Doctor Who in the U.S.A.

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Duane

Postby Duane » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:45 pm

Barber wrote:
Duane wrote:.....eatles?

(Well, yes, but I've never been one to leave a perfectly good opening go unused...)

I blew that one. I meant to type "...eeGees"!!

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:39 pm

Wow. And all these years I thought the Bee Gees were Australian.

But then, I only recently learned that the Young brothers of AC/Dc weren't born in Australia, either.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:06 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:David opined

Presumably for the same reason you didn't list a certain somewhat well known dramatist...

Christopher Marlow!

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:12 pm

Black Sabbath!

Deep Purple!

Judas Priest!

Iron Maiden!

Venom!

Motorhead!

And a further point of triva: the first Dirk Gently book was largely a reworking of two of Adams' earlier Dr. Who scripts, specifically "City of Death" and "Shada" (never aired). Check 'em out. They will feel very familiar.

NeonMosfet

Postby NeonMosfet » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:59 pm

As far as the good doctor's scarf is concerned, he created the classic paradox and unravelled it as his mummy finished knitting it.
Myopia Through Convexed Harlequins

paul

Postby paul » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:17 am

OKAY, it's time!! The U.S. season 2 two-hour finale is upon us! So i am crazy ape-crap excited; heard it was all that and more.
So, I cannot find the conversation that folks were posting (either here or on the Pavvy) about the dialog going on between the Cybermen and the Daleks. Specifically about it possibly being cut since commercials are more important than plot development.
Does anyone know where/when those postings took place? I just wanna refresh my memory....and see if any spoilers were tossed accidentally in the process. :twisted:
Yes, i also will turn to the last page of a book, read it, then shelve it. When i read it later, i won't remember that ending, but that delicate, sweet frisson of realization, of understanding, of "getting it", is addictive. A terrible habit, i know. One of my few vices.
I'm trying to use the search fields for our board, but i don't seem to be getting anywhere. Please don't go searching on my behalf or anything, just wondering if anyone remembers when this was mentioned.
Thanks,
Paul
The medium is the message.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:54 am

I cannot recall if this posting took place, but it would not surprise me a bit. CBC tended to cut unimportant stuff, like cliff hanger resolution.

(not a problem now thanks to a certain Weblander)

However, I will say, that having not read ANY spoilers at all, and having NO IDEA what to expect, that moment when the Daleks emerge. . .wow, probably the best TV moment of my life.

Arbitrary

Season 3 to commence on bbc1 late march

Postby Arbitrary » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:47 am

and here we are in 'old blighty' waiting for season 3 to start.

it's sad, but I've moved the sofa so I CAN hide behind it, there's also a comfy cushion ( I don't see the need to be frightened and have sore knees)

paul

Postby paul » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:47 am

Upon Gynneth's & David's Brit Best from months ago I would also add Catherine Tate.

"How very dare you?"

Creepy and hilarious. Like clown sex.

Arbitrary

Postby Arbitrary » Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:09 pm

given the generalisation that hollywood thinks that most british blokes are gay or evil (sometimes even both) here is my tuppence to the people britain has given the world' listings

Quentin Crisp
John Inman
Guy Burgess
Miriam Margoles
Alan Turing
Oscar Wilde
Joe Orton
Kenneth Williams
Simon Callow
A positive outlook may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:46 pm

Simon?

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:53 pm

Of course. What other Callow did you have in mind?
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Alejandro Riera

Doctor Who Third Season

Postby Alejandro Riera » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:33 am

Steve-o Evil-o and the rest of the gang:

The trailer for the brand new spanking season of Doctor Who (premiering March 31st) is up and running at the BBC website: www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho.

Quite a teaser it is.

Enjoy!

AR

paul

Postby paul » Thu May 31, 2007 2:55 pm

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu May 31, 2007 3:09 pm

- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “Pop Culture”