Watchmen

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

David Loftus

Watchmen

Postby David Loftus » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:21 pm

I'm surprised none of you dedicated Web surfers has run across this preview of costumes for "The Watchmen" yet:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/watch ... hp?id=6887
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

rich

Postby rich » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:37 pm

Yeah, but not much to say on it. There seems to be a lot of discussion from fanboy types who immediately denounce the movie 'cause of the costumes, but I think it's in keeping with the tone of the comic.

Honestly not sure if I'll go see it or not. Aw, who the hell am I kidding? Of course, I'm going to see it just so I can take the contrarian view of the audience I see it with and see if I can start some fisticuffs. If they love it, I'll hate it. If they hate it, I'll love it. (And who am I kidding? The fanboys are gonna hate it anyway 'cause the guy who plays Owl Man or whatever the hell he's called won't have a paunch like the one in the comics, or the movie will get the coloring wrong from issue 7, panel 6.)

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:54 am

Dang it rich you're right!

Rorschach's belt is tied on the wrong side.

That kills it for me.

Saw an IRON MAN trailer this weekend past. Looked tough. They got my attention by casting Downey. You don't think it might just be possible, maybe, perhaps, they won't eff it up?
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:12 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:Saw an IRON MAN trailer this weekend past. Looked tough. They got my attention by casting Downey. You don't think it might just be possible, maybe, perhaps, they won't eff it up?

I saw a TV ad a week or two ago (was it during "Lost"?). Didn't look too bad to me, either. I really enjoy Downey -- good casting choice.

And the ad climaxed with the Black Sabbath classic . . . gotta love that.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:18 pm

Well, I like Black Sabbath more than I liked the movie modifications of the suit design. They make Iron Man look like one of the LA Kings.

That aside, I watch for the results with a wary and very wearied eye - only because of Downey.

On the Marvel-to-movie translations, I finally made up my mind that ultimately NONE measure up for me - some being far more disastrously disappointing than others (the FF - my all-time favorite comics creation - really drove that nail in).

For now, though, I've still an open mind for Iron Man.

Over Watchmen, however, I'm far MORE purist and pessimistic. Not because of geek-issues like the costumes, but because the material is SO complex and layered and thematic that I doubt - in my deepest heart - there's talent and vision out there in the studios to even scratch it.

The movie format alone is a signal. It's going to compress far too much narrative. The Watchmen was not just about tone; it got deep into character development and explored real ideas. "Tone" by itself is not going to do it any justice. "Capturing some of the elements and feel of the graphic novel" will not be sufficient. The only format that can lay out the long threads is the tv mini-series. That's the only way they could do it justice.

So, I really don't give a rat's ass about this movie. (Did we not learn from the 'Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy' travesty?)

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:36 am

Rich, you do something contrarian? Say it ain't so!

I am cautiously optimistic about this film, as I think Zach Snyder is a fairly skilled director and want to see what he can do with a meatier subject than 300.

One aspect of the graphic novel I was sure they would drop in the movie version would be the Tales of the Black Ship subplot, but apparently it is staying in, as Gerard Butler will be doing the voice work of the shipwrecked sailor

It will be interesting to see what they will have to cut out from the graphic novel to make the movie
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:33 pm

Zack Snyder is a bomb ass director; just look at the remake of Dawn Of The Dead to prove that.

Just pray that the film will be better than Dare-fucking-devil.

Affleck needs to stick with directing.

Him and Damon could get back to script writing, some day soon as well.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:37 pm

Don't know if anybody else mentioned this, but I picked up word on something that is instantly more appealing than the movie. Dave Gibbons will be publishing Watching the Watchmen, a look at the genesis of the graphic novel through early design and script work, soon. Publisher is Titan Books, distributed by Random House. Pub date October, price $40.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:54 pm

It is also available from your LCS (Local Comics Shop).

They can order it through the Diamond Previews order book. Orders at the LCS should be placed no later than July 16, although many dealers don't send in their orders until the ends of the month.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:26 am

A couple Beatles photo collections caught my eye on the mark-down cart outside Borders yesterday morning, so I dropped in and bought them.

On a shelf above the cashiers' alley I noticed a boxed set of the Watchmen. I asked if it were clothbound (I have a complete trade paperback edition.) The kid couldn't say for sure because it was shrink-wrapped, but he thought it was, and the price is $75.

Anybody have this, or know whether there's any extra contents besides the original story series?

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:31 pm

Alan Coil wrote:It is also available from your LCS

You worship at the Church of the LCS, too?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:57 pm

I have to admit a hopefully not-too-prurient thought regarding the costuming of Doctor Manhattan. I sincerely hope we're not subjected to little pixelated dancing fairies -- or worse, he's dressed in a white lab coat...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

rich

Postby rich » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:56 pm

In case anyone hasn't hepped you to it yet, David, the copy of WATCHMEN you saw was ABSOLUTE WATCHMEN (I'm absolutely sure). Well worth the price as I don't think it's readily available from outlets, other than what's on the shelf. Extras include scripts and outlines on the characters. Probably other stuff, but I don't have my copy in front of me.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:00 pm

Thanks for the tip, rich. I may just have to pick it up.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:09 am

I have to admit a hopefully not-too-prurient thought regarding the costuming of Doctor Manhattan. I sincerely hope we're not subjected to little pixelated dancing fairies -- or worse, he's dressed in a white lab coat...

Think...armor.

My favorite superhero armor moment was a deservedly short-lived TV series from a while back of the FLASH. Flash armor! Adrian Samish must have had something to do with that!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Return to “Pop Culture”