Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Robert Ross

Postby Robert Ross » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:18 am

Name: Robert Ross
Source: unca20091007.htm
MARK GOLDBERG: I don't have the words.

I can only say, you are not alone; and your mother is not alone.

Robert Ross

Postby Robert Ross » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:18 am

Name: Robert Ross
Source: unca20091009.htm
MARK GOLDBERG: I don't have the words.

I can only say, you are not alone; and your mother is not alone.

Samuel John Klein

Susan Getting Better, &c

Postby Samuel John Klein » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:44 am

Name: Samuel John Klein
SUSAN: I'm pretty sure that I speak for a lot people here when I say thanks to the fact that its just a throat thing and it looks like you'll be on the healing leg from here on out. I've not been here for long, and it's a genuine thrill to at least be able to reflect goodwill back your way. The output of Elllison Wonderland has given me much intellectual joy over the years.

In general, it's a combination of joy and travail around here. Personally, I'm encouraged by the courage, poise, and dignity I see most visitors around here face amazing obstacles with. You guys are more than just people I enjoy reading, you're people who one could consider as role models in that way. Just decent human beings.

On the bright side, I did locate copies of SHATTERDAY, THE GLASS TEAT, and CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER today. Now I've fully left the realm of Harlan I have read and entered Harlan I've not read before. It's glorious. It's also all been a apparently, a plot to get me to read more than just SF; calling Harlan an just an SF writer is kind of faint praise. There's so much more there, and if you just limit it to SF, you're really missing out.

Harlan went on Gooberner Reagan's "enemies list" for writing TV criticism? Crazy. What did RR use to write the list a crayon? Leave it to a Republican: the party of cynicsm and petty retribution.

Samuel John Klein

Susan Getting Better, &c

Postby Samuel John Klein » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:44 am

Name: Samuel John Klein
SUSAN: I'm pretty sure that I speak for a lot people here when I say thanks to the fact that its just a throat thing and it looks like you'll be on the healing leg from here on out. I've not been here for long, and it's a genuine thrill to at least be able to reflect goodwill back your way. The output of Elllison Wonderland has given me much intellectual joy over the years.

In general, it's a combination of joy and travail around here. Personally, I'm encouraged by the courage, poise, and dignity I see most visitors around here face amazing obstacles with. You guys are more than just people I enjoy reading, you're people who one could consider as role models in that way. Just decent human beings.

On the bright side, I did locate copies of SHATTERDAY, THE GLASS TEAT, and CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER today. Now I've fully left the realm of Harlan I have read and entered Harlan I've not read before. It's glorious. It's also all been a apparently, a plot to get me to read more than just SF; calling Harlan an just an SF writer is kind of faint praise. There's so much more there, and if you just limit it to SF, you're really missing out.

Harlan went on Gooberner Reagan's "enemies list" for writing TV criticism? Crazy. What did RR use to write the list a crayon? Leave it to a Republican: the party of cynicsm and petty retribution.

MichaelRapoport

Postby MichaelRapoport » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:29 am

Name: Michael Rapoport
Mark Goldberg: My deepest sympathies. You know by now, I hope, that you are in the thoughts and have the best wishes of everyone here.

All: This is one of the best articles I've read about the insane "debate" over health care reform, and well worth your attention:

http://www.cjr.org/campaign_desk/now_do ... p?page=all

MichaelRapoport

Postby MichaelRapoport » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:29 am

Name: Michael Rapoport
Mark Goldberg: My deepest sympathies. You know by now, I hope, that you are in the thoughts and have the best wishes of everyone here.

All: This is one of the best articles I've read about the insane "debate" over health care reform, and well worth your attention:

http://www.cjr.org/campaign_desk/now_do ... p?page=all

Sara Slaymaker

HARLAN:

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:33 am

Name: Sara Slaymaker
Yahoo! A new book! I will be waiting with a worm on my tongue (think about it...) for its release.

Susan: So glad to hear that you're getting better. The cough is the worst. Hope it gets lost real soon.

ATC: Very glad to hear about your dad!

Mark: I am so sorry. Sending massive amounts of strength and positive vibes to you.

And sending positive vibes to all the rest of youse guys who could use it. I'm saving all my negative vibes for the idiots who shout their uninformed opinions at the top of their lungs at the so-called "town meetings".

And by the way, Rachel Maddow and others have been doing a fabulous job of exposing the ringers who have been sowing misinformation at said town meetings, like the head of the state Republican party who portrayed herself as "just a concerned mom who lives down the street".

I am currently escaping my emotionally complicated life by spending the week with my mother, her husband, my brother, his wife, their two young boys, my daughter and her husband, and two large dogs - all in a 1200 square foot cottage, with two horses in the backyard. It's crowded, chaotic, and absolutely wonderful.

Good thoughts to all. Hang in there.

Sara Slaymaker

HARLAN:

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:33 am

Name: Sara Slaymaker
Yahoo! A new book! I will be waiting with a worm on my tongue (think about it...) for its release.

Susan: So glad to hear that you're getting better. The cough is the worst. Hope it gets lost real soon.

