Old Playstation 2

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

kevinkirby

Old Playstation 2

Postby kevinkirby » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:28 pm

After the recent game technology upgrades -- XBox to XBox360, PS2 to PS3, etc. -- some of the older consoles have become easier to find. As a result, for the past three month I've been trying out an old ps2 that somebody had left out in a free bin.

All it needed was some laser lens cleaning to remove the pesky "disc read error" messages, and soon I was able to pick up a variety of games as gifts or on craigslist. Such titles as ROGUE TROOPER and LOTR the 3rd age were soon absorbing hours of time, then leading to 007: AGENT UNDER FIRE and MEDAL OF HONOR FRONTLINE.

A great deal of work is put into these things, I must admit, but one which truly stands out is SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS. If you have one of these obsolete ps2 boxes, Colossus will probably be remembered as the top tomato in this particular industry.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:44 pm

Kevin,

Funny thing about that game. It got great reviews, but when I bought a copy for my Little Brother (who was 15 at the time), he found the game very repetitive.

For what it is worth, my PS2 has been my closest companion during this period of unemployment. My Madden 2008 skills have risen to a sick level

Mark
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

kevinkirby

Facing the Colossi

Postby kevinkirby » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:49 pm

There is definitely a repetitiveness to this game, in terms of trying to climb up the hairy bits on each colossus while it's wildly twisting about. Still, when it got to that last rock god, all that extra button practice from the first 15 giants was barely enough to keep me in the game. But it wasn't the gameplay itself that made this game such a memorable experience. It was the music and atmosphere, different for each of the various locations, that seemed -- to me -- unusually evocative of an overall strangeness of mood.

Return to “Pop Culture”