Whatcha reading?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Gwyneth M905

Re: Whatcha reading?

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:21 am

I'm reading my Valentine's Day present from me Mum: HERO: The Life and Legend of Lawrence of Arabia by Michael Korda. It's a fascinating read. I was stunned to find out that I'm taller than Lawrence by an inch. But what an amazing man!
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:32 pm

Gwyneth M905

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:48 pm

FrankChurch wrote:As long as you read this next:

http://www.amazon.com/Woman-Among-Warlo ... 663&sr=8-1

Wow, Frank that looks really good. Sounds like a great recommendation for my interfaith book club. I do like to find books that accurately portray the evils of colonialism and orientalism as they pertain to Western views on the countries that are primarily Islamic. I think it helps to counteract, and explain, why so many of them are so deeply dysfunctional to Western eyes. Given a chance to develop organically, without Western colonial, military, and geopolitical interference, I think many of the Axis of Evil would have turned out differently, more democratically, albeit it with Shari'a as a basis for law.
I want to learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi Knight, the same as my Father.
STAR WARS (1977)

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:27 pm

Just finished Forever Free by Joe Haldeman, and found it deeply disapointing. During the second half, it almost felt like he'd gotten bored with the book and was just rushing to finish it. ("Right; so what we did then was this, then we did this, and here's a humorous aside, and then we had to change all our most fundamental assumptions about the universe, then we went home. Happy?")

The ending was a deus ex machina if I ever encountered one, and felt incongruous with what he established in the first half of the book, and indeed with the Rover War which this is supposedly a sequel to (though not so much with other stuff of his that I've read, funnily enough).

I remember a couple years ago somebody making very similar comments here about a Joe Haldeman novel. Same one perhaps?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:05 pm

You have more sticktoittiveness than I do, Steve. I have dozens of abandoned books on the shelf which either got boring, or somehow else stretched my attention span.

If a book isn't working for me, it gets put away...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:48 pm

Well, it wasn't a terribly long book. And I didn't expect him to cop out the way he did. Curiosity drew me in.. .

(The Rover War? Of course I meant The Forever War)

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:59 pm

Just finished Into The Wild by Jack Krakauer. This was a tough read not because it was poorly writte, in fact it was excellent, but the subject matter was difficult. I had to put it down twice while on the bus as I staretd tearing up. The story of this, by all acoounts, really good kid who was just overly idealistic and naive, and how he dies rather horribly in the Alaskan wild was, as a father, hard to read, especially the part where the 80 year old man asks to adopt him, and he says they can talk about upon his return (knowing that he dies in the wild, which is where the story begins)

Highly recommended, but have tissues ready when reading it
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:54 am

I read that one in J-School, and felt particularly sorry for the mother. Which reminds me, I should probably write home tonight. . .

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:22 am

I haven't read Into the Wild, but I was thoroughly captivated by Krakauer's Into Thin Air -- based on the tragic 1996 storm on Everest which claimed the lives of eight climbers.

(Now I'm curious as to what else Krakauer has been into.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:38 am

Red Into Thin Air a long time ago. Into the Wild is a more personal story for him as he clearly identifies with aspects of what McCandless did (as do I)

The mother was a very sympathetic character, but I thought the Dad was a complete a-hole. I will not say more as it might spoil sections of the book
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:50 pm

Mark

They turned that one into a movie about 2 or 3 years ago. I've seen that now I'll have to get the book.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:05 pm

HE has always given Gerard Kersh as his favorite writer. I had read a collection of his short stories which I enjoyed but can't say they blew me away. But a couple of weeks ago I found a copy of a novel called PRELUDE TO A CERTAIN MIDNIGHT. Oh my god! What a wonderful novel. I feel like I did when I first discovered Raymond Chandler. Did everybody know about this guy but me?

Wow. I think the next one will be NIGHT AND THE CITY since I am a fan of the movie. Kersh was very prolific. Any recommendations from those of you who are fans?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:00 pm

I thought his books were all out of print?

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:36 pm

While I love Unca Harlan, sometimes his tastes do not always match mine. Tried Kersh a couple of years ago and was not all that enamored. Liekd The Seven Who Fled by Prokosh but was not blown away by it. Different strokes, I guess

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:33 pm

Kersh appears to be mostly out of print. Typically the ones in print appear to be the books made into movies. The most famous is NIGHT & THE CITY which was made into what is considered a classic film noir in 1950. Looking forward to it on the theory that the book tends to be better than the movie.

Can't speak for Hersh's work as a whole but I can testify that PRELUDE is a helluva novel.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “Pop Culture”