ATC: Very glad to hear about your dad!

Mark: I am so sorry. Sending massive amounts of strength and positive vibes to you.

And sending positive vibes to all the rest of youse guys who could use it. I'm saving all my negative vibes for the idiots who shout their uninformed opinions at the top of their lungs at the so-called "town meetings".

And by the way, Rachel Maddow and others have been doing a fabulous job of exposing the ringers who have been sowing misinformation at said town meetings, like the head of the state Republican party who portrayed herself as "just a concerned mom who lives down the street".

I am currently escaping my emotionally complicated life by spending the week with my mother, her husband, my brother, his wife, their two young boys, my daughter and her husband, and two large dogs - all in a 1200 square foot cottage, with two horses in the backyard. It's crowded, chaotic, and absolutely wonderful.

Good thoughts to all. Hang in there.

Adam-Troy

Various

Postby Adam-Troy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:37 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Mark: Courage. Dammit.

Hey, here's an idea.

Let's call them what they really are.

The ones who, like Orly Taitz, claim that Barack Obama was not born in the US and that his Presidency is therefore void...the ones who, like Glenn Beck, insist that he's building internment camps...the ones who, like Rush Limbaugh, say that he's just like Hitler...

...doesn't it strike you that what they're really saying is something else?

They're hinting, "Will no one rid us of this troublesome priest?"

So let's be honest.

They're not Birthers. They're not even Truthers.

They're Boothers.

Adam-Troy

Various

Postby Adam-Troy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:37 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Mark: Courage. Dammit.

Hey, here's an idea.

Let's call them what they really are.

The ones who, like Orly Taitz, claim that Barack Obama was not born in the US and that his Presidency is therefore void...the ones who, like Glenn Beck, insist that he's building internment camps...the ones who, like Rush Limbaugh, say that he's just like Hitler...

...doesn't it strike you that what they're really saying is something else?

They're hinting, "Will no one rid us of this troublesome priest?"

So let's be honest.

They're not Birthers. They're not even Truthers.

They're Boothers.

Alex Jay Berman

Postby Alex Jay Berman » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:49 am

Name: Alex Jay Berman
MARK GOLDBERG: Strength, friend. It's the one thing we all go through, and the one thing we fear the most. Take with you your love when you see her, and your gratitude for all she's done for you, and that will help.

HARLAN: Not to go all Return of the Mumy on you, but:
"Fish-head! Fish-head!
Harlan's new book Fish-head!
Fish-Head! Fish-head!
Read it soon, yum!"

And, having stuck THAT earworm in all of your lobes, let me say how happy I am to see a new book make it onto the stage that ISN'T another "Why Obama Hates America and my Granny and Wants to Execute Them Both" coprophagic repast or another "How I Got Famous for Acting Stupid and Why it Empowers Me to Tell You How to Live" taintshow.

SUSAN: DO please continue the improvement.

ALL: The countdown's on: Just sixteen more days, and I will have the temporary title of "Bridegroom", and the more permanent, official title of "Husband".
Am I nervous? Nope. Skittish? Nope. Scared? HELL, no. Anxious? Somewhat. Anticipatory? AWWWWW yeah.

Alex Jay Berman

Postby Alex Jay Berman » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:49 am

Name: Alex Jay Berman
MARK GOLDBERG: Strength, friend. It's the one thing we all go through, and the one thing we fear the most. Take with you your love when you see her, and your gratitude for all she's done for you, and that will help.

HARLAN: Not to go all Return of the Mumy on you, but:
"Fish-head! Fish-head!
Harlan's new book Fish-head!
Fish-Head! Fish-head!
Read it soon, yum!"

And, having stuck THAT earworm in all of your lobes, let me say how happy I am to see a new book make it onto the stage that ISN'T another "Why Obama Hates America and my Granny and Wants to Execute Them Both" coprophagic repast or another "How I Got Famous for Acting Stupid and Why it Empowers Me to Tell You How to Live" taintshow.

SUSAN: DO please continue the improvement.

ALL: The countdown's on: Just sixteen more days, and I will have the temporary title of "Bridegroom", and the more permanent, official title of "Husband".
Am I nervous? Nope. Skittish? Nope. Scared? HELL, no. Anxious? Somewhat. Anticipatory? AWWWWW yeah.

Robert Morales

Good art is always remarkable, but still ...

Postby Robert Morales » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:58 am

Name: Robert Morales
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=518XP8prwZo

Robert Morales

Good art is always remarkable, but still ...

Postby Robert Morales » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:58 am

Name: Robert Morales
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=518XP8prwZo

Gary Lee

Postby Gary Lee » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:12 am

Name: Gary Lee
MARK GOLDBERG

Very sorry about your mother, my mother just turned 90 and she is still doing very well, but I also know that the time will come when we I will have to deal with her leaving. Ive tried to plan for that day but I know that nothing can really prepare a person for a lost like that.
The best that I can say is that we all must someday take that journey so think of all the wonderful times you had with her and your heart will lead the way.

Gary

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”