Whatcha reading?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Lori Koonce

Re: Whatcha reading?

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:26 pm

Mark and Frank

Thanks.... One more question. DB has been writing with a partner lately, can either of you remember his name?

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:29 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:Mark and Frank

Thanks.... One more question. DB has been writing with a partner lately, can either of you remember his name?

He's been doing a series with Ridley Pearson about Peter Pan---prequels, beginning with Peter and the Starcatchers. They're quite good.

Keendawg

Postby Keendawg » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:51 pm

Lori,

Vonnegut-all
Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker books
Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's GOOD OMENS

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:15 pm

Farewell Summer by Bradbury. Must have been one of his last novels (though, he was probably churning them out 'till the very end). A wonderful story about growing up and growing old, though I do wish it wasn't quite so easily summarized as "the story of an old man who couldn't get it up, and a young boy who couldn't keep it down. . ."

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:48 pm

C.S. Lewis, so you know how guys like me tick. :)

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:51 pm

It's not the clockwork that confuses us, Franklin.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:40 am

Rushdie's Fury and Roth's Goodbye Columbus. We're going through "R" today. . .

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:37 pm

Paint cans and specs for miter saws. (Even in times of home renovation, there's reading afoot...)

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:10 pm

Jack London FANTASTIC TALES (Univ of Nebraska Press 1998)

A collection of London's fantasy & science fiction short stories with an intro by Philip Jose Farmer. London was a serious practitioner, much more so than I had realized. He wrote ghost stories, tales of the far past and far future, and post-apocalyptic adventure. Interestingly several of his stories record fictional events set in the present day but told from a futuristic perspective. To be honest this stuff is not his best work. That remains his adventure stories. But the stories are enormously entertaining. Some highlights: Goliah, a political parable about a future utopia established by assassination; War, a stunning short short and the best thing in the book, and The Red One, an alien invasion tale influenced by H G Wells and some speculate, an influence on Lovecraft.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:59 pm

Thom Jones, one of my fallback authors. The short story guy. From his collection: THE PUGILIST AT REST.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:13 am

Then he's not a pugilist. :lol:

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:14 pm

Anybody but me a "Total Immersion" reader? What I mean by that is when I'm reading an author's work that's all I read for days and days until I get tired and am ready to move on. I don't skip around. I dig deep. What this means on a practical level is I pulled out my copy of STAR ROVER and CALL OF THE WILD and dangit that's not what I planned to read next at all. I'll be Jack Londoning for a while.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:19 pm

Not at all Ezra. Matter of fact that's how I came to this place.

After reading everything my local library could get of Harlan's on interlibrary loan, I needed a fix. Put his name in a search engine and Vila...

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:24 am

Ezra Lb. wrote:Anybody but me a "Total Immersion" reader? What I mean by that is when I'm reading an author's work that's all I read for days and days until I get tired and am ready to move on. I don't skip around. I dig deep. What this means on a practical level is I pulled out my copy of STAR ROVER and CALL OF THE WILD and dangit that's not what I planned to read next at all. I'll be Jack Londoning for a while.

Depends on the ease of the material and availability. I read Steinbeck that way and Elmore Leonard, Sim's CEREBUS, Cormac McCarthy. Bukowski, I guess. Harlan...the non-fiction, yes. I exercised caution with the fiction; I took Harlan's famous caveat in DEATHBIRD STORIES as sound advice.

Rick Keeney

Doug Lane

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:33 am

Thought I posted this already, but I'm reading Doug Lane's short stories "The Golem-Maker of Buchenwald," and "Bobby Boxster in Eight Measures." The former is new to me, and mean as hell. Tough little story. The latter is one of my go-to stories for putting off the blackness. Biblio-therapy. Doug got in a groove with this one, as he'll tell you, and he never left it. A real whiz-bang. When the emotions are taking a dive, a kick in the face almost always helps me.

Return to “Pop Culture”