Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Dennis C

Remakes

Postby Dennis C » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:26 am

Name: Dennis C
Source: unca20091007.htm
OK, more remakes.
Today I read that Robert Zemeckis will remake YELLOW SUBMARINE. Now SUBMARINE is only a vague memory from my childhood, but it sure seems like it was so 'of its time' that it would be stupid to attempt it. But I guess there's cash in them there Beatles today.

And yesterday I read they're remaking OUTLAND (a movie about which Harlan had some tasty things to say back in the day). OUTLAND???? They must really be desperate. Next it'll be SATURN 3...

Dennis C

Remakes

Postby Dennis C » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:26 am

Name: Dennis C
Source: unca20091009.htm
OK, more remakes.
Today I read that Robert Zemeckis will remake YELLOW SUBMARINE. Now SUBMARINE is only a vague memory from my childhood, but it sure seems like it was so 'of its time' that it would be stupid to attempt it. But I guess there's cash in them there Beatles today.

And yesterday I read they're remaking OUTLAND (a movie about which Harlan had some tasty things to say back in the day). OUTLAND???? They must really be desperate. Next it'll be SATURN 3...

David Silver

TOMY toy

Postby David Silver » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:59 am

Name: David Silver
Harlan, I can probably fix it for you. Send it to me if you still have my address at hand. You or Susan can call me if you don't. And if you don't have my telephone number there anymore (shame on you...where's the love?!), yell here and I'll give it to you, or tell me when to call you, or I could send the required information to Rick. Whatever! Honestly, fixing water toys is a lot simpler than fixing that mechanical Hulk toy I did for you a few months ago. It just takes a bit more patience.

David

David Silver

TOMY toy

Postby David Silver » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:59 am

Harlan, I can probably fix it for you. Send it to me if you still have my address at hand. You or Susan can call me if you don't. And if you don't have my telephone number there anymore (shame on you...where's the love?!), yell here and I'll give it to you, or tell me when to call you, or I could send the required information to Rick. Whatever! Honestly, fixing water toys is a lot simpler than fixing that mechanical Hulk toy I did for you a few months ago. It just takes a bit more patience.

David

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:19 am

Name: Frank Church
Harlan's childhood angst gave me a chuckle. It reminded me of that scene in AI, where the Teddy Bear said drolly, "I am not a toy."

Susan has a Teddy. Wink.

--------------

Barney Frank is the anti-liferoach. At his town hall, some lady talked about Obama's "nazi-care." It's obvious that Jonah Goldberg's book Liberal Fascism is the bellweather to this crazytalk. Frank didn't bite his tongue: "arguing with you is like arguing with a dining room table.

Very Ellisonesque.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:19 am

Name: Frank Church
Harlan's childhood angst gave me a chuckle. It reminded me of that scene in AI, where the Teddy Bear said drolly, "I am not a toy."

Susan has a Teddy. Wink.

--------------

Barney Frank is the anti-liferoach. At his town hall, some lady talked about Obama's "nazi-care." It's obvious that Jonah Goldberg's book Liberal Fascism is the bellweather to this crazytalk. Frank didn't bite his tongue: "arguing with you is like arguing with a dining room table.

Very Ellisonesque.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

MY TOY

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:11 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
DAVID SILVER: It's in the mail, on the way to you.

Please remember two things:

1) The hard rubber cap is old and cracks and breaks if you try to dislodge it.

2) As pointed out, that ain't just water in there.

As always, you d'Man; and I thank you in advance.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

MY TOY

Postby Harlan Ellison » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:11 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
DAVID SILVER: It's in the mail, on the way to you.

Please remember two things:

1) The hard rubber cap is old and cracks and breaks if you try to dislodge it.

2) As pointed out, that ain't just water in there.

As always, you d'Man; and I thank you in advance.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

David Silver

TOMY water toy

Postby David Silver » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:55 pm

Hey Harlan, understood. Been there, done that, so I'm already familiar with the latent problems of these sorts of toys. The water actually needs more than just a detergent, it requires a dose of a suds free bleach and detergent combination. As for the cap, well, that's a secret. Allow me my magic...

Life is a bit too "interesting" this month, time has been a more precious commodity than usual, but I'll try to jump on this as soon as the package arrives.

Take care,

David

David Silver

TOMY water toy

Postby David Silver » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:55 pm

Hey Harlan, understood. Been there, done that, so I'm already familiar with the latent problems of these sorts of toys. The water actually needs more than just a detergent, it requires a dose of a suds free bleach and detergent combination. As for the cap, well, that's a secret. Allow me my magic...

