Robert E. Howard & 10,000bc

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

kevinkirby

Robert E. Howard & 10,000bc

Postby kevinkirby » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:11 pm

During his panel discussion at WonderCon 2008, movie director Emmerich stated that R.E.H. is a major influence and that his film "10,000BC" may demonstrate that background. I suppose that this picture can be assumed to occur in some pre-Hyborian era, some time after the extinction of the wooly rhino but before the disappearance of mammoths and sabretooth cats.

Probably won't see it myself for a few weeks.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:18 pm

I hope he included Stegosaurs and Ankylosaurs.

They're my favorites.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:14 pm

Emmerich is the spawn of satan. Only a true heathen could have taken the God out of Godzilla. He shall never be forgiven, NEVER!

kevinkirby

Postby kevinkirby » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:27 pm

This film's starting to look more like ERB than REH, but with the correct colored inks and the title 10,000BC splashing across the top -- tilted and shaded, shrinking from left-to-right -- the ads could easily be a pulp cover from the Forties & Fifties.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:55 am

I took a bullet for you all.

I saw the movie so you don't have to.

Let's just say it lacks any intellectual component whatsoever.

My favorite part is how Our Heroes walk from what looks like the Swiss Alps to sub-Saharan Africa in a few hours.

The special effects are about what you would expect, nothing particularly memorable.

Once again the brown peoples of the earth languish in captivity and oppression waiting for the white guy (with dreadlocks!) to come liberate them.

Needless to say the depiction of the world in 10,000 bc has no similarity to how the world actually was in 10,000 bc. Surprise, surprise.

Well I've already written more than this flick deserves.

Actually it's not really bad like Independence Day or Day After Tomorrow, just kinda bland and forgettable.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Duane

Postby Duane » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:01 pm

>> Needless to say the depiction of the world in 10,000 bc has no similarity to how the world actually was in 10,000 bc. Surprise, surprise. <<

Of course not. If they wanted to be realistic, the entire movie would have consisted of a card reading "Still without form, and void. Check back in 6,000 years."

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:24 pm

Duane wrote:Of course not. If they wanted to be realistic, the entire movie would have consisted of a card reading "Still without form, and void. Check back in 6,000 years."

I have a question about that. Is the dating of the universe 7000 years from the writing of the Bible? If so, do we add 1500-or-so years to the total???

Are we up to 8500 years now????
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:37 pm

Barber wrote:
Duane wrote:Of course not. If they wanted to be realistic, the entire movie would have consisted of a card reading "Still without form, and void. Check back in 6,000 years."

I have a question about that. Is the dating of the universe 7000 years from the writing of the Bible? If so, do we add 1500-or-so years to the total???

Are we up to 8500 years now????

Of course not!!!!

The universe was created on a THURSDAY!

Everybody knows that.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

kevinkirby

Caught the Matineé -- POTENTIAL SPOILER

Postby kevinkirby » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:38 pm

At an unusually well-attended early monday showing, I tried my best to spot the aforementioned Howard inspirations. If there are any such references in this film, they are of the most loosely-based and watered-down variety. Although 10,000BC's cinematographer of would make a welcome addition to an actual adaptation of a Howard story, in this film the plot is purely an Emmerich pastiche.

Imagine, in a Hyborian setting, Shemitish slavers travelling to and from Cimmeria in a matter of days, resorting to a river that somehow passes through Kush. When they arrive at their destination -- a poorly manned, Stygian-themed outpost -- it's a simple matter to chase them, by hiking through a desert. The overlords of this oddly located outpost, who seem to be displaced Pacific islander-types intent on building a super ship for a return voyage, have no magic to speak of. Instead, they employ a wooly mammoth herd to build a cluster of pyramids and temples, all in a vain quest to construct a craft capable of leaving the tiny river and travelling back to an unseen sea.

The characters all look the part, and lots of cinematic action-sequence is contained within the impossible geography of the setting. Perhaps this derivative eye-candy will go on to inspire a more faithful adaptation, somewhere down the road.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:55 pm

Ezra,

"waiting for the white guy (with dreadlocks!) to come liberate them."

You have a problem with that? I don't understand.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:27 am

Well it would have been ok if it wasn't obviously hair extensions. Kinda killed the "willing suspension of disbelief" (such as it was) for me.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:41 pm

Emetic Emmerich. haha

Return to “Pop Culture”