Frank's pop culture minute.

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:31 am

It has more to do with his tone. Sure, be pissed, but not irrationally so. If I yelled at a waitress for burning my toast that would be a bit much. Hollywood types tend to look down on the technical crew, thinking those people only serve their egos.

Without a technical crew there is no movie.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:18 am

Josh Olson

Postby Josh Olson » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:23 am

FrankChurch wrote:It has more to do with his tone. Sure, be pissed, but not irrationally so. If I yelled at a waitress for burning my toast that would be a bit much. Hollywood types tend to look down on the technical crew, thinking those people only serve their egos.

Without a technical crew there is no movie.

Seriously, Frank, you need to stop. You have no idea what you're talking about. Zip. Nada.

Yes, I understand your immediate, knee jerk reaction to the recording was what it was. But I am attempting to inform you, and as much as it hurts to let go of the emotional zing of looking down your nose at a snooty actor, YOU'RE WRONG.

I just looked you up on the imdb, and, curiously, you're not there. So I'm kinda fascinated to find out where you came by this knowledge that "Hollywood types" look down on crews, cos it's clearly not from the many years you've spent on sets. I can't imagine you're just parroting some mindless stereotype perpetuated by know-nothings and dittoheads, so please, Frank, enlighten this unworthy one - how many sets have you been on? How many "Hollywood types" do you actually know? (And please forgive my ignorance - what, exactly, IS a "Hollywood type?")

By the way, speaking of looking down your nose at people, don't EVER tell a feature DP that he's just "technical crew." The person you're referencing is not some guy hauling cable. He's one of the primary creative members of the crew. One of the many things that separates "Hollywood types" from ignoramuses on the internet is that we know these things.

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:18 am

Josh Olson wrote:Seriously, Frank, you need to stop. You have no idea what you're talking about.

mr. olson,
good luck with that.
wherever the masses are downtrodden or repressed ,frank will be there,to whine about it.
HELP HELP I'M BEING REPRESSED
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o76WQzVJ434

follow your bliss,mike

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:51 am

Apologies. I referred to the DP as "the lighting guy", betraying my lack of attention to what I was reading. I simply saw the references to lighting without realizing that it was the actual Dir of Photography involved.

That, of course, annoys me this much more. A DP should be understanding -- in the extreme -- of setting a proper mood for actors to perform their work to the best of their ability. Rattling around in the background is the worst sort of disrespect.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

cynic

Postby cynic » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:40 am

Barber wrote:That, of course, annoys me this much more. A DP should be understanding -- in the extreme -- of setting a proper mood for actors to perform their work to the best of their ability. Rattling around in the background is the worst sort of disrespect.

whether the disurbance the dp caused was arrogant disrespect or a sincere desire to"get it right"at an inopportune moment ,we may never know.if the latter,i'd imagine the dp would in future think twice about about distracting the actors.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:14 pm

Bale gives a wonderful apology:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poqXvE4Sf_A

He is a great guy.

Josh Olson

Postby Josh Olson » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:37 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Bale gives a wonderful apology:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poqXvE4Sf_A

He is a great guy.

I cannot tell you how repulsive I find your post, Frank. Talk about a pitchfork carrying mob...

You understand, I hope, that his apology is a result of the baying of ignoramuses such as yourself. No question that he's been forced to take this position as a public relation move, because to go out publicly and try to inform people like you as to the truth would be - clearly - a waste of time.

Smug ignorance is not an attractive trait, Frank. Not at all.

Josh Olson

Postby Josh Olson » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:57 pm

And hey, you know who else gives a good apology? Michael Phelps. Good thing we nailed that scumbag, too, huh Frank?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:31 pm

This is such an earthshaking subject and all but I will leave it be.

I think Bale is sincere.

Josh Olson

Postby Josh Olson » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:49 pm

FrankChurch wrote:This is such an earthshaking subject and all but I will leave it be.

It's not earthshaking at all, Frank. What it is is annoying. I don't know what you do for a living, but I have to imagine that if a bunch of yahoos who had no idea of how your business worked were asserting a ton of bullshit about it based on total ignorance, it might frost your ass a bit.

FrankChurch wrote: I think Bale is sincere.

Newsflash, Frank - he's a world class actor. He's good at that. And he had to go out there and convince people like you that he was sincere in eating shit because people like you insist on asserting your ignorance in the face of all reason. Blech.

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:54 pm

It's possible to understand exactly why Bale blew his top, and still find his outburst distasteful. Yes, stuff like this happens all the time on Hollywood sets, and I'm sure Christian Bale is a fine person (really) who just had a bad moment when his DP insisted on tweaking lights in the middle of an emotional scene. (Why did the director not lock down the set if he had an inkling that this would happen, I wonder?) Still, going on for several minutes about how you're going to kick someone's ass and get them canned is unacceptable behavior in any field, especially when it doesn't involve a death or injury, or the possibility of one.

Jim's Rule of Belligerence: It's okay to lose your temper, but ranting and raving for more than ten seconds is self-indulgence at best, and deliberate cruelty at worst. Bale, to his credit, seems to understand this.
--
"His plan therefore was not to refuse admission to the idea, but to keep it at bay until his mind was ready to receive it. Then let it in and pulverise it. Obliterate the bastard."--Samuel Beckett

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:38 pm

Barack Obama has ushered in a new era of class, Bale breached that. He may have been right, but that kind of stuff just cannot be allowed. Bale seems to be a good guy, and I will trust that he had a bad moment, based on a dumb fuckup by the DP.

Now back to the real world.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:40 pm

Yea, Steve King took a chance, as did Radiohead, with In Rainbows. Most of their downloads were ripped off too. They made money, but they were lucky, because they were already a big group. Many small bands don't have that option, or writers.

I never rip off the little guy.

Return to “Pop Culture”