Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

MY NEXT BOOK

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:42 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Source: unca20091007.htm
I've been promising for a while--"rather sooner than later" was,
if I recall, the slogan--a new book. It will be completed this week, and be shipped off to Bill Schaeffer at SUBTERRANEAN PRESS. It is titled A FISHHEAD IN ASPIC, and will both visually and narratively put cats among pigeons.

A FISHHEAD IN ASPIC from Harlan Ellison and EDGEWORKS ABBEY, in alliance with Subterranean Press. We think you will like it.

Smiling, Dat Ole Debbil Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

MY NEXT BOOK

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:42 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Source: unca20091009.htm
I've been promising for a while--"rather sooner than later" was,
if I recall, the slogan--a new book. It will be completed this week, and be shipped off to Bill Schaeffer at SUBTERRANEAN PRESS. It is titled A FISHHEAD IN ASPIC, and will both visually and narratively put cats among pigeons.

A FISHHEAD IN ASPIC from Harlan Ellison and EDGEWORKS ABBEY, in alliance with Subterranean Press. We think you will like it.

Smiling, Dat Ole Debbil Harlan

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:17 pm

Name: Brian Siano
A new Harlan Ellison book? _YEE-HAW!_

I _knew_ life was worth living!

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:17 pm

Name: Brian Siano
A new Harlan Ellison book? _YEE-HAW!_

I _knew_ life was worth living!

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:51 pm

Name: Rick Wyatt
Tickled pink to see both the announcement from Harlan AND a post from Peter David. I've always admired PAD for his amazingly warm, gleeful, and dead-on sense of humor.

I wanted to point out to anyone who hasn't noticed how clear and powerful Roger Ebert's writing has gotten since he lost his voice, and what a pleasure it has been lately to read his reviews and other thoughts. His latest review of the GI JOE movie is a screamer:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... /908079997

I do not check out many websites regularly other than a couple of webcomics (sluggy freelance and pvp, and I save qwantz.com and Achewood for when I really need them. Of course, nothing will ever be as good as Perry Bible Fellowship (http://pbfcomics.com/) was). But I've added Ebert to my list.

Rick

Postby Rick » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:51 pm

Name: Rick Wyatt
Tickled pink to see both the announcement from Harlan AND a post from Peter David. I've always admired PAD for his amazingly warm, gleeful, and dead-on sense of humor.

I wanted to point out to anyone who hasn't noticed how clear and powerful Roger Ebert's writing has gotten since he lost his voice, and what a pleasure it has been lately to read his reviews and other thoughts. His latest review of the GI JOE movie is a screamer:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... /908079997

I do not check out many websites regularly other than a couple of webcomics (sluggy freelance and pvp, and I save qwantz.com and Achewood for when I really need them. Of course, nothing will ever be as good as Perry Bible Fellowship (http://pbfcomics.com/) was). But I've added Ebert to my list.

Samuel John Klein

Printers Devil Bedevils Printer

Postby Samuel John Klein » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:21 pm

Name: Samuel John Klein
New fargin' book! Life could be better, but I don't see how.

Multnomah County library is sadly bereft of much Harlan Ellison. I shall drop hints in the appropriate quarters.

RICK WYATT: I adore Ebert's writing. Sharp, witty, thoughtful. Reminds me of Ellison. Did you know he's the first (and so far as I know only) movie reviewer ever to win a Pultizer? My favorite Ebert writing ever come in two bits:

1) His review of "Mad Dog Time". His most famous review, of course, was for the film "North", where he "hated, hated, hated, hated" thatt movie, but "Mad Dog Time"'s is better because it's more quietly sarcastic. It begins with the declaration that watching the film does not improve on the prospect of staring at a blank screen for the same length of time, and ends with the condemnation that it should be cut up into free ukulele picks for the poor.

2) An essay on a visit with David Mamet. If you've seen one Mamet play or movie, you know it; it's the tempo, that staccato tempo, that is the Mamet signature. Well, that, and the unrelenting swearing. He wrote the visit, completely riffing on Mamet's staccato, note-perfect. No swearing, though.

God, I miss the Perry Bible Fellowship too. I engaged in an extended period of mourning when the artist ended that glorious bit of weekly surrealism. Readers of The Portland Mercury kept hounding the 'pape to bring PBF back, and it took several reminders (each less gentle than the last) to the readership to bear off.

We Portlanders are freaking AWESOME that way!

Samuel John Klein

Printers Devil Bedevils Printer

Postby Samuel John Klein » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:21 pm

Name: Samuel John Klein
New fargin' book! Life could be better, but I don't see how.

Multnomah County library is sadly bereft of much Harlan Ellison. I shall drop hints in the appropriate quarters.

RICK WYATT: I adore Ebert's writing. Sharp, witty, thoughtful. Reminds me of Ellison. Did you know he's the first (and so far as I know only) movie reviewer ever to win a Pultizer? My favorite Ebert writing ever come in two bits:

1) His review of "Mad Dog Time". His most famous review, of course, was for the film "North", where he "hated, hated, hated, hated" thatt movie, but "Mad Dog Time"'s is better because it's more quietly sarcastic. It begins with the declaration that watching the film does not improve on the prospect of staring at a blank screen for the same length of time, and ends with the condemnation that it should be cut up into free ukulele picks for the poor.

