Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Clipping Service

Harlan on PBS....

Postby Clipping Service » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:06 am

Name: Clipping Service
Source: unca20091009.htm
DREAMS WITH TEETH features a brief excerpt from this 1981 half hour PBS documentary.

Here is the entire thing:

http://diva.sfsu.edu/bundles/187457

It is a bit slow to load, but worth the wait.

Harlan (and pipe) appears about five minutes in, and reappears throughout.

So much has changed. So little has changed.

Samuel John Klein

Mary: Ellison Not Michael Jackson; Shave Steve Barber!

Postby Samuel John Klein » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:53 am

Name: Samuel John Klein
Source: unca20091007.htm
MARY SOUTHWORTH, who's name is simply glorious and fun to say, as sincerely as I can for someone who's not be around here for long, but as someone who's lost two very dear friends over the last year and have been by at least one family member in thier final hours, I will you as much strength as you will take from me.

Be good to your loved ones and be especially good to yourself, because you can't be good to others UNLESS you're good to yourself. Give yourself permission to react honestly, openly, and with truth to yourself.

STEVE BARBER, PART I: When in Portland (if you ever are in Portland) you'll be enjoined from going to Supercuts. It wouldn't be right. It's a Barber or nothing! Since I never get haircuts (yes, my hair is quite long) I can't make a recommendation, but if the opp ever presents itself, I can scout out barbers on Barbur for them. Can't vouche for the music (if any) though.

STEVE BARBER, PART II: in regards to HARLAN ELLISON STILL NOT DEAD; PARAMOUNT BLAMES TYPO, SHOULD HAVE READ "MICHAEL JACKSON";

Are you saying the headline should have read:

HARLAN ELLISON STILL NOT MICHAEL JACKSON?

Oh, ai yi yi.

I should hope to shout that Harlan's still not MJ. I think this "Typo" person should be found and pilloried. Paramount can still shoulder the blame for all that other stuff.

HARLAN ELLISON: "Vertical and vicious" would be a SPLENDID motto or tagline. Imagine how much more Brawny paper towels would sell instead of, if they said "Brawny: The Quicker Picker Upper", they said "Brawny: Vertical and Vicious".

Well, probably not much more. Actually, probably much less.

Okay, now it can be told: I have vendetta against Brawny paper towels.

No damned reason.

Sam Klein.
Equal parts hope and apprehension.

Samuel John Klein

Mary: Ellison Not Michael Jackson; Shave Steve Barber!

Postby Samuel John Klein » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:53 am

Name: Samuel John Klein
MARY SOUTHWORTH, who's name is simply glorious and fun to say, as sincerely as I can for someone who's not be around here for long, but as someone who's lost two very dear friends over the last year and have been by at least one family member in thier final hours, I will you as much strength as you will take from me.

Be good to your loved ones and be especially good to yourself, because you can't be good to others UNLESS you're good to yourself. Give yourself permission to react honestly, openly, and with truth to yourself.

STEVE BARBER, PART I: When in Portland (if you ever are in Portland) you'll be enjoined from going to Supercuts. It wouldn't be right. It's a Barber or nothing! Since I never get haircuts (yes, my hair is quite long) I can't make a recommendation, but if the opp ever presents itself, I can scout out barbers on Barbur for them. Can't vouche for the music (if any) though.

STEVE BARBER, PART II: in regards to HARLAN ELLISON STILL NOT DEAD; PARAMOUNT BLAMES TYPO, SHOULD HAVE READ "MICHAEL JACKSON";

Are you saying the headline should have read:

HARLAN ELLISON STILL NOT MICHAEL JACKSON?

Oh, ai yi yi.

I should hope to shout that Harlan's still not MJ. I think this "Typo" person should be found and pilloried. Paramount can still shoulder the blame for all that other stuff.

HARLAN ELLISON: "Vertical and vicious" would be a SPLENDID motto or tagline. Imagine how much more Brawny paper towels would sell instead of, if they said "Brawny: The Quicker Picker Upper", they said "Brawny: Vertical and Vicious".

Well, probably not much more. Actually, probably much less.

Okay, now it can be told: I have vendetta against Brawny paper towels.

No damned reason.

Sam Klein.
Equal parts hope and apprehension.

Mary Southworth

George Young

Postby Mary Southworth » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:06 am

Name: Mary Southworth
Dear Harlan,

Thanks for your kind and sincere thoughts.
George passed away this morning.
He is in a better place - probably an everlasting MidwestCon....
In memory of past good times,
Love,
mary

Mary Southworth

George Young

Postby Mary Southworth » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:06 am

Name: Mary Southworth
Dear Harlan,

Thanks for your kind and sincere thoughts.
George passed away this morning.
He is in a better place - probably an everlasting MidwestCon....
In memory of past good times,
Love,
mary

Mary

Postby Mary » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:08 am

Name: Mary
My condolences to Mary Southworth...and at times like these, I wish I could say more.

Mary

Postby Mary » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:08 am

Name: Mary
My condolences to Mary Southworth...and at times like these, I wish I could say more.

Dennis C

WorldCon Whirling Down the Drain

Postby Dennis C » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:12 am

Name: Dennis C
Mary --
I am sorry for your loss. Words break. Nothing we can say will make a difference but know our thoughts are with you.

WorldCon Sunday

Marvelous panel this morning on "Becoming Elders" with Connie Willis, Joe Haldeman (who did show up after the first day), Pat Cadigan, Elizabeth Vonarburg and Robert Charles Wilson in which most decry being Elders (except Connie who finds the bright side of death). A great group just discussing life and death. Of course our illustrious host would say: Elders? They're young whippersnappers. And rightly so.

