Frank's pop culture minute.

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: Frank's pop culture minute.

Postby Moderator » Mon May 03, 2010 7:13 am

In his mid-life autobiography "Losing My Virginity", Sir Richard Branson comments about the SEX PISTOLS, which were on Virgin Records.

Fascinating read given that Branson isn't so much the fawning "look what I done did" sort of autobiographer we usually get from corporate titans.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon May 03, 2010 10:15 am

Steve Evil, no, because it was not sincere..

In the end it's all about a great song, no matter how simple it is. Satisfaction is one riff, over and over and over. You will admit that that is a great song?

Anarchy in the UK is also great.

---------------

Harlan does like Captain Beefheart so he can't be all bad. He got me into Morricone. Gotta love him for that.

There are way too many blogs, but that's another story.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon May 03, 2010 10:49 pm

No reason to try to change his perspective on any of this.

If it were just a matter of taste, David, I would agree with you.

But myopia has its price. I believe Harlan Ellison still has something to say about courage and honor and what it costs to pay the piper, just like he had something to say to me.

But when he goes into a “The Internet is shit” rant, when it obviously isn’t, well the bozos weren’t ever going to listen to him anyway. HE is alienating the very audience that needs to hear what he has to say, and would hear what he has to say. Who will now just blow him off for a crazy old man.

Seems a shame that a man who has spent his whole life taking on all comers should suddenly drawn a line.

Of course he’s under no obligations whatsoever except those he takes on freely. It’s all how you want to spend your flicker of time on this earth.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Tue May 04, 2010 6:59 am

"no-one speaks of obamas media blackout on this, just like the media blackout on the south korean battleship that was torpedoed by north korea, other countries media are reporting that north korea torpedoed this oil rigg , it was built in south korea. and why send swat teams to inspect the other riggs? and when did the interior deptment get swat teams? this is all very fishy"

"ok. What kind of punishment will this bomber get? Probably not much since the bomb didnt kill people. 5-8 yrs? if that. He should be sentenced to death but instead he will be sent to an american prison to recruit more islam jihadists. This is a direct result from the liberal medias actions & attitudes toward the news brainwashing the masses to act a certain way. I wish cnn would report the news the way it is instead of having a say so in the report."

"well the moral of the story is "Dont trust pakis""

"Give em all a oneway ticket to Africa -- all of em."

"Worked for 20 years in the Southeast. Lived for 20 years in the mid-Atlantic. From NJ. Moving to Washington. Lived 6 years in California.
Education is the key. Fattest people in Mississippi? Mighty dumb there as well.
NJ? You think they’re stupid & fat? Wrong on both accounts.
Oregon $ Washington? Higher school testing grades: lower obesity.
Wait: there’s more; married couples raising their own children? Lowest in Mississippi, and Alabama. Highest in NJ, Washington & Oregon! Well well well. Interesting. Maybe they need more welfare. Go Obama Go!"

That's a sample of reader comments to news stories on Reuters, CNN and the Wall Street Journal just this morning. I avoided the Faux News and Huffington Post charnel houses, since they live for comment infighting.

This does not sound like an audience that cares what anyone has to say aside from themselves individually. It DOES sound like the kind of thing Harlan was speaking of when mentioning the devaluation of the so-called "rant" via the Internet (where you're 'uptight' if you point out grammatical problems or spelling issues because it's 'just the Internet').

I'd wager Harlan doesn't go a lot of places online; and a lot of what he gets referred to are blogs where he's getting kicked around by people who inject a lot of douchebag into their commentary because they can't make an argument on its own merits. The succession of Webderland Cage Matches over the years - whether happening in front of him or directed at him - probably haven't been very big boosters of the quality of the Internet for Harlan either.

