Great Bumperstickers

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

swp

Re: Great Bumperstickers

Postby swp » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:45 pm

Grayson wrote:Am I the only one who loves the Wall Drug bumper stickers?

--Grayson

never seen one. got a link?
swp

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:43 pm

I'm not sure what you're talking about either.

Did somebody associate a chain of U.S. pharmacies with Pink Floyd?
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Grayson

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:22 pm

Just the generic Where is Wall Drug? stickers. They work in combination with the famous billboards (they have hundreds of them throughout South Dakota). A tourist trap and slice of roadside American in the finest sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Drug

Grayson

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:29 pm

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2216

By the way, http://www.roadsideamerica.com is an interesting site in and of itself.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:45 pm

A pure slab of wonderful American cheese. Cries out roadtrip!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:38 pm

Just heard about this one on the radio this AM. An agnostic was feeling rather uncomfortable about all the religious bumperstickers in his neighborhood. Untill he found one that read " Born right the first time"

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon May 17, 2010 2:20 pm

This is not necessarily a "Great" bumpersticker, but I have to say it's kept me wondering:

Better to be judged by twelve
Than carried by six

I'm abashed to admit that I didn't immediately grasp what the second line referred to, and it took a moment of discussion with the others in my vehicle to identify it. But now I'm wondering what the larger political or social or legal context for this thing might be, if any.

Anybody ever seen it?

Anybody have any theories?
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue May 18, 2010 4:19 am

Guns! Thats an old NRA slogan.

Shoot first and ask questions later.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue May 18, 2010 11:31 am

Ah, Bingo!

It all becomes clear.

Unfortunately, the Portland Police Department seems to operate too often according to that formula.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:46 am

"At least the war on the environment is going well"

"If we don't change direction we'll end up where we're going"

I smell a Unitarian in that vehicle.

Tom

Postby Tom » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:40 pm

First a couple seen on the cars of ladies (they may have been license plate frames, but the message is the same):

You can't be first, but you can be next

If you're gonna ride my ass, at least pull my hair

And one from the freedom from religion front:

Don't pray in my school and I won't think in your church

I remember Carlin doing a bit on the I "heart" stickers. He resented the fact that the other suits in a deck of cards weren't being represented. So he holds up:

I (spade) my dog

I (club) my wife
Tom

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:01 am

Speaking of bumperstickers for ladies, I've seen several massive pickups with this one:

"Silly boys, trucks for girls"

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:02 am

Err, "trucks are for girls"

swp

Re:

Postby swp » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:33 am

swp wrote:Not exactly a whole bumper sticker per se, but...

In my youth, I used to detest seeing bumper stickers that said things like "I <heart> My Dog" and "I <heart> My <insert animal picture here>" and whatnot. So I made a bunch of little round stickers with white backgrounds that had a simple wood screw on them. Something like this image here: http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/prodimg/F-WSFP.JPG

I placed them over the <heart> symbols.

While I am probably not the first and almost certainly not the only one who ever did this, it still gives me a chuckle when I see one these days in the wilds of deepest darkest new jersey.

what's old is new again. I saw another one of these today in Camden, NJ. Then I come here and see the recent posts. ah, serendipity.
swp

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:27 am

Saw a terrific T-shirt the other day. It had a photograph of a line of American Indian braves and chiefs, and the headline "Homeland Security.

Below: "Fighting foreign terrorists since 1492."

Return to “Pop Culture”