The Mist

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:26 pm

Barber wrote:And let's not forget Laura Linney wannabe Julianne Moore ...

Man, I love Cris's music, Steve, but now I must kill you.

D.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:33 pm

David, you didn't mention her masterpiece, Hannibal. :D

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:17 pm

FrankChurch wrote:David, you didn't mention her masterpiece, Hannibal. :D

And I expected Frank to mention Short Cuts ...

rich

Postby rich » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:37 pm

You guys are all forgetting the Oscar-worthy work that Julianne Moore did in ASSASSINS. Simply outstanding.

I actually was going to mention FRAILTY, Ezra, but...well, didn't. A very fine movie that exceeded my expectations. Don't know that the 'gimmick' was needed, but it worked fine. My only complaint would be that I didn't think they should've shown Paxton's 'visions'. Have the audience in the same position as his sons': Should we believe the old man or not?

Also it was a nice ending that I liked very much, and was amazed at some of the reviews that didn't seem to get it when the film clearly staked a position and was not ambiguous in the least.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:25 pm

Wow.

Sarcasm really doesn't work on these boards.

I like Laura Linney, but Julianne Moore is the superior presence by far....
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Thu May 01, 2008 1:17 am

Psst, Steve. Try this:

Steve Barber shoulda wrote:And let's not forget [sarcasm]Laura Linney wannabe Julianne Moore[/sarcasm] in The Forgotten, a film I've felt gets the short shrift from genre fans.

To be fair, I failed to read Ezra's and Frank's comments above yours, hence my hair-trigger indignation. (I actually read David's post before yours, because he is my leeeeeader. Ooo, sarcasm. Or is it?)

D.

p.s. For the record, I'm a big fan of both actors. No, I mean that. Crap, look what you've done, Steve.

rich

Postby rich » Thu May 01, 2008 5:05 am

Well, I got it, Steve. I just wanted to pile on by mentioning her yeoman work in ASSASSINS (one of her first big roles, I believe; though I'm too lazy to look it up on IMDB). Hell, people gotta start somewhere, right?

Oh, and I like that Moore can now show all her freckles since she's a major star. Check her out in ASSASSINS, or even her bit part on THE FUGITIVE compared to now. Lotsa makeup.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu May 01, 2008 9:02 am

Interesting, I guess I hadn't caught the makeup thing. Nice observation, I'm gonna have to go back and check it out.

("Honestly, honey, I'm doing research. Really.")
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu May 01, 2008 3:37 pm

I like Laura Linney, but Julianne Moore is the superior presence by far....

No way man.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri May 02, 2008 8:53 am

Could someone explain to me how we got to Laura Linney vs. Julianne Moore in a thread talking about The Mist?

Rich, as for your comment about not making any mistakes: mouth is shut and a stapler is nearby in case I need it to remain shut. Got your back, buddy.

Frailty is on my Netflix list. I have heard very good things about it and should get it in a couple of weeks.

Laura Linney is an excellent actress and a very well spoken woman, but I still like her best in Love, Actually (topless shot).

Julianne Moore certainly did cover up her freckles in the past, check her out in full glory in The Big Lebowski. Great actress, and I probably do prefer her to Linney as an actress. Her work in Children of Men was amazing.
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri May 02, 2008 10:00 am

markabaddon wrote:Great actress, and I probably do prefer her to Linney as an actress. Her work in Children of Men was amazing.

The Children of Men? The Children of Men??!!

I had totally forgotten she was in that one. That movie was all about Clive Owen and Michael Caine (who, I just learned, based his performance on John Lennon), for me.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

rich

Postby rich » Fri May 02, 2008 1:16 pm

You're right, Mark, we need to get this back on track, and I'll explain how Moore is relevant to the discussion.

Julianne Moore was actually in The Mist, but her scenes ended up on the cutting room floor. She was actually asked to play a harried housewife caught up in Harden's bible-thumping. The rumor as to why her scenes were left on the floor are that Moore wanted to play the housewife as the extension of the character she played in Magnolia. Darabont didn't agree, but, what the hell, it's Julianne Moore? So all you do is get through the scenes, and edit them out later, blaming "running time".

However, a scene popped up on the Internet. It's the first meeting between Drayton and Partridge (the lady she played in Magnolia). Goes like this:

David Drayton: You got that kid killed, and I got his fucking blood on me!
Linda Partridge: Motherfucker...
David Drayton: He's a fucking kid. He's supposed to be stupid. What's your excuse?
Linda Partridge: Who the fuck are you, who the fuck do you think you are? I come in here, you don't know me, you don't know who I am, what my life is, you have the balls, the indecency to ask me a question about my life?
David Drayton: Tie this around your waist.
Linda Partridge: Fuck you, too. Don't call me "lady". I come in here, I give these things to you, you check, you make your phone calls, look suspicious, ask questions. I'm sick. I have sickness all around me and you fucking ask me about my life? "What's wrong?" Have you seen death in your bed? In your house? Where's your fucking decency? And then I'm asked fucking questions. What's... wrong? You suck my dick. That's what's wrong. And you, you fucking call me "lady"? Shame on you. Shame on you. Shame on both of you.

The other scene, the only other scene she was in, went like this:

Ollie: We gotta discuss how we're going to stop that thing from getting in here.
Linda Partridge: Shut the fuck up.
Ollie: As a species, we're fundamentally insane. Put two of us in a room, we pick sides, and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another.
Linda Partridge: Shut the fuck up. Shut the fuck up.
Ollie: Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is 'expiation'.
Linda Partridge: Now, you must *really* shut the fuck up now, please - shut the fuck up.
David Drayton: Come on!
Linda Partridge: I have to go.
David Drayton: You have incredibly low standards.
Linda Partridge: Shut the fuck up.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri May 02, 2008 5:02 pm

Rich, I have told you before, mixing vodka and Nyquil is dangerous. Please have Kara drive you to an emergency room at once

Your friend,

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

paul

Postby paul » Thu May 08, 2008 12:03 am

Mark, Frailty is, as I'm sure you know, Paxton's directing debut, and I second, or third or eighth that it's good. It coulda been an Outer Limits episode on Earth. I was satisfied with the ending, and that's more than I can say for the Mist.
The medium is the message.

Return to “Pop Culture”