Watchmen

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:28 pm

The virtue of WHAT?

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:40 pm

FrankChurch wrote:David, try to say something nice about me or to me every now and again and I will be nicer.

I don't really need you to be nicer, I need you to be more focused. Please try to be a little more on point and leave off posting tangential jabs and cutesy quips to threads you don't really give a damn about. It's just irritating.

FrankChurch wrote:I have been royally fucked over most of my life. Stories that would make your hair stand on end. You, on the other hand have had it pretty good. Be thankful, you are doing good. Most people find the pit of hell as the welcome mat.

I was bullied as a child and Harlan taught me in his writing to fight back. I rarely use actual violence, so you have the verbal jab.

Okay. I apologize for flying off the handle at you today. It was highly unlike me -- certainly in these environs -- which at the time I thought would make my point. You're certainly not the only person (or inanimate object) I yelled at today; I think I'm angry with my body for failing me and hurting me.

What I think I was trying to suggest to you is: If you were fighting for (or over) something you really believed in, I could respect that. But so many of your posts are cheap shots -- at things you haven't investigated, things you don't care about . . . The Watchmen being the current example. Too much of the time, you sound like you DON'T care about what's being discussed. because "you're above it all." It obviously ain't true, or you wouldn't be sticking your head in where it don't belong.

I readily grant I've had a pretty charmed life. I even grant that I've probably wasted some of that wonderful legacy. But I try to use my tools where they do some good.

Couldn't you just learn to leave well enough alone? If you don't give a shit, don't give a shout.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:43 pm

Now I'm hoping we can get back to the topic of this thread. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to crack the cover of my copy until next week, after I've finished my homework (review Friedman book, polish a monologue for my Shakespeare scene study class, possibly another audition, two shows of "Antigone," ALS fundraiser walk . . . all in the same weekend. . . .)
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:16 pm

...and, indeed, returning to Watchmen, I still wait with curiosity how the movie version reconciles the beautiful complexity of the narrative shifts and thematic undercurrents.

From images I googled, they're apparently keeping intact the "EC-Comics digression" within the novel where the kid is always reading the horrific shipwreck story. If they're being THAT faithful to the script I wonder how much else they'll keep in there. I REALLY dug the symbolic reference of the perfume bottle falling to the floor throughout the chapter on Mars; it's precisely that kind of juxtaposition - which you see throughout the whole damn piece - I love more than anything else in W. With all the characters it follows so carefully I can only believe the movie will ultimately compress the lyricism rendering the whole thing chaotic.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:58 pm

I finished the rest of it last night. My copy of Absolute Watchmen includes about five single-spaced pages in which Moore describes in incredible detail what might be shown visually on JUST THE FIRST PAGE of panels for the entire series. Many of those details could not be included, but many of them ARE there, and your sense of sheer density of the design of this masterpiece is enhanced.

And Frank's a fool for refusing to bother to read it before the movie comes out and inevitably changes everyone's perception of the original work.

(And oh, I also finished War & Peace last night. It was a good evening. . . .)

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:53 am

I've skimmed Watchman. I will not be seeing the movie.

I will do my best to look at more of it. War And Peace, however may take time.

Lots to read and little time. So is the sum of life.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:27 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I've skimmed Watchman.

Lots to read and little time. So is the sum of life.

Typo? WatchmEn.

One of my grade school teachers marked down my essay grade because I used the word 'lots' when I meant 'a lot'. She was correct. Unless one is talking about real estate, 'lots' is a sloppy-writing word.

We expect you to get better with age, Frank.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:43 pm

Coil, I was using comic book slang. You see lots in many comic pages, especially from the lips of Ben Grimm.

Your teacher was right, and a saint.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:15 pm

FrankChurch wrote:I've skimmed Watchman.

Skimming is precisely what you should NOT do with a work this dense. You're lucky if you'll be able to follow the plotlines on a skim, never mind all the marvelous details, visual clues and jokes, that are noticeable or even comprehensible only the second or third time around.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:22 pm

"Lots to read and little time. So is the sum of life."

That's called housecleaning with bullshit.

Yeah, yeah...War & Peace, eh?

Tom C

Postby Tom C » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:36 pm

A local reviewer saw a 30 minute preview of Watchmen:

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/inde ... chmen.html

He thinks it's next years blockbuster. But it also says:

"But as a big a hit as this will undoubtedly be next March, it's likely that the most loyal "Watchmen" fans may find some of its costumes a little empty, its world slightly two-dimensional. And leave the theater in search only of a quiet place, a few hours, and the chance to crack open their dog-eared copies and disappear into the real "Watchmen" universe all over again."

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:36 am

Hello Tom, where did you come from?

I promise to protect you from these people.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:31 pm

Lots to read and little time.

There's plenty of time to read if you chuck that damn TV.

Books are food.

“It is difficult to get the news from poems, yet men die every day for want of what is found there.”
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

kevinkirby

Who is Alan Moore?

Postby kevinkirby » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:49 pm

I actually got into Promethia and the League, before going back and finding the heavily recommended Watchmen.

Should we now expect a cinematic Halo Jones?

One thing to mention: the book of the comic script for From Hell. It's in a rather limited edition but well worth the search, if one seeks to delve more deeply into the workings of this unusually powerful sequentialist.

Tom C

Postby Tom C » Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:49 pm

Hello Tom, where did you come from?

I promise to protect you from these people.

I've been around for a while. I rarely post though.

Return to “Pop Culture”