-- to get others engaged that way.
I suspected as much,
Cindy

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:58 pm

Name: Cindy
Andrew,
I am saddened by the loss of your childhood friend. There is no way to soften such a hard hit with words. I have a childhood friend, Becky--forty years we've been best friends. I feel certain that your friend knows how much you care about him.

There is an old woman here in Mason, her name is Gerda Kothmann. She told me after her husband died she was heartbroken. She said they had been very close. One night, not too long after he passed away she told me that she woke up and
saw him standing by the foot of their bed. She said he just stood there smiling at her. She said just seeing him one last time gave her great comfort, but she was afraid to tell anyone for a long time for fear that someone would think she was losing her mind. After several months she confided in a friend, another elderly woman in town-- whom I know as well. She said her friend said the same thing happened to her after her husband died. She didn't want to tell anyone either because she was afraid they wouldn't believe her. Both women are Lutheran and go to my church. The Church doesn't believe that people can come back and check on those they love-- but we do... me and these 90 year old ladies.
Cindy

Steve Barber,
I loved your snapshot of travelers over American skies. You know you have to be a lovely person too-- to get others engaged that way.
I suspected as much,
Cindy

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:48 pm

Name: Brian Siano
To Sam Klein: Kyle's a friend and neighbor, and we're all real proud of him down here in Philadelphia Holler. His book _Armed America_ is a wonderful photoessay on gun owners, and he's always at work on fascinating projects.

So Harlan, if Kyle _does_ contact you about his "Where I Write" project... well, I don't know how much pull my word has with you, but Kyle's _very_ good people with extraordinary talents, and he'd do an excellent job, so look kindly upon him.

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:48 pm

Name: Brian Siano
To Sam Klein: Kyle's a friend and neighbor, and we're all real proud of him down here in Philadelphia Holler. His book _Armed America_ is a wonderful photoessay on gun owners, and he's always at work on fascinating projects.

So Harlan, if Kyle _does_ contact you about his "Where I Write" project... well, I don't know how much pull my word has with you, but Kyle's _very_ good people with extraordinary talents, and he'd do an excellent job, so look kindly upon him.

Josh (not Olson)

Thanks

Postby Josh (not Olson) » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 pm

Name: Josh (not Olson)
Thank you for the report Dennis C.

Hope ya'll attending are having a great time.

Josh (not Olson)

Thanks

Postby Josh (not Olson) » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:28 pm

Name: Josh (not Olson)
Thank you for the report Dennis C.

Hope ya'll attending are having a great time.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:17 am

Name: Ezra
I'm pleased the Wash Post gave Budd Schulberg a nice well written and lengthy obit. Having grown up with the ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW I remember how blown away I was to see A FACE IN THE CROWD while at school. A chilling potrait of pure evil equaled only by Angela Lansbury's performance in MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE. (Two actors whose subsequent careers did not hint perhaps at their true range.)

And so prescient! Not to disparage Paddy Chayevsky in any way but Schulberg got there first.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:17 am

Name: Ezra
I'm pleased the Wash Post gave Budd Schulberg a nice well written and lengthy obit. Having grown up with the ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW I remember how blown away I was to see A FACE IN THE CROWD while at school. A chilling potrait of pure evil equaled only by Angela Lansbury's performance in MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE. (Two actors whose subsequent careers did not hint perhaps at their true range.)

And so prescient! Not to disparage Paddy Chayevsky in any way but Schulberg got there first.

Adam-Troy

A Great Idea for a Novel

Postby Adam-Troy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:54 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Here's a proposal for a new novel: a political thriller.

The former President of the United States flies to the most dangerous dictatorship in the world and comes home with two American journalists, women, who had been imprisoned and were in danger of spending the rest of their very short lives at hard labor.

He reunites them with their families, the mother with her child.

Afterward, he does not answer a single question from the press, letting the moment speak for itself.

Pundits on both ends of the political spectrum rake him over the coals for his deed, some radio and tv personalities on the right sniggering over whether he tried to get lucky with the women on the way home.

Nor is the left any kinder. One major columnist wonders whether he did it to embarrass his wife, the current Secretary of State. One major news outlet trumpets a headline that he upstaged her, again. People write analyses probing his psychosexual history, which is indeed not clear of troubling moments, for hidden signs of a need to diminish and degrade his wife's own considerable accomplishments.

At least two major opinionmakers get on TV and opine that it would have better for the two American citizens to remain the prisoners of that hostile government and rot.

Great idea for a novel, huh?

No, I guess you're right. Nobody would ever buy anything that stupid.

Adam-Troy

A Great Idea for a Novel

Postby Adam-Troy » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:54 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Here's a proposal for a new novel: a political thriller.

The former President of the United States flies to the most dangerous dictatorship in the world and comes home with two American journalists, women, who had been imprisoned and were in danger of spending the rest of their very short lives at hard labor.

