Watchmen

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

User avatar
David Loftus
Posts: 3182
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Postby David Loftus » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:42 pm

Ezra Lb. wrote:I heard someone the other day refer to "non-graphic" novels, you know...with words...



I dunno.

American Psycho seemed pretty graphic.

[Sorry.]
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

reddragon70
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:06 am

Postby reddragon70 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:19 am

David Loftus wrote:
Barber wrote:Sequel?

Franchise?



On the one hand, it suggests they expect this one to be a big hit.

On the other. . . .


Good point there. I am not sure it will be the huge success its expected to be. After all its based upon a comic that is over 20 years old and ran to only 12 issues. Yes its a hugely important 12 issues in terms of the comic industry and what they could and would do in the future, but its still a cult following. I have no idea whether it will be a success in the mainstream market. I would love it to be a success because its a wonderful storyand one that i have loved since its first printing. I want it to fail because I hate the idea of hollywood making a sequal and fucking the whole thing up so badly that it makes my skin want to crawl off my bones.

User avatar
David Loftus
Posts: 3182
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Postby David Loftus » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:12 pm

reddragon70 wrote:I am not sure it will be the huge success its expected to be. After all its based upon a comic that is over 20 years old and ran to only 12 issues.



The provenance is largely beside the point. Hollywood lives outside of history -- because most of its audience does, too. I'd guesstimate that maybe 85 percent, if not more, of the people who bought tickets to see "Iron Man" had never opened a Marvel comic book featuring that character in their lives. The same will hold true of however many or few people end up going to see the Watchmen film.

The haggling over franchise and sequels is merely a (very rough) measure of how impressive and promising the ignorant producers and financiers of the project have judged the latest product to be.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

User avatar
John E Williams
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:34 am

Postby John E Williams » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:52 pm

( SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT SPOILER ALERT - Ye Olde Mod )


WATCHMEN does seem to be carrying a 'must see' vibe that goes beyond the usual fanboy fanbase, and this may very well translate into boffo box office. It's being marketed very cleverly and very mysteriously, so unless it's massively godawful I suspect it will do very well.

If so, we're inevitably in for some comic sequels and prequels (Len Wein has just written the script for a video game that is an example of the latter, so the rubicon has been crossed). DC will probably do the smart thing and keep all continuity in the pre-murdered Comedian past, but other than that my guess is anything's game. How bothersome this is depends I suppose on your point of view. To me, sequels and prequels are pointless because there's nowhere to go from the end of the main story, and all the major events of the characters' pasts have been thoroughly delineated. So anything that gets created will be hamstrung and probably very boring. Once the film runs its course any new WATCHMEN comics won't last long, is my guess.

reddragon70
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:06 am

Postby reddragon70 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:42 pm

I take it this would be Hollywood execs saying those all too familiar words "I know how we can milk this cash cow some more.... lets make up shit the original author didnt amd make a sequal!"

I am sorry but every time they have done that its been a sham and a mess and a goddam insult to the source material.

Would you be happy about "A Boy And His Dog 2"? How about 3 or 4? Ok how about Blade Runner 2 or 3?

It takes a director with serious talent to make a good sequal. Aliens being probably the best example when Cameron took the helm (and look how poor the other films after look in comparison). There really trully should be someone emplyed by every studio whose job it is to scream "GOOD GOD NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" at these moronic execs

User avatar
John E Williams
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:34 am

Postby John E Williams » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:41 pm

Er... sorry for the spoiler (I assume it was about the character whose name begins with 'C'). Didn't occur to me that it wasn't a known plot point.

I'm not doing this very well here, am I? Geez, I run a message board; you think I'd have it down by now.

reddragon70
Posts: 516
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:06 am

Postby reddragon70 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:28 am

I am afraid I have to say BOLLOCKS! I opened my big mouth and now its come to pass... Some diot in Hollywood has decided that what the world really needs is Blade Runner 2. Yep its true. So far nothing is happening as its in production hell, hopefully to remain there forever. It was mentioned in SFX this month. :roll: :evil:

User avatar
Moderator
Site Admin
Posts: 10607
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:17 pm
Contact:

Postby Moderator » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:01 am

John E Williams wrote:Er... sorry for the spoiler (I assume it was about the character whose name begins with 'C'). Didn't occur to me that it wasn't a known plot point.

I'm not doing this very well here, am I? Geez, I run a message board; you think I'd have it down by now.



Eh, no worries. Just a lot of hypersensitivity to spolers hereabouts -- and it is a rather fundamental plot point you revealed.

And as for Blade Runner 2 ... the less said ... the better...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

User avatar
David Loftus
Posts: 3182
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:15 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Postby David Loftus » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:39 am

I'm not sure what the fuss is about here. The event mentioned is depicted on page two or three of the entire series, Rorschach is immediately suspicious about the death (which any reader would naturally be, too; and if memory serves, isn't C shown being shoved by hands in that initial sequence?).

Unless it was the spoiler that _______ wrote the script for a video game. That just ruined everything for me.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

User avatar
John E Williams
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:34 am

Postby John E Williams » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:27 pm

The only answer is to turn to "The Condensed Watchmen" (an adaptation of the comic using stick figures).

http://community.livejournal.com/scans_ ... 15867.html

User avatar
John E Williams
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:34 am

Postby John E Williams » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:30 pm

^^SPOILERS AT LINK^^ (also, laffs)

User avatar
Moderator
Site Admin
Posts: 10607
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:17 pm
Contact:

Postby Moderator » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:41 pm

If this were the Pavilion, you'd both be flame-roasted by now.

:roll:
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

User avatar
John E Williams
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:34 am

Postby John E Williams » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:03 pm

I ain't a-scared. Do your worst.

User avatar
Moderator
Site Admin
Posts: 10607
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:17 pm
Contact:

Postby Moderator » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:16 pm

John E Williams wrote:I ain't a-scared.


(Pokes you with a Yoda-staff)


Oh, but you will be. You will be...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

User avatar
John E Williams
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:34 am

Postby John E Williams » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:13 am

Here's an excellent and thought-provoking piece by writer Steven Grant on the current state of comics. He does some superb analysis of WATCHMEN that dovetails quite nicely with some of the discussion in this thread.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=19027

WATCHMEN didn't exist to create a franchise. It existed to tell a story. Period. You may not like the story, you may love the story, you may not think it was worth telling or whatever, but all that's irrelevant. It existed to tell a story. A story. Prequels? Sequels? Regular series? Why? No need for them. People want to read new Rorschach stories? So what? Is there anything of importance anyone needs to know about Rorschach that isn't already in WATCHMEN? Would a secret failed marriage or an unmentioned half-brother or expanded rogues gallery or any of the other soap opera tripe that passes for characterization in superhero comics make him a better character? In fact, WATCHMEN is anti-franchise.


Return to “Pop Culture”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests