WARNING!! MOVIE TALK WITH SPOILERS!!!! (YOU BIN WARNED)

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:17 pm

Ezra - One of the awards won was a Peabody in 2005.

The current show gives a periodic nod to the source material, but rest assured the difference between the Galactica of the late seventies and the 21st century version is the difference between a McDonald's hamburger and a gourmet filet mignon dinner. Yes, essentially both involve a dead cow, but...

David - On my website I refer to a philosophy called "No Opportunity Wasted", which challenges you to set goals and do what you can to achieve them. Personal goals, not the endlessly done and redone professional goals. (Not a good description of the actual process, but basically correct.)

One of the 8 specific challenges is to "Rediscover your Childhood". I haven't updated the website yet, but I'm going to be building a model of either a WW2 ship, or one of the models you mention up above. I did a lot of model building as a kid, so it's a natural for rediscovery.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:12 pm

There's also that dreaded contingent - such as myself - that has never parted from the "child", and probably, in fact, has the OPPOSITE problem: an urgent need yet to GROW up.

ONE reason for this - I THINK - is that I never had the responsibilities of marriage and raising kids - something that demands more conscientiousness. If I had a kid I KNOW I'd be much more adult.

As is, I'm a free-wheelin' dude stuck in adolescent overdrive.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:26 pm

He is the great cornholio. He need teepee for his bunghole.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:40 pm

Spoiler Alert re: Frank

Understand the prevailing: It is clear that MOST of the time Frank is not actually reading posts, except for some occasions when he glides thru one or two. No. He is tossing in arbitrary nonsensicals, non sequiturs, and lame improvs like a blind turkey shoot.

It is therefore advised by the management of this theater to bear it in mind any time you expect a response (for lack of a better word) from Frank Church.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:44 pm

The management of this theater would like to disavow the previous assertion on behalf of the management of this theater.

Management
(Of this theater)

(Actually, more like "supervisor", but heck, the "big guy" is overseas...)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:54 pm

...and to add insult to what injury I'd like to think I've inflicted, it is close to his wet dream of a would-be anarchist as Frank will ever get in real life.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:17 pm

Mosquito bites are not injuries, unless we are dealing with the tropics, which may result in some neato diseases.

Getting under people's skin is a fine tradition--Twain to Carlin to Ellison, hoping I just do my part in infecting mankind's sense of his self importance, ground down to the nub.

Rob, you cannot swing with the big boys, so in that you are merely a nuisance.

-------------

Still haven't seen Indy. Shocking, huh?

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:18 pm

Anarchism is a way of life. Social darwinism is my bitch.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:22 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Getting under people's skin is a fine tradition--Twain to Carlin to Ellison ...

Ah ha! I knew you couldn't resist giving Carlin his props! "Almost dead to me," my ass.

D.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:29 pm

I also say good things about Hezbollah, don't overdramatize it.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:23 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I also say good things about Hezbollah, don't overdramatize it.

But these forums are my only chance to be on stage ...

D.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:16 pm

"But these forums are my only chance to be on stage ... "

What's wrong with the streets?

Plenty o'good space out there for rants, gibberish, epithets, and obscene bodily giggles. I do it. Peter Falk does it. JOIN us!

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:24 pm

robochrist wrote:"But these forums are my only chance to be on stage ... "

What's wrong with the streets?

Plenty o'good space out there for rants, gibberish, epithets, and obscene bodily giggles. I do it. Peter Falk does it. JOIN us!

I'm always afraid someone will push me off the soapbox and I'll twist something.

D.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:53 pm

The DEAD BEE:

I actually MEANT "jiggles" not "giggles", however mutually "fruity" they may be!

I don't know what the hell's been with my spelling lately. Typos are one thing - and I land plenty of THOSE. But when I'm staring straight at a misspelling and I miss it, I have to wonder how I was ever an ACE speller in my high school days!

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:11 pm

One more thing about the INVADERS and I'll leave it (don't want you thinking I'm a weirdo or something).

The packaging of the DVD box. The loving care given to what was essentially a second rate, occasionally interesting but not classic TV show. And even it pales next to the ULTRAMAN box.

Compare these to the original OUTER LIMITS boxes, which are shittily put together, discs packed tight against one another, back to back disc format (which I hate!) and cheap plastic box. And this really was a classic groundbreaking unforgettable show.

If the bastards are going to sell me back my childhood memories at least show a little care and creativity.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “Pop Culture”