Whatcha reading?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: Whatcha reading?

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:00 pm

Used to be a huge Floyd fan. I'm sure Waters would have something interesting to say.

Now:

If on a Winter's Night A Traveller by Italo Calvino, which I'm actually finding kind of hard to get into, and

The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris. Imagine: all your sexual habbits are the result of evolution. Who hoo!

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:51 pm

October is horror month for me (yes, I know, what a loser), so I am finally digging into a Arthur Conan Doyle horror collection I had never read before. While I have read a lot of Conan Doyle, I had not read any of his horror works. Must say I am impressed; some of it is reminiscent of Lovecraft, especially the Dream cycle, but I had not heard that Doyle was an influence on him.

Speaking of Lovecraft, I just got a marvelous graphic novel of the Call of Cthulhu, with artwork by Michael Zigerlig. Highly, highly recommended, just extraordinary artwork
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:17 pm

Mark

If you want a really creepy story read "The Body Politic" by Clive Barker. It should be in the collection The Inhuman Condition.

Suffice it to say that it kept me up and wondering about cellular memory for a few days. Ya gotta read it for that to really make any sense, but it's recommended.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:31 am

Still reading The Scar by China Mieville. Great book, just me being a slow and word avaricious reader.

Also reading Titanicus by Dan Abnett, I do like a bit of Warhammer 40000 in the morning. Especially if it smells of napalm.

Once theyre done and dusted, I have got to read Robert Rankin's latest. Its on my bookshelf mocking me. The Japanese Devil-fish Girl and Other Unnatural Attractions. He bills it as "a steam-punk sequal to War Of The Worlds". Should be interesting indeed.

Then I really really REALLY need to get on with The Fuller Memorandum by Charles Stross. Cos I just love his books.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:10 am

Lori, I have not read Barker in a number of years, primarily because I thought some of his stuff was too derivative, drawing a bit too much from Lovecraft. Now, I will admit that it has been over a decade, maybe even close to two, since I read him and did like the story on which the film Candyman was based, so perhaps it is time to give him another shot. Pretty sure I have a couple of the Books of Blood stored away but not shure if I have The Inhuman Condition

Thanks,

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:34 am

Confession time:

That story is close to my heart for a few reasons. First and formost it's a damned good story. But I should admit that it's the story that brought me to the foot of the altar that we all worship at around here.

Harlan was mentioned in the dedication, and I figured that anyone who could compell another to scare me like that was worthy of a look see. And I've been hooked ever sense.

And you're right, most of his shorter works are rather derivative, but his novels are worth staying up for IMHO!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:02 pm

Tonight a Bradbury book comes off the shelf. Haven't decided which yet, but it will be one of the older collections.

Like Mark, October is my month for the macabre.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:57 pm

Actually got very little reading done lately, having been busy with school. October is usually dedicated to the latest volume of The Mammoth Book of Horror, but I confess I've hardly cracked it open. Been deep into The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym, and an audio edition of Post Captain by Patrick O'Brian. It's been a wet month so far.

swp

Postby swp » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:48 pm

I am reading The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series with my daughter.

Not that I have much of a choice these days.

But I can confirm that it is possible to read all of the collected short stories by Arthur C Clarke so often that you know them all and don't want to read him any more. Ditto for the Essential Ellison (softcover). Who'd a thunk it? :(
swp

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:56 pm

Give it a couple years: maybe it'll come back?

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:52 pm

Hey, reddragon70 . . . I'm reading _The Scar_ too! I find it absorbing but slow going, so I've read two or three other short fast books at the same time, and started another.

Recent reads: The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris (fascinating and well written); Faceless Killers, the first Kurt Wallander mystery by Henning Mankell (the PBS Mystery/Masterpiece Theatre series starring Kenneth Branagh has been pretty damn good); and Roseanna, the first Martin Beck mystery by Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö (very dry but compelling).

I've just started the third Stieg Larsson book, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I don't find him that great a prose writer (at least to judge by the translation), but he's a fiendishly good plot twister.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:42 pm

Somethng Wicked This Way Comes Again.

I swear the book is different every time I read it. None of the early passages feel familiar. Bradbury is indeed a magician. . .

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:35 pm

Different Bradbury in my hands. I started Twice Twenty Two and dropped it in favor of From the Dust Returned -- it seemed like a perfect October fix.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Kafkahead

Postby Kafkahead » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:44 am

I'm going to buy tonight "The Stars my Destination" at a local bookshop. Also, I've been looking for "October Country" for a while now, but the only works from Bradbury's reportoire avaiable around here are the same old in every store: "Fahrenheit 451" (or as I like to call it, "Celsius 232.7777..."), "Illustrated Man" and "The Martian Chronicles". No "Something Wicked This Way Comes", no "Dandelion Wine", no "Halloween Tree"...

Anyone feeling charitable enough to mail me one of those books so I can be a freeloader? :P

K.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:06 am

Kafka, I would advise Dandelion Wine. Its a bloody great book, not SF in the way you may expect but still exceptionally good. It has a beautiful dreamlike quality to the stories that I just adored. I think you would enjoy it even if some may not. Take a chance a buy it.

Return to “Pop Culture”