Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Jarod Hitchcock

A FISH-HEAD IN ASPIC COVER ART

Postby Jarod Hitchcock » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:15 pm

Name: Jarod Hitchcock
Source: unca20091007.htm
Harlan,

The cover art should represent the author, This piece is Bold, In your face, uncompromising & intended to rattle a few cages.

Remind you of Anyone?

Best To All
Jarod Hitchcock

Jarod Hitchcock

A FISH-HEAD IN ASPIC COVER ART

Postby Jarod Hitchcock » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:15 pm

Name: Jarod Hitchcock
Source: unca20091009.htm
Harlan,

The cover art should represent the author, This piece is Bold, In your face, uncompromising & intended to rattle a few cages.

Remind you of Anyone?

Best To All
Jarod Hitchcock

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Name: Douglas Harrison

And I meant the term broadly.

Sorry fer that.

D.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Sorry fer that.

D.

Douglas Harrison

"FASCISTS," NOT "FACISTS"

Postby Douglas Harrison » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:24 pm

Sorry fer that.

D.

Douglas Harrison

"FASCISTS," NOT "FACISTS"

Postby Douglas Harrison » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:24 pm

Sorry fer that.

D.

biglou

The Cover

Postby biglou » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:26 pm

Name: Lou Valenti
Harlan,

You have a pretty fair country batting average when choosing book titles and covers. If not now, when? Youve waited (drooling) for six years run it.

I think we need a little more danger at this juncture in time, not less.

I cant wait to read it. Good Luck!

Lou V.

biglou

The Cover

Postby biglou » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:26 pm

Name: Lou Valenti
Harlan,

You have a pretty fair country batting average when choosing book titles and covers. If not now, when? Youve waited (drooling) for six years run it.

I think we need a little more danger at this juncture in time, not less.

I cant wait to read it. Good Luck!

Lou V.

Michael Mayhew

book cover art

Postby Michael Mayhew » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:44 pm

Name: Michael Mayhew
It's strong. Keep it. The juxtaposition of the headless nazi and the words "fish-head" is strong medicine and it makes me want to pick it up and find out what the hell it's about.

I'm not offended, but even if I were I think that the "the only bad publicity is no publicity" rule covers that. Run with it.

And please-o-please some hints as to what's between the covers.

MARK - please accept my condolences on the absolute crap hand that the universe has dealt you and your family. I get what you're going through. Don't know if good thoughts do much of anything to help, but I send them none the less.

Michael Mayhew

book cover art

Postby Michael Mayhew » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:44 pm

Name: Michael Mayhew
It's strong. Keep it. The juxtaposition of the headless nazi and the words "fish-head" is strong medicine and it makes me want to pick it up and find out what the hell it's about.

I'm not offended, but even if I were I think that the "the only bad publicity is no publicity" rule covers that. Run with it.

And please-o-please some hints as to what's between the covers.

MARK - please accept my condolences on the absolute crap hand that the universe has dealt you and your family. I get what you're going through. Don't know if good thoughts do much of anything to help, but I send them none the less.

BrianSiano

Too dangerous?

Postby BrianSiano » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:45 pm

Name: Brian Siano
Geez, Harlan, do you really want me to say that it's "not too dangerous?" Because it _is_ dangerous, and isn't that what you're known for? Isn't that what you _want_?

(It'd also make a great cover for Roberto Bolano's _Nazi Literature in the Americas_, and thank gahd that they didn't use it so you could.)

I'll assume that the painting reflects something in the book. But it's a good choice. It's a striking image. It's bold and attention-getting and shocking for the flag, swastika, and uniform. People will be shocked at the first glance, and that turns away the idiots, because the more thoughtful of us will note the _emptiness_ of the suit. And we'll try to reconcile the image with the title, which echoes the great Flann O'Brien.

The more I think about this, the more I like it. Especially if your publishers can position you to the audiences who read Bolano, O'Brien, Dave Eggers and Michael Chabon. I know, the SF and fantasy audiences know your name, and will buy the book... but this nifty cover combination could prise you into a new realm.

Do it.

BrianSiano

Too dangerous?

Postby BrianSiano » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:45 pm

Name: Brian Siano
Geez, Harlan, do you really want me to say that it's "not too dangerous?" Because it _is_ dangerous, and isn't that what you're known for? Isn't that what you _want_?

(It'd also make a great cover for Roberto Bolano's _Nazi Literature in the Americas_, and thank gahd that they didn't use it so you could.)

I'll assume that the painting reflects something in the book. But it's a good choice. It's a striking image. It's bold and attention-getting and shocking for the flag, swastika, and uniform. People will be shocked at the first glance, and that turns away the idiots, because the more thoughtful of us will note the _emptiness_ of the suit. And we'll try to reconcile the image with the title, which echoes the great Flann O'Brien.

The more I think about this, the more I like it. Especially if your publishers can position you to the audiences who read Bolano, O'Brien, Dave Eggers and Michael Chabon. I know, the SF and fantasy audiences know your name, and will buy the book... but this nifty cover combination could prise you into a new realm.

Do it.

DTS

Fish-Head art

Postby DTS » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:21 pm

Name: DTS
HARLAN: Dynamite art. Dyno-mite. One of those images that is both revolting but hard to turn away from. I'd have to pick up the book to see what it was all about.

CRAMER: You're kidding right (about Harlan's face being put there)?
-DTS

DTS

Fish-Head art

Postby DTS » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:21 pm

Name: DTS
HARLAN: Dynamite art. Dyno-mite. One of those images that is both revolting but hard to turn away from. I'd have to pick up the book to see what it was all about.

CRAMER: You're kidding right (about Harlan's face being put there)?
-DTS

Voice of Reason

Postby Voice of Reason » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:04 pm

Name: Voice of Reason
The cover art: bad idea jeans. You want to sell books. Find something better...like maybe a fish-head in aspic, which would be a lot more interesting.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”