Whatcha reading?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: Whatcha reading?

Postby Moderator » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:11 pm

Looking forward to the review Lori. I finished 7 AGAINST CHAOS this morning and will post a short thought n it tomorrow.

(The Readers' Digest version would be something like "Wow. Just...wow!")
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Rumi. Very good.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Lori Koonce wrote:I'm reading Pulling a Train EZ, just thought I should finish it before giving a review.

Hey that never stopped some of the Wash Post reviewers. heh heh heh
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:26 am

Rumi?

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:09 am

FrankChurch wrote:Rumi?

Google him Frank, you do know how to use Google don't you?

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:12 am

Ezra Lb. wrote:
Lori Koonce wrote:I'm reading Pulling a Train EZ, just thought I should finish it before giving a review.

Hey that never stopped some of the Wash Post reviewers. heh heh heh

With some of the stuff they review, can ya blame 'em?

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:23 pm

Rumi, the Muslim poet from the 13th century. He had an ecstatically loving relationship with God. His writing is very moving. Also very dense, so it is taking me some time to get through.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Poetry is meant to be read slowly. Not that it is dense, but it is complex. You need to be able to parse its meaning in your mind and soul.

You would enjoy Tolstoy as well. He is not dense, actually very enjoyable. I don't know if I will do a David Loftus and read War and Peace, but I just might--some day. lol

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:58 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Poetry is meant to be read slowly. Not that it is dense, but it is complex. You need to be able to parse its meaning in your mind and soul.

You would enjoy Tolstoy as well. He is not dense, actually very enjoyable. I don't know if I will do a David Loftus and read War and Peace, but I just might--some day. lol

Do Anna Karenina first. It's the real masterpiece by Tolstoy.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:58 am

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:16 pm

Ya know Mark I can't find myself disagreeing with any statement you make.

And yet...and yet...

Where is our Proust, our Joyce, our Tolstoy, our Dickens, our Twain? Is any contemporary writer performing even near that level? (I picked those folks not just because of their genius but because their genius was recognized by their contemporaries. They didn't have to wait a hundred years after their deaths to be discovered - like say, William Blake.) In one of his snarkier moments (in a lifetime of snark) Gore Vidal once said that America produces the finest second-raters in the world, that we were incapable of producing first-raters. You don't have to agree with that (I don't) to ask yourself some questions though.

Is the level of readership an accurate barometer of the health of the novel?

Which is the best barometer, the presence of talent or the presence of genius?

Is the novel the best art form to capture the way we live now?

Beats the hell outta me. But I continue to read voraciously.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

zackm

Postby zackm » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:58 pm

Ezra, check out Roberto Bolaño. Not currently living, but damn contemporary and damn fine. THE SAVAGE DETECTIVES and 2666. He might not be the hero of letters you're looking for, but you're getting a little hindsight in your coffee anyway, so...

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:22 am

Ezra,

A handful of people at the time recognized James Joyce as a genius. He sold poorly and was often accused of obscenity. As to the others, I don't know about Proust, but the contemporary equivalents of Twain and Dickens (not in subject but in impact) would be Stephen King, Norman Mailer, Kurt Vonnegut, and (shudder) Philip Roth. Genius? I don't know that anyone was calling either Dickens or Twain geniuses at the time---Twain was roundly criticized for his use of idiom and "common" speech.

Given that the complaint (misdirected as it was, probably) is that The Novel is dying, I don't know what other gage to use but readership.

Gore Vidal once bitched that things had changed since he began publishing in the early 50s, when writers were the rock stars of the day. I think some of them are more rock stars now than rock stars----J.K. Rowling, Laurell K. Hamilton, Nicholas Sparks---but few of them are held in the kind of esteem Vidal's might have been remembering.

I think we have plenty of near-genius novelists publishing today. Their light is less bright only because there are so many more lights in the sky.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:53 am

They tend to be in South America.

Blame the pop culture.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:05 am

Return to “Pop Culture”