So if the majority of your experience with the Internet was a) people expressing themselves in a lazy, ignorant or bone-stick-stone stupid fashion because they can't be bothered to do otherwise; b) these same kinds of people engaging in character assassination (of you, your wife or your friends, all of which have happened); c) people posting your copyrighted work without your permission (and the overall pervasive atmosphere that doing so is 'kewl') and d) the need to take legal measures (and very large drains of time and money and energy at that) to counter c) because that's your brand --

Wouldn't you be inclined to think the Internet was shit, and disinclined to understand why other people think it isn't?

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue May 04, 2010 1:02 pm

Oh come on schnookums, put 'er there!

Simplicity can be golden - some of the world's great folk traditions depend on it. And the Sex Pistols were alot of fun back in their day (even if Vicious couldn't play).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The value of Unca Harlan's critique of the internet is that its a perspective we don't often here. The Internet is so ubiquitous nowadays, it is difficult to imagine or remember life without it, and easy to forget that we were doing just fine without it not so long ago. It's not a question of whether he's right ("the internet makes us all stupid) or wrong ("the internet is the greatest source of free information in history") so much as to remind us that there is life beyond it. There are times when even our most cherished beliefs about ourselves need to be questioned and evaluated.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue May 04, 2010 5:04 pm

Yea, but the internet is a vast arena. There is loads of dreck but also massive goodies. Harlan doesn't need the goodies, fine, but at least understand why some people dig them some internets.

This thing can rob you of precious time, I will admit that. I could blame you mooks, but the mirror only sees one mug.

Laughing babies on YouTube, Prince videos he doesn't want you to see, Zmag, every fucking Chomsky appearance ever! What's not to like?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue May 04, 2010 5:05 pm

And, hello Dougie babe. Missed ya, hotstuff.

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed May 05, 2010 5:14 am

Harlan doesn't need the goodies, fine, but at least understand why some people dig them some internets.

I don't think he'd consent to a dramatic reading of "I Will Not Read Your Fucking Script" being posted if he didn't get the Internet on some level, Frank. He simply doesn't want to embrace it beyond the limited social interactions he currently has with it. He's had a different set of experiences. And we also don't know the full extent of his usage. Why, he could be in this room right now, behind the drapes, listening...

Laughing babies on YouTube, Prince videos he doesn't want you to see, Zmag, every fucking Chomsky appearance ever! What's not to like?

When you get to something I actually like, let me know...

Well, okay - that's not fair. In fact, though you've probably seen it, Frankie, here's a wonderful bit of vintage 1983 mondo bizarro revisited for you: James Brown, Michael Jackson and Prince meet on a stage, and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CoxNzOOoQU

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed May 05, 2010 9:54 am

FinderDoug wrote:James Brown, Michael Jackson and Prince meet on a stage, and...

Is this some kind of joke?
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed May 05, 2010 10:16 am

I like how Prince is picked up by his bodyguard.

MJ hated Prince, said Purple Rain was icky.

JB did have a holy touch. He could get the lamb to lie down with the lion. Back in the day he even stopped a race riot.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed May 05, 2010 2:30 pm

When he wasn't beating up the women in his life, that is.

Golden touch, indeed.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu May 06, 2010 11:03 am

Watch it lofty. hehe

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu May 06, 2010 8:54 pm

At least JB and Prince were honest to god sexist pigs and not creepozoids like MJ.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 07, 2010 1:46 pm

Prince isn't sexist. He was accused of hitting Sinead O'Conner, but there is no proof of that. O'Conner would have whooped his purple butt.

Most of his lyrics are very pro-women. We all have our moments in hell and we tend to need step ladders finding heaven.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri May 07, 2010 1:57 pm

For you newbies who haven't been here forever like me and you underneathers, here's the Nardwuar interview with Harlan that neary got Harlan to go to Canada and kill this sucker:

http://www.nardwuar.com/vs/harlan_ellison/

It is very entertaining, but the interviewers are complete assholes.

DO NOT MENTION THIS ON THE PAV! Please.

Return to “Pop Culture”