Great Bumperstickers

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:57 pm

I heard Tinyurl may have spyware, watch it.

Davey C

Postby Davey C » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:00 pm

David Loftus wrote:Not the sort of thing that would inspire a belly laugh or a big grin, perhaps.

...which may go some way towards explaining the flatline sales, yup. I usually have to explain the "I am a Jewish carpenter; you're fired" sticker, too.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:54 pm

Davey C wrote:
David Loftus wrote:Not the sort of thing that would inspire a belly laugh or a big grin, perhaps.

...which may go some way towards explaining the flatline sales, yup. I usually have to explain the "I am a Jewish carpenter; you're fired" sticker, too.

Heh.

I think I've seen one a bit like that; not so humorous, though. It said something like "My boss is a Jewish carpenter."
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Davey C

Postby Davey C » Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:46 pm

...to which, in fact, mine is a snotty response. I considered the shot a little too obscure to elicit a giggle when I first came up with it, but over a couple years, I started seeing more & more of those "My boss..." stickers, and figured it might be worthwhile.

<Wayne> NOT. </Wayne>

paul

Postby paul » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:09 pm

Davey C wrote:...which may go some way towards explaining the flatline sales, yup. I usually have to explain the "I am a Jewish carpenter; you're fired" sticker, too.

Davey, i kinda like those. Do you have a business?
-------------

Yesterday i saw
Don't blame me because your god doesn't want me to believe in him.

cute.
-------------
I used to have my favorite b. sticker, it said

THINK.
LIKE I DO.

could be interpreted a coupla ways.
The medium is the message.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:32 am

Speaking of things that could be taken more than one way . . . there's a cartoonist named Calman, I believe, in England. The SF Chronicle used to run his simple but pithy single-panel cartoons in their paper.

One that I just loved, I blew up into a small poster and hung over my desk when I was a reporter for a newspaper. Everyone who saw it, liked it, from the most radical feminist to the most chauvinistic jerk.

It showed a large, fierce-looking woman carrying a sign that said "Free Women Now!" and a mousy onlooker of a man asking "Can I have one?"
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

paul

Postby paul » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:49 am

Not a b.stick. but funny nevertheless:

http://catmydog.comicgenesis.com/

On the heels of David's post, a site called Edible Dirt by my friend Matt Rosemier in London. Good stuff.
The medium is the message.

Davey C

Postby Davey C » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:50 am

Davey, i kinda like those. Do you have a business?

Well no, just a cafepress.com thing. BlightedAlbertProductions is the shop name.

And this is possibly where I find out whether plugging wares is frowned upon here.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:15 am

Subtlety is not spamming, believe me.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:59 am

It may be a subtle distinction, but folks who make themselves useful and familiar by regularly contributing to the discussion threads earn the right to publicize their own products and activities here -- in moderation -- while posts that are one-time-only commercial announcements constitute spam.

swp

Postby swp » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:35 pm

Not exactly a whole bumper sticker per se, but...

In my youth, I used to detest seeing bumper stickers that said things like "I <heart> My Dog" and "I <heart> My <insert animal picture here>" and whatnot. So I made a bunch of little round stickers with white backgrounds that had a simple wood screw on them. Something like this image here: http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/prodimg/F-WSFP.JPG

I placed them over the <heart> symbols.

While I am probably not the first and almost certainly not the only one who ever did this, it still gives me a chuckle when I see one these days in the wilds of deepest darkest new jersey.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:17 am

Saw a so-so one on a parked vehicle on my way to work this morning:

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT - It makes it harder for aliens to suck you out of your car.

But it made me think of one that would appeal to me more:

FASTEN YOUR SEATBELT . . . so you can stick around after the Rapture.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:50 am

More theoretical than reality, but a friend of mine wants a sticker that says "If the driver's seat is empty, you missed the Rapture."

The theory being a) he's Jewish, and b) the car sits empty 95% of the time.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

KristinRuhle

Postby KristinRuhle » Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:54 am

my boyfriend was in Iraq and is in Veterans for Peace....he had these made:

I brake for IEDs
PTSD is my co-pilot

Kristin
fave i saw at an anarchist/atheist bookstore: "God was my co-pilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat Him."

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:42 pm

"What Would Scooby-Do?"

Return to “Pop Culture”