Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:07 pm

Name: Rob
Source: unca20091007.htm
Rob is ALWAYS ready to unzip it and pull out that big heart!

ANY time. ANY ol'place!

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:07 pm

Name: Rob
Source: unca20091009.htm
Rob is ALWAYS ready to unzip it and pull out that big heart!

ANY time. ANY ol'place!

Susan Ellison

Postby Susan Ellison » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:19 pm

Name: SUSAN ELLISON
Dear Jesse:

Your math is just fine. Will hold the books for you.

Dear Steve: Will check on the DREAMS poster and let you know tomorrow.

All best--Susan

Susan Ellison

Postby Susan Ellison » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:19 pm

Name: SUSAN ELLISON
Dear Jesse:

Your math is just fine. Will hold the books for you.

Dear Steve: Will check on the DREAMS poster and let you know tomorrow.

All best--Susan

M Jacka

Ponyo

Postby M Jacka » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:37 pm

Name: Mike Jacka
To add a quick note to Ezras post. I saw this in a preview a week or so ago. I noticed a lot of small children and wondered how they would hold up. As Ezra indicates - all present (dhildren, teens, adults)were quietly mesmerized. The critics have pointed out some flaws, but do not let that hold you back. And I would suggest you catch it on a real screen while you can.

Mike

M Jacka

Ponyo

Postby M Jacka » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:37 pm

Name: Mike Jacka
To add a quick note to Ezras post. I saw this in a preview a week or so ago. I noticed a lot of small children and wondered how they would hold up. As Ezra indicates - all present (dhildren, teens, adults)were quietly mesmerized. The critics have pointed out some flaws, but do not let that hold you back. And I would suggest you catch it on a real screen while you can.

Mike

Gary Clark

Dreams With Sharp Teeth query

Postby Gary Clark » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:49 pm

Name: Gary Clark
Harlan - I loved Dreams With Sharp Teeth! It's a crime it wasn't shown in theaters across the U.S.
In the reading you did of "All the Lies That Are My life", as part of the dvd's "extras" material, you mention an author named Jim, and his wish to rid the science fiction monicker from his name. The only Jim or Jimmy I can think of from that time period was James Blish, and his wonderful Cities In Flight books. Was this who you were refering to? A picture of the author in question flashed on the screen behind you as you read, but I'm still drawing a blank.

Gary Clark

Dreams With Sharp Teeth query

Postby Gary Clark » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:49 pm

Name: Gary Clark
Harlan - I loved Dreams With Sharp Teeth! It's a crime it wasn't shown in theaters across the U.S.
In the reading you did of "All the Lies That Are My life", as part of the dvd's "extras" material, you mention an author named Jim, and his wish to rid the science fiction monicker from his name. The only Jim or Jimmy I can think of from that time period was James Blish, and his wonderful Cities In Flight books. Was this who you were refering to? A picture of the author in question flashed on the screen behind you as you read, but I'm still drawing a blank.

David Silver

Harlan, the TOMY toy is here...

Postby David Silver » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:09 pm

Name: David Silver
...but I'm afraid it was very much DOA. The remaining water had completely disgorged itself into the package, so good on you or Susan for thinking of wrapping it tightly in a plastic bag before shipping. The filling seal on top of the toy, which is normally a more soft pliable nature, is completely dessicated, and the only way to remove it will be to break it, but I do have a simple method for replacing such pieces. The more annoying issue is that the toy is clearly leaking somewhere from the pump end, and I'll have to find and seal that leak before anything else. Geez, you must have strong thumbs to wear that baby out! So this will take a little more magic than I had anticipated, but I'll get it done for you. I'm in the middle of restoring a very rare American wet plate camera from the Civil War era for a museum back east, which I should finish later this week, and then I'll work on your little puzzler.

Take care,

David

David Silver

Harlan, the TOMY toy is here...