2) An essay on a visit with David Mamet. If you've seen one Mamet play or movie, you know it; it's the tempo, that staccato tempo, that is the Mamet signature. Well, that, and the unrelenting swearing. He wrote the visit, completely riffing on Mamet's staccato, note-perfect. No swearing, though.

God, I miss the Perry Bible Fellowship too. I engaged in an extended period of mourning when the artist ended that glorious bit of weekly surrealism. Readers of The Portland Mercury kept hounding the 'pape to bring PBF back, and it took several reminders (each less gentle than the last) to the readership to bear off.

We Portlanders are freaking AWESOME that way!

Richard Halasz

A FISHHEAD IN ASPIC

Postby Richard Halasz » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:11 pm

Name: Richard Halasz
Ahhh...A New Ellison Book!

Chompin' at the bit, eyes glazed, scratchin' like an addict.

Great news.

Thanks!

Richard Halasz

Richard Halasz

A FISHHEAD IN ASPIC

Postby Richard Halasz » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:11 pm

Name: Richard Halasz
Ahhh...A New Ellison Book!

Chompin' at the bit, eyes glazed, scratchin' like an addict.

Great news.

Thanks!

Richard Halasz

robochrist

Myth and Reality

Postby robochrist » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:03 am

Name: Rob
An incredibly intriguing piece of early film history:

Is anyone here aware that the first movie ever made about the Confederate outlaw Jesse James was in 1921?

Its title was 'Jesse James Under the Black Flag'.

Is anyone here aware that the star of this silent flick playing the title role was...

the real-life son of Jesse James!

Jesse Edwards James portrayed his own father in this bit, and a second later that year, 'Jesse James as the Outlaw'. Apparently, his own sister appeared in the movies as well.

At the age of 7, he was an eyewitness to the legendary assassination of his father in 1882. He ran into the room just after the shot rang out from Bob Ford's pistol, and saw his father lying on the floor in a pool of blood.

Jesse E. James would go on to become a lawyer in Los Angeles. He lived till 1951.

His sister, Mary James Barr, died in 1935.

Those two silents exist, and they're available! I'm definitely going to hunt them out!

TCM may have run them at some point.

robochrist

Myth and Reality

Postby robochrist » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:03 am

Name: Rob
An incredibly intriguing piece of early film history:

Is anyone here aware that the first movie ever made about the Confederate outlaw Jesse James was in 1921?

Its title was 'Jesse James Under the Black Flag'.

Is anyone here aware that the star of this silent flick playing the title role was...

the real-life son of Jesse James!

Jesse Edwards James portrayed his own father in this bit, and a second later that year, 'Jesse James as the Outlaw'. Apparently, his own sister appeared in the movies as well.

At the age of 7, he was an eyewitness to the legendary assassination of his father in 1882. He ran into the room just after the shot rang out from Bob Ford's pistol, and saw his father lying on the floor in a pool of blood.

Jesse E. James would go on to become a lawyer in Los Angeles. He lived till 1951.

His sister, Mary James Barr, died in 1935.

Those two silents exist, and they're available! I'm definitely going to hunt them out!

TCM may have run them at some point.

johnp52

A Fishead in Aspic

Postby johnp52 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:57 am

Name: John Pickett
Susan Get Well Soon!
WOOO HOOO Harlan does a Cookbook! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!
In a lighter note I heard a rumor that the Nebula Awards may be in Hollywood,Florida next year! Great news though I have not lived there in 35 plus years better late then never!

johnp52

A Fishead in Aspic

Postby johnp52 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:57 am

Name: John Pickett
Susan Get Well Soon!
WOOO HOOO Harlan does a Cookbook! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!
In a lighter note I heard a rumor that the Nebula Awards may be in Hollywood,Florida next year! Great news though I have not lived there in 35 plus years better late then never!

remarck

A Fishhead in Aspic

Postby remarck » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:11 am

Name: Keith Cramer
Harlan,

Great title, as usual. I'm sure I'm going to be blown away by this one. Are you planning any launch parties? I want to be there!

All,

I've been in Boston since Thursday for work (leaving today), and on Friday, a cool spring-like day with crisp air, went for a walk at lunch and found myself at Commonwealth Books, a store I've never been in before, but one which I have passed as a passenger in countless cab rids over the last 13 years. (Commonwealth Books is moving at the end of the month, by the way, to Downtown Crossing...not far). Anyway, the first thing that caught my eye when I went in was on the bottom display case under the cash register...an original, signed copy of Asimov's "I, Robot," resplendent with deep red cover. A beauty. $6500. I'm leaving Boston today. I'm thinking, if it's still there at lunch, I'm gonna get it. Should I get it? I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

-Keith

R.I.P Eunice Kennedy Shriver

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”