He reunites them with their families, the mother with her child.

Afterward, he does not answer a single question from the press, letting the moment speak for itself.

Pundits on both ends of the political spectrum rake him over the coals for his deed, some radio and tv personalities on the right sniggering over whether he tried to get lucky with the women on the way home.

Nor is the left any kinder. One major columnist wonders whether he did it to embarrass his wife, the current Secretary of State. One major news outlet trumpets a headline that he upstaged her, again. People write analyses probing his psychosexual history, which is indeed not clear of troubling moments, for hidden signs of a need to diminish and degrade his wife's own considerable accomplishments.

At least two major opinionmakers get on TV and opine that it would have better for the two American citizens to remain the prisoners of that hostile government and rot.

Great idea for a novel, huh?

No, I guess you're right. Nobody would ever buy anything that stupid.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:19 am

Name: Steve Barber

Adam-Troy - You speak, in one post, to the best and to the worst in our culture.

In a variation on a famous quote (the original had to do with Nixon and China): Only Bill Clinton could go to North Korea.

Hi Dima! Nice to know you're still a-lurk.

Thanks Cindy! I just find "most" people to be very interesting. On an airliner I've fund that each passenger tends to set their own level of conversation. The woman in the midst of a divorce was very warm and friendly, but expressed kind of a stunned shock at how much she had shared with me in the three hour flight. I replied that sometimes, when life is banging you about the head, you just need to talk to a stranger.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:19 am

Name: Steve Barber

Adam-Troy - You speak, in one post, to the best and to the worst in our culture.

In a variation on a famous quote (the original had to do with Nixon and China): Only Bill Clinton could go to North Korea.

Hi Dima! Nice to know you're still a-lurk.

Thanks Cindy! I just find "most" people to be very interesting. On an airliner I've fund that each passenger tends to set their own level of conversation. The woman in the midst of a divorce was very warm and friendly, but expressed kind of a stunned shock at how much she had shared with me in the three hour flight. I replied that sometimes, when life is banging you about the head, you just need to talk to a stranger.

Samuel John Klein

Where I write; Roddenberry (sorry!); where I send condolenc

Postby Samuel John Klein » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:13 am

BRIAN SIANO: Quite an endorsement, If I do say so. I contacted him for permission to use a clipping of one of the photos and he was most affable and delighted to contact me back. Quite a positive personality there! And he gets hot Frenchwomen to visit him, so he's obviously living right.

EVERYONE WHO'S LOST SOMEONE: I have held back on extending condolences to those who have lost a close, dear friend because, still being relatively new round these parts, I didn't want to extend hasty condolences, because I find that when I read such thing back to myself, they come off insincere.

But I do have some feeling on that subject, as two dear friends of my own have passed over the past year untimely passings, both (though one had severe but - we thought - complacent heart problems) and suddenly too. In one cases, only when I had this dear fellow in the rear-view, did I only realize what a source of inspiration and a muse he was! And he was the most unlikely muse but he was like a big brother to me for the end.

So, my condolences, belated as they were, and delayed by a pretty dumb personal calculus. I don't know EXACTLY what you're going through, but I think I can make a personal educated guess.

ON THE SUBJECT OF RODDENBERRY, (Warning: If you love Roddenberry, what I have to say might not seem entirely fairI mentioned this man because I just finished Engel's Roddenberry biography the non-hagiographical one. I found it bracing. I'd enjoyed Star Trek for many, many years, but have always felt that ST did for SF what I felt Disney did for film and art in general occasionally very brilliant but on the whole kind of candy-assed and overprocessed, kind of like the difference between "American cheese" and Cheddar cheese, if I'm not straining the metaphor too much. As it often turns out, looking at the dark side of things proves to be just as illuminative as looking at the bright side, moreover, reading that book made some of the things I've heard about Roddenberry even as a complete SF writing outsider, such was the man's reputation that these things got out in fact, the whole mosaic of the man's personality made more sense.

He wanted to be wealthy, famous, and admired. Nothing necessarily wrong with that. Hell, I'D like to be wealthy, famous, and admired. But I'm left wondering if Roddenberry would have been any less happy if he hadn't have taken some of those head trips he took.

Every coin has heads and tails. You can't have a one-sided coin. And the "legend" of Gene Roddenberry feels a lot less one-sided if you can get a look at the man's warts, which is something I get the feeling is glossed over when it comes to him.

Going to the top of my wish-list is Harlan's edition of "City on the Edge of Forever". I read the free sample pages that Amazon had and I want to see the rest ESPECIALLY the original script, so I have knowledge, instead of the rumor any myth you're likely to get from an uncritical vox populi.

Sam Klein
Self-cleaning, self-editing, self-folding, self-iconoclasm.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”