Then Neil Gaiman had another interview session in which he talked about critics and reviewers... though it turned mostly into an analysis of Gene Wolfe's work.

Had to miss Neil's last panel because it was time for my Writers Workshop. Now I'm no spring chicken and in my day job I deal with Big Time people and the Powerful with no qualms whatsoever.
But I was shaking like a leaf at this -- I think it's baring your most private parts (Not that part -- I mean my story) and having people lunge at it with spears and knives.
Anyway, it went OK. I was kind of in the middle. One guy got savaged; then the second guy got praised. I got half and half. They loved stuff and utterly despised other stuff, but did not tell me to throw it away -- it just needs lots of work (I was the only one that had one moderator shaking his head near tears). So I guess that's good. Now it's just: after having my head smashed against the wall repeatedly so bits of skull and brain are left matted there, dripping and running down the crevices... do I really wanna get near that wall again so soon? Dunno. Have some time to figure it out, I guess.

Tonight are the Hugos, but in following the rules of the Pavilion, I will not post again today. Tomorrow we drive to Quebec City for a little more sightseeing and vacation, so I will only post again if there is news that directly affects our host or someone on this board.

Dennis C

WorldCon Whirling Down the Drain

Postby Dennis C » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:12 am

Name: Dennis C
Mary --
I am sorry for your loss. Words break. Nothing we can say will make a difference but know our thoughts are with you.

WorldCon Sunday

Marvelous panel this morning on "Becoming Elders" with Connie Willis, Joe Haldeman (who did show up after the first day), Pat Cadigan, Elizabeth Vonarburg and Robert Charles Wilson in which most decry being Elders (except Connie who finds the bright side of death). A great group just discussing life and death. Of course our illustrious host would say: Elders? They're young whippersnappers. And rightly so.

Then Neil Gaiman had another interview session in which he talked about critics and reviewers... though it turned mostly into an analysis of Gene Wolfe's work.

Had to miss Neil's last panel because it was time for my Writers Workshop. Now I'm no spring chicken and in my day job I deal with Big Time people and the Powerful with no qualms whatsoever.
But I was shaking like a leaf at this -- I think it's baring your most private parts (Not that part -- I mean my story) and having people lunge at it with spears and knives.
Anyway, it went OK. I was kind of in the middle. One guy got savaged; then the second guy got praised. I got half and half. They loved stuff and utterly despised other stuff, but did not tell me to throw it away -- it just needs lots of work (I was the only one that had one moderator shaking his head near tears). So I guess that's good. Now it's just: after having my head smashed against the wall repeatedly so bits of skull and brain are left matted there, dripping and running down the crevices... do I really wanna get near that wall again so soon? Dunno. Have some time to figure it out, I guess.

Tonight are the Hugos, but in following the rules of the Pavilion, I will not post again today. Tomorrow we drive to Quebec City for a little more sightseeing and vacation, so I will only post again if there is news that directly affects our host or someone on this board.

Mark Zug

A wish, and a couple enthusiasms

Postby Mark Zug » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:00 pm

Name: Mark Zug
Being ministered to and pampered by HE *would* make it -- almost -- worth having a flu. But not really. Get better, Susan; return to the world of health-taken-for-granted.

Adam Troy Castro, a belated and now-redundant thank-you for the tremendous sand-painting link, which I have shared onward. It occurred to me that it was a futuristic image: A lithe shamaness dancing over some light-emitting box which turned hand movements into an expressive story, probably through sophisticated computers and holography. Something that might happen in an Ellison script. But it was so simply done. Could have been done in a pre-industrial age, with candles and an overhead mirror.

I am reading for the first time the Red Mars / Green Mars / Blue Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. To this I've come way, way, too late. This crew doubtlessly knows the work, but just in case: Hard-tech, humanistic, near-to-medium future speculative adventure, without alien overlords or weird powers.

Drink. Ahhhhhhhhh.

Mark Zug

Mark Zug

A wish, and a couple enthusiasms

Postby Mark Zug » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:00 pm

Name: Mark Zug
Being ministered to and pampered by HE *would* make it -- almost -- worth having a flu. But not really. Get better, Susan; return to the world of health-taken-for-granted.

Adam Troy Castro, a belated and now-redundant thank-you for the tremendous sand-painting link, which I have shared onward. It occurred to me that it was a futuristic image: A lithe shamaness dancing over some light-emitting box which turned hand movements into an expressive story, probably through sophisticated computers and holography. Something that might happen in an Ellison script. But it was so simply done. Could have been done in a pre-industrial age, with candles and an overhead mirror.

I am reading for the first time the Red Mars / Green Mars / Blue Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. To this I've come way, way, too late. This crew doubtlessly knows the work, but just in case: Hard-tech, humanistic, near-to-medium future speculative adventure, without alien overlords or weird powers.

Drink. Ahhhhhhhhh.

Mark Zug

Tony Isabella

Postby Tony Isabella » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:35 pm

Name: Tony Isabella
Here's me sending good thoughts for a quick recovery to the wonderful Susan.

If that doesn't work, I'm willing to sacrifice a Birther to my dark gods.

Tony Isabella

Postby Tony Isabella » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:35 pm

Name: Tony Isabella
Here's me sending good thoughts for a quick recovery to the wonderful Susan.

If that doesn't work, I'm willing to sacrifice a Birther to my dark gods.

john zeock

#@

Postby john zeock » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Name: john zeock
Susan-get well soon. To Samuel John Klein-the gay Republican is like the battered wife-convinced that her spouse is mostly good to her and really doesn't mean it.

john zeock

#@

Postby john zeock » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:43 pm

Name: john zeock
Susan-get well soon. To Samuel John Klein-the gay Republican is like the battered wife-convinced that her spouse is mostly good to her and really doesn't mean it.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”