Life is a bit too "interesting" this month, time has been a more precious commodity than usual, but I'll try to jump on this as soon as the package arrives.

Take care,

David

Kate

Postby Kate » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:57 pm

Name: Kate
Mr. Barber wrote: "Kate, Tony - You both seem to be precisely the sort of Republicans I hold responsible for not condemning the fringe elements of your party. Coulter, Limbaugh, Gingrich, Cheney.

Are hatred, division, lying, anger, disruption and intolerance really Republican values? You'd think so from watching these folks.

Democrats can't do this, it must come from your own ranks. You're both seemingly thoughtful individuals and I respect your difference of opinion on issues.

But the public face of your party has become quite ugly and anti-American of late. It's more about party than participation, and in the history books this has always, every time, lead to disaster. Both for the party and usually for the country they represent. Never, ever, has lock-step obstructionism worked, and preaching hatred from the political pulpit has had even worse results. Particularly for the opposition.

But, as I note, WE can't do it for you. Reasoned debate and reasoned disagreement are the foundation of our country.

Intolerance is not.

Yes. I'm on a soapbox. I'm done with playing nice."

Mr. Barber, I wrote a post about my own belief in following the 10 Commandments, and didn't get into the political scene. Frankly, I pretty much stay away from it on this board as I don't find it all that much fun to get into arguments or accusatory postings.

I find some of the political posts on this board off-base -- but people are entitled to their opinions if they wish to express them. Just as I have the right to ignore them or take issue with them. Generally, I just ignore them as that is not really what brings me to the Ellison website. (What was it? Oh yes... now I remember... the books!)

As far as holding ME responsible for what you consider the fringe elements of the Republican Party, perhaps you may wish to look at the fringe elements of your own party and ask who is responsible for governing them. There are wackos on both sides -- however, I generally don't hold YOU responsible for keeping them in check. Do you keep them in check? And in what particular instances have you, yourself, done that?

Interesting that for every well-thought out argument the most intelligent liberal commentator can offer, there will be a well-thought out rebuttal from an equally intelligent conservative who does not agree with that particular point of view. I'm talking dialogue -- not screaming -- the sort of screaming done by the fringe elements of BOTH parties in the past and in the present. It boils down to different philosophies that can only be made palatable through well-considered compromise. How do you get people to be rational and consider compromise? Well, BOTH parties could start by not appealing to the baser emotions of their adherents. Fat chance that will happen.

I see very little compromise in Washington -- on either side of the political "fence."

I use my voice just as you use your own: when I cast my vote. And when I write my representatives -- and the President of the United States. Which I do -- whenever something is of great importance to me. Which has been often over the past several years.

Okay, that's enough from me. I really have no quarrel with you (or with any of you with opposing political viewpoints who will now post about my lack of civic duty), but I was surprised to be taken to task with the responsibility for the entire Republican Party on the basis of a post about the 10 Commandments.

Like you, I try very hard to live my life as honorably and kindly as I can. I have enough trouble keeping myself true to my conscience without having to parent others in my party or any other.

Look, I don't mean to be a pain in the ass... but your singling me out for responsibility for the actions of various groups within the Republican Party was... just too much.

Kate

Postby Kate » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:57 pm

Name: Kate
Mr. Barber wrote: "Kate, Tony - You both seem to be precisely the sort of Republicans I hold responsible for not condemning the fringe elements of your party. Coulter, Limbaugh, Gingrich, Cheney.

Are hatred, division, lying, anger, disruption and intolerance really Republican values? You'd think so from watching these folks.

Democrats can't do this, it must come from your own ranks. You're both seemingly thoughtful individuals and I respect your difference of opinion on issues.

But the public face of your party has become quite ugly and anti-American of late. It's more about party than participation, and in the history books this has always, every time, lead to disaster. Both for the party and usually for the country they represent. Never, ever, has lock-step obstructionism worked, and preaching hatred from the political pulpit has had even worse results. Particularly for the opposition.

But, as I note, WE can't do it for you. Reasoned debate and reasoned disagreement are the foundation of our country.

Intolerance is not.

Yes. I'm on a soapbox. I'm done with playing nice."

Mr. Barber, I wrote a post about my own belief in following the 10 Commandments, and didn't get into the political scene. Frankly, I pretty much stay away from it on this board as I don't find it all that much fun to get into arguments or accusatory postings.