Postby David Silver » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:09 pm

Name: David Silver
...but I'm afraid it was very much DOA. The remaining water had completely disgorged itself into the package, so good on you or Susan for thinking of wrapping it tightly in a plastic bag before shipping. The filling seal on top of the toy, which is normally a more soft pliable nature, is completely dessicated, and the only way to remove it will be to break it, but I do have a simple method for replacing such pieces. The more annoying issue is that the toy is clearly leaking somewhere from the pump end, and I'll have to find and seal that leak before anything else. Geez, you must have strong thumbs to wear that baby out! So this will take a little more magic than I had anticipated, but I'll get it done for you. I'm in the middle of restoring a very rare American wet plate camera from the Civil War era for a museum back east, which I should finish later this week, and then I'll work on your little puzzler.

Take care,

David

Sara Slaymaker

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Name: Sara Slaymaker
KEVIN KIRBY: If you need to replace the DVD, you can buy a used copy at half.com for $10 or so. Here's the link: http://product.half.ebay.com/The-City-o ... prZ3253589

SUSAN: I would also be extremely interested in buying a DWST poster to put up in the video store. Would Harlan maybe be willing to inscribe it for me? To Stowe Video...thanks!

Sara Slaymaker

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:25 pm

Name: Sara Slaymaker
KEVIN KIRBY: If you need to replace the DVD, you can buy a used copy at half.com for $10 or so. Here's the link: http://product.half.ebay.com/The-City-o ... prZ3253589

SUSAN: I would also be extremely interested in buying a DWST poster to put up in the video store. Would Harlan maybe be willing to inscribe it for me? To Stowe Video...thanks!

John Carmichael

Ellison v. CBS-Paramount re: City on the Edge of Forever...

Postby John Carmichael » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:29 pm

Name: John Carmichael
Dear Friends of Harlan,

This is John Carmichael, Harlan's attorney. Harlan and I are working hard to prepare our case against Paramount in relation to its licensing of City on the Edge of Forever related merchandise and publications. Paramount has never accounted to Harlan for any of this. We would like to know if YOU know of any City-related books, merchandise (which includes everything you can think of except DVD's) that Paramount has distributed in the last ten years or so. If you know of something before that, that's great too.

Go ahead and post information about the book or item right here in the Art Deco Dining Pavillion... If there's a link to it, wonderful. If not, please note the maker or publisher, the date, and any other info you might think helpful in order that we might run it down.... Even if you just remember the name of something but can't "find" it, let us know and we will do the leg work!

Thank you in advance for your assistance which will be much appreciated by Harlan!

Best,

/s/

John Carmichael

John Carmichael

Ellison v. CBS-Paramount re: City on the Edge of Forever...

Postby John Carmichael » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:29 pm

Name: John Carmichael
Dear Friends of Harlan,

This is John Carmichael, Harlan's attorney. Harlan and I are working hard to prepare our case against Paramount in relation to its licensing of City on the Edge of Forever related merchandise and publications. Paramount has never accounted to Harlan for any of this. We would like to know if YOU know of any City-related books, merchandise (which includes everything you can think of except DVD's) that Paramount has distributed in the last ten years or so. If you know of something before that, that's great too.

Go ahead and post information about the book or item right here in the Art Deco Dining Pavillion... If there's a link to it, wonderful. If not, please note the maker or publisher, the date, and any other info you might think helpful in order that we might run it down.... Even if you just remember the name of something but can't "find" it, let us know and we will do the leg work!

Thank you in advance for your assistance which will be much appreciated by Harlan!

Best,

/s/

John Carmichael

Dan Thorne

Postby Dan Thorne » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:54 pm

Name: Dan Thorne
John Carmichael,
Might I suggest the following? Go into Google and type in "City on the Edge of Forever Toys". I just did that and got numerous links for related action figures, a statue, and the ornament. A cursory review of the links shows that they ARE relevant collectibles associated with the episode. You may want to run variations on the word "toys" to find even more items. And possibly do this search every few weeks as more things appear on ebay. Hope this helps.

Dan

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”