Frank's pop culture minute.

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:51 pm

cynic

Postby cynic » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:04 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Barack Obama has ushered in a new era of class, Bale breached that.

Now back to the real world.

darn that bale!breaching a new era!

franks real world?
“Every eye fixed itself upon him; with parted lips and bated breath the audience hung upon his words, taking no note of time, rapt in the ghastly fascinations of the tale”.
Mark Twain from Tom Sawyer

follow your bliss

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:56 am

Mike, my bliss follows me, starsailor.

Donald Petersen

Postby Donald Petersen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:47 pm

Jim Davis wrote:It's possible to understand exactly why Bale blew his top, and still find his outburst distasteful. Yes, stuff like this happens all the time on Hollywood sets, and I'm sure Christian Bale is a fine person (really) who just had a bad moment when his DP insisted on tweaking lights in the middle of an emotional scene. (Why did the director not lock down the set if he had an inkling that this would happen, I wonder?) Still, going on for several minutes about how you're going to kick someone's ass and get them canned is unacceptable behavior in any field, especially when it doesn't involve a death or injury, or the possibility of one.

Jim's Rule of Belligerence: It's okay to lose your temper, but ranting and raving for more than ten seconds is self-indulgence at best, and deliberate cruelty at worst. Bale, to his credit, seems to understand this.

I gotta agree with you, Jim. Though I myself do not work at any particularly rarefied creative level within the industry, I do actually work in it, so maybe my two cents won't be misplaced. I've worked on set in a couple of features, and a handful of miniseries and MOWs over the last seventeen-odd years, and I've seen this behavior a time or two myself. The hours do get long, the emotions run high, and plenty of actors sometimes drive themselves (or are driven) to an emotional breaking point in the service of their art. In my experience, the "high-maintenance" or "fragile" or "totally f***in' insane" actors are neither more nor less talented than the solidly nailed-down ones who can turn on and off an apparently wrenching performance like flipping a lightswitch. I shan't name names, but I remember working with one actress whose process consistently required completely clear sightlines, frequent breathing exercises, plenty of rehearsal, a precise amount of pepper on her morning eggs, and the freedom to browbeat and insult a talented and likable 8-year-old co-star. God help the hapless grip who couldn't quite stifle a sneeze during this lady's monologue. On the same show, the actor playing her husband liked to goof off with the crew, trading Larry Fine impersonations with the DP between shots, and then would (by all external appearances effortlessly) transform himself into his murderous psychotic character in the four or five seconds in between "Sound speed!" and "Action!" Their performances in the final cut were equally commendable. Whatever works, I guess.

But Bale blew his top in a more spectacular form than is usual. He can certainly be forgiven for losing his temper (generically speaking) with a DP who's constantly wandering around fiddling with things when an actor's trying to perform. But good Christ, that was a particularly appalling and abusive loss of temper. Like David O. Russell's on-set meltdown, it's only really newsworthy because of the extent of the vitriol being flung. I've seen my brother lose his temper on-set once or twice, and he's a guy with a reputation for being easy to get along with (his loan-out corporation is Nice Guy Productions, for Pete's sake), so I know that it can happen to nearly anyone under the pressure-cooker conditions on set, and a high-dollar effects-heavy beast like a Terminator movie only dials the pressure up higher.

But I still say that Bale (and Russell, for that matter) went way too far. In the unlikely event that I were to produce a feature, I might think twice about hiring Shane Hurlbut to shoot my movie (did Mr. 3000 really look all that fabulous, after all?), but I honestly can't see that Christian Bale, talented as he is, is worth the price of such a fearsome temper. One usually can't indulge such an outburst in most other lines of work, but I freely acknowledge that raw emotion is an actor's stock in trade, and if someone's messing up an actor's concentration, the actor's not going to be able to the perform at his best level. But one would think that a relatively calmer "Hey asshole, sit still for a bit 'cause you're really making it tough for me to concentrate up here" might have sufficed.

I also think people's memory of the fact that Bale's own mother and sister had him arrested in London last year for verbally blowing up at them might lend a bit of credence to the idea that Bale's temper might be a tad outta whack.

