Whatcha reading?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Ezra Lb.

Re: Whatcha reading?

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:24 pm

C'mon Frank admit it. You do like a little taste of the lash. Otherwise it wouldn't have taken you 28 pages to figure out FSofG was crappola.

Although...who was it who recently posted this?

I should read a whole book of his before I make a judgement.

I have such exquisite taste that I seldom find myself reading a bad book but the last time I did toss a book across the room was the first volume of the LEFT BEHIND series. I grew up in the baptist church when Hal Lindsey's LATE GREAT PLANET EARTH end times crapperoo was becoming popular so I figured what the hell maybe the LEFT BEHIND series would be a fast pulpy read. But it is, for me at least, unreadable.

Actually Lindsey's LGPE is just such a fast pulpy read. With the caveat of course that it's, uh, "theology" is utter bullshit. Lindsey is the Erich Von Daniken of theologians. He does a good job though of translating Biblical apocalypticism into 70s pop political concepts and if you read it like a pulp sciffy novel it's pretty entertaining. Better than Dan Brown.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:52 am

Graham Greene, what a writer. A Catholic as well.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:49 am

Just finished Sean McMeekin's July 1914 about the month of clusterfucks leading to WWI:

http://theproximaleye.com/2013/06/11/gr ... reat-wars/

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:58 am

Mark, you didn't mention that the writer is a libertarian. They tend to be good on foreign policy, bad on the economy.

Does me mention the Edward Bernays angle?

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:01 am

FrankChurch wrote:Mark, you didn't mention that the writer is a libertarian. They tend to be good on foreign policy, bad on the economy.

Does me mention the Edward Bernays angle?

I had no idea McMeekin is a Libertarian. As long as the work is sound, I don't care. I took the trouble to find out about Paul Johnson's leanings because of some of his treatments of unions, which was eyebrow raising, but he had his facts straight.

No.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:45 pm

Mark,

Having heard such glowing reviews of The Book of the New Sun (and having met Gene Wolfe briefly at MadCon a few years ago), I purchased a used copy on Amazon. I stopped about 100 pages in when I just found I could not identify with the characters. It seemed like a great concept book but for whatever reason reading it became a chore, rather than a pleasure. Is the Book of the New Sun one that just takes a while to get started?

A T-C is a seriously gifted writer. Having read both of his Gustav Gloom books, I can say that they are fun for both kids and adults to read. I have several of his short stories in various collections, also. Grab a copy of some of his works if you can, you will not be disappointed
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:49 pm

Markabbadon,

My personal opinion is, The Book of the New Sun is a classic. Word craft, imagination, worldbuilding---wonderful. But it's not necessarily for everyone. Wolfe's take on character can sometimes be a bit sideways and Severian, after all, is a torturer. It just may not be to your taste. (It took me several years and a number of tries before I could read Delany with pleasure. I had to "grow into it" as it were.) If it just doesn't hit you the right way, there's no foul in walking away.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:50 pm

P.S. I realize I didn't answer your question. Yes, it's a slow build over the four books. It gradually turns into an avalanche, but by careful steps and small increments.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Paul Johnson has his facts straight. Ah, by facts you mean lies called facts. lol Johnson is right wing.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:41 pm

markabaddon wrote:A T-C is a seriously gifted writer. Having read both of his Gustav Gloom books, I can say that they are fun for both kids and adults to read. I have several of his short stories in various collections, also. Grab a copy of some of his works if you can, you will not be disappointed

Agreed. I particularly enjoyed the Andrea Cort novels. Glad to see him getting well-deserved attention for his work. "Arvies" still has me f*cked up in some ways.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:45 am

FrankChurch wrote:Paul Johnson has his facts straight. Ah, by facts you mean lies called facts. lol Johnson is right wing.

No, by that I mean he tells you what happened, who was there, and what was going on around it, and he tells them straight. He puts his interpretations in separate paragraphs, just so we can tell the difference. Stop being a dialectician for three or four posts.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:46 am

You guys ever meet Castro?

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:04 am

Mark,

Thanks for the response. I had no problem with Severian's profession and, as I said, I found the concept of the book fascinating, but it just did not grab me. It is not a book I plan on getting rid of but think I will wait a while before I dive into it again. I have found books can be like wine in that the experience can be vastly different depending on the situation.

Also, the last name is Goldberg, no need for you to refer to me as markabaddon

All the best,

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:25 am

FrankChurch wrote:You guys ever meet Castro?

Adam-Troy?

Yes, at the WorldCon in Anaheim many years ago. And Judi. Really good people.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:48 am

Delving into Dirty Wars by Jeremy Scahill. Our covert war to keep us "safe" is creating more terrorism. The point our side keeps making. It's not about terrorism or security but power.

Return to “Pop Culture”