I find some of the political posts on this board off-base -- but people are entitled to their opinions if they wish to express them. Just as I have the right to ignore them or take issue with them. Generally, I just ignore them as that is not really what brings me to the Ellison website. (What was it? Oh yes... now I remember... the books!)

As far as holding ME responsible for what you consider the fringe elements of the Republican Party, perhaps you may wish to look at the fringe elements of your own party and ask who is responsible for governing them. There are wackos on both sides -- however, I generally don't hold YOU responsible for keeping them in check. Do you keep them in check? And in what particular instances have you, yourself, done that?

Interesting that for every well-thought out argument the most intelligent liberal commentator can offer, there will be a well-thought out rebuttal from an equally intelligent conservative who does not agree with that particular point of view. I'm talking dialogue -- not screaming -- the sort of screaming done by the fringe elements of BOTH parties in the past and in the present. It boils down to different philosophies that can only be made palatable through well-considered compromise. How do you get people to be rational and consider compromise? Well, BOTH parties could start by not appealing to the baser emotions of their adherents. Fat chance that will happen.

I see very little compromise in Washington -- on either side of the political "fence."

I use my voice just as you use your own: when I cast my vote. And when I write my representatives -- and the President of the United States. Which I do -- whenever something is of great importance to me. Which has been often over the past several years.

Okay, that's enough from me. I really have no quarrel with you (or with any of you with opposing political viewpoints who will now post about my lack of civic duty), but I was surprised to be taken to task with the responsibility for the entire Republican Party on the basis of a post about the 10 Commandments.

Like you, I try very hard to live my life as honorably and kindly as I can. I have enough trouble keeping myself true to my conscience without having to parent others in my party or any other.

Look, I don't mean to be a pain in the ass... but your singling me out for responsibility for the actions of various groups within the Republican Party was... just too much.

Rod Williams

Toys...VANISHING POINT

Postby Rod Williams » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:30 pm

Name: Rod Williams
Speaking of toys...I've just started collecting diecast models. One item I found was the Dodge Challenger R/T 1970 from VANISHING POINT:

http://www.fastlane2000.com/TV-movie/ert29019m.html

Cheers
Rod

Rod Williams

Toys...VANISHING POINT

Postby Rod Williams » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:30 pm

Name: Rod Williams
Speaking of toys...I've just started collecting diecast models. One item I found was the Dodge Challenger R/T 1970 from VANISHING POINT:

http://www.fastlane2000.com/TV-movie/ert29019m.html

Cheers
Rod

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:08 pm

Name: Diane Bartels
Gee, I haven't been around in a while. Well, here I am now. I am at the Community College where I hope to take classes in a week or two. Provided no one elso rearends me, my health continues okay, and Dorothy and Toto don't land their house on my head.
I am very happy to hear a new book is coming out soon. Susan, hope you continue to improve. If you can do Vitamin C, I always stock up on the stuff. And tea. Regular Lipton, and also stuff with lemon balm and cammomile.
Robert Ross, you have been in my thoughts and prayers right along. You will continue to be so. Stay strong.
Mark, sorry for the news about your mom. May the Spirit of the Universe surround you and your family with comfort and love. Don't have internet at my house yet, but when I do in a week or two, please let me know how I can help.
Mary, congratualations on the job.
Very thought-provoking commentary on the health insurance thing. I just know it took me forever and a day to get Medicaid, despite my injuries. And the rules and regulations are stupid. Stupid. There's my rant for the day.
Someone asked if the characters in a book or story ever take the author somewhere she did not intend to go. I am not published, except in my college literary magazine. (I have a box and a half in my closet, should any of you want a copy.) But yes, my people often do the most surprising things, things I do not expect at all. Beats me how or why.
Cindy, I saw my mom the day she died. I had been in the hospital sitting with her for a week, and I had finally gone home to rest, wash and change. I was at my parents' house reclining on the couch, but not at all asleep, when she was suddenly sitting across from me in the chair she sat in to do her crocheting. She looked just like her beautiful self, without the wear and tear of her illness. And she smile at me. Right around that time, she began the dying process. The nurse called a minute later. And I started back to the hospital. When I got there, my mom's relatives, said "You just missed her." But I hadn't. Like the lovely person and loving mom she was, she came to me to say goodbye. I was filled with peace and joy from that moment all through the wake and funeral. I believe too, my dear Cindy. Love ya.
Hang in there all. Love Diane

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”