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:34 am

Thanks for the reply, Donald!

Donald Petersen wrote:But Bale blew his top in a more spectacular form than is usual. He can certainly be forgiven for losing his temper (generically speaking) with a DP who's constantly wandering around fiddling with things when an actor's trying to perform. But good Christ, that was a particularly appalling and abusive loss of temper.

Yeah, which is why I find defenses of it, like Josh Olson's above, utterly mystifying. There's a difference between an explanation and an excuse. Blowing your top like that and threatening to beat up the DP? No excuse.

But I still say that Bale (and Russell, for that matter) went way too far. [. . .] But one would think that a relatively calmer "Hey asshole, sit still for a bit 'cause you're really making it tough for me to concentrate up here" might have sufficed.

I've had problems with my temper in the past, and what helped me to tamp it down was the realization that I was blowing my top not out of any sense of injustice, but rather a twisted desire for self-gratification. It's like masturbation, in a way, and like masturbation, it's not something you do around other people.

I also think people's memory of the fact that Bale's own mother and sister had him arrested in London last year for verbally blowing up at them might lend a bit of credence to the idea that Bale's temper might be a tad outta whack.

Yeah, I forgot about that. Still, I have to give him credit: his initial apology was spot-on, with no mitigating or justifying of his actions. So, unless he was completely insincere (and really, how can we know that), I'm willing to believe that he understands just how badly he behaved.
--
"His plan therefore was not to refuse admission to the idea, but to keep it at bay until his mind was ready to receive it. Then let it in and pulverise it. Obliterate the bastard."--Samuel Beckett

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:14 pm

I appreciated Josh's input, but I have to come down on it with you guys. I can see being that angry, but not playing it that way, if only because of an awareness of everyone who would have witnessed it.

Either Bale lost all sense of proportion, or he was consciously wielding his star power in front of a crowd, and I don't countenance either.

There were no virtuous folks here. Assuming what we've learned is fairly accurate, the DP was wrong to behave as he did, Bale was wrong to behave as he did, and whoever made sure the audio tape got out in public was just as bad, if not worse.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Duane

Postby Duane » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:05 pm

Ok, here we go:

Two, count'em TWO Christian Bale "Remixes"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGBb46w3Q0c <-- Italian Jig Mix (Edited)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTihsJQHt48 <-- Dance Club Mix (Unedited -- NSFW Language)

There are days when I really love the internet....

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:27 pm

Duane wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGBb46w3Q0c <-- Italian Jig Mix (Edited)
There are days when I really love the internet....

American Psycho...what a hilarious flick

Duane

Postby Duane » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:46 pm

Hey, I laughed....

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:18 pm

so did i,no sarcasm intended.i bought a copy as soon as it sold on clearance.

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:22 am

David Loftus wrote:There were no virtuous folks here. Assuming what we've learned is fairly accurate, the DP was wrong to behave as he did, Bale was wrong to behave as he did, and whoever made sure the audio tape got out in public was just as bad, if not worse.

I'd include the director, McG, for (a) allowing this situation to boil over like it did, (b) doing nothing to stop it, and (c) having a name like "McG."
--

"His plan therefore was not to refuse admission to the idea, but to keep it at bay until his mind was ready to receive it. Then let it in and pulverise it. Obliterate the bastard."--Samuel Beckett

Donald Petersen

Postby Donald Petersen » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:43 pm

Jim Davis wrote:(c) having a name like "McG."

His middle name (and mother's maiden name) is McGinty. I guess he knew there might be more than a little danger of being labelled "The Not-So-Great McGinty." And apparently "Joseph McGinty Nichol" ain't flashy enough for a Charlie's Angels director.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:09 pm

Jim Davis wrote: It's like masturbation, in a way,

Acting is alot like masturbation. One gets real grouchy when interrupted.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:01 am

You guy's are great.

-------------

Mike, what about the book, ick. Remember the rat scene. eww.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:03 am

Another good remake could be Dreamscape.

Return to “Pop Culture”