Paranormal Activity

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

rich

Postby rich » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:05 pm

My last thoughts on FUNNY GAMES 'cause I don't think it deserves this much discussion.

I didn't find it scary, just uncomfortable, mostly because I had to take a piss halfway through it. And that seems to be the whole point of the movie, to generate discomfort in those that don't agree with it, and titilation to those that do.

But if I wanted to be uncomfortable, I can just read about the real-life "Girl Next Door". If I want insight, I look to books or movies that can give me some insight, not just a blow by blow description. (And that's why I didn't like Ketchum's novel.)

If Haneke just wants to generate discussion, then I'll grant him that he's done so. But I don't think the movie actually contributes anything to the discussion anymore than the news article I've linked to above other than a "can you believe that?"

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:46 pm

Jesus Christ (cancel Easter--they found the body!), the ringleader in that article was Dixon's social worker? (More accurately, the "coordinator for a regional center that helps the developmentally disabled with housing and other services.") I wonder how much Riley's meth addiction had to do with anything?

And if you're looking for a book that explores similar territory as The Girl Next Door, but does it with infinitely greater depth and insight, check out Mendal Johnson's Let's go play at the Adams' sometime. I warn you, though: it's brilliantly-written, but as soul-crushingly bleak as anything you'll ever read.
--
"His plan therefore was not to refuse admission to the idea, but to keep it at bay until his mind was ready to receive it. Then let it in and pulverise it. Obliterate the bastard."--Samuel Beckett

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:42 pm

You know, it's much scarier with the sound off. That bit with the door slowly closing really freaked me, but fortunatley they returned to standard Hollywood quick editing, so I could sleep again.

Lying in bed in a strange room and just watching the shadows can be a terrifying experience. Any film that could capture that would be brilliant. But it woul require patience, and yes, quiet.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:55 pm

I'm still fucked up that Steven King loves Jumper.

---------------

Rich, I read The Girl Next Door as well. Jesus, wasn't that awful?

A girl gets slowly raped and tortured for the whole book--by kids!

This is why I read non-fiction. The real world is safer.

rich

Postby rich » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:48 pm

I'll check that out, Jim.

And, yeah, The Girl Next Door was awful, Frank, but I guess that was his point. I don't mind reading something horrifying like that ('cause I'm a sick puppy), but I really want some gravy or something to go along with the meat, otherwise it's too dry and overdone.

I must also confess that I don't see what the big deal about Ketchum is. I know King likes him, and I think a bunch of you guys on the board like him, but I don't see it. It's not that he writes badly, I just don't see what others see in him. I've also read The Lost, and Peaceable Kingdom, but...I'm not one of the converted about this guy's unique talent.

Return to “